Author Topic: 2nd brisket in the #3 with auber from the other week  (Read 2170 times)

curegeorg

2nd brisket in the #3 with auber from the other week
« on: September 05, 2016, 03:10:18 PM »
Well, apparently I got a bad probe spot because it tried to tell me it was done about 4 hours early.  After many other probe spots I found a reasonable one, but then several hours later the flat came out somewhat dry (ie needed a little sauce).  The point was awesome.  No one said anything to me, but I was not thrilled with the flat and no one said it was awesome either!

Updating my first brisket, we will attribute that crumbly flat to not having an electric knife - the electric knife solved my cutting issues.  The first one was just about perfect otherwise.  Thanks for the tip on the electric knife!

My only other thought is I trimmed a lot of fat from between the muscles (hard white fat) and may have gone a little far with the trimming there (1st one I did not trim as much there).  I could have also gotten a less than optimal flat, but it looked pretty good and was prime.

How much fat do you guys remove from between the two muscles?  First one was still one solid piece of meat, second had a hole through it because I took out almost all of that fat.  I watched some videos and it may have screwed me up, my first one was just a touch greasy, but I'd rather go that way than dry.
Coolio from Central NC

#3 with auber

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: 2nd brisket in the #3 with auber from the other week
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 12:50:12 AM »
I don't trim any fat from between the muscles. I've seen videos where they do. Bad idea I think. Most of those videos trim way too much. I don't think trimming between the muscles is necessary (of course, I separate the point and flat because of my #1, read on). I just shave down that really huge glob on the top to about 1/2 inch. If I'm being really fussy, 3/8 inch fat is the absolute thinnest I will go. Score the thick areas of surface fat, it will help them soften and render, without drying out the meat.

That was probably me who recommended the electric knife for brisket. I also have a 12" Victrorinox Granton Edge slicing knife, which is awesome, but for tender brisket, can't beat the electric. Franklin used an electric to slice his brisket for competition bbq, so I'm not going to be ashamed of that.

I have had GREAT results with whole packer brisket on my #1. To fit, I need to separate the point from the flat, and smoke on separate racks. Everyone here says it is best to smoke in one piece...but sometimes I wonder if separating gives me some advantages. I put the point on the bottom rack fat side down. Flat goes on the top rack fat side up. The point on the bottom, which can handle a little more heat, protects the flat on the top rack from direct heat. This is also a good reason that I leave plenty of fat on the top of the point (which is facing the direct heat from the element/wood box). The point always seems to get to 200-205 at almost the same time as the flat gets to 195. Also, it is my theory that the internal size of the smoker to meat mass ratio seems to be almost ideal for maintaining box temp, moisture, space around meat for smoke, etc.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 01:11:55 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: 2nd brisket in the #3 with auber from the other week
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 08:53:46 PM »
I, too, never remove fat from between the point and flat!  I pretty much use the Franklin trimming method (Youtube his videos on trimming a brisket).  Get the really thick, hard fat from the exterior and trim the fat cap to about an 1/4" thick.  I like to score the fat cap, in about 1" squares, to allow brine and/or rub to penetrate to the meat.  You are right - better to have brisket a little "greasy" rather than dry!

Hate to start this, but I'm a "fat cap down" guy!  I like that fat to shield the meat from the heat below!  If the smoke box was above the brisket, I'd be a fat cap up guy! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!