Author Topic: On the menu for tomorrow around 7pm  (Read 5123 times)

rettaps

On the menu for tomorrow around 7pm
« on: July 05, 2016, 07:34:46 PM »
Hi,
First brisket for me, please give me tips how you would do it.
I see there are several nice recipes posted, but maybe one of the pros here like divotmaker has one that's a proven winner :) let me know
Titus
Elkton, SD
3D Smokin-it

Glock_21

Re: On the menu for tomorrow around 7pm
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 07:48:44 PM »
Mix up a batch of Tony's brisket injection and then coat it with your favorite rub.  Let the SI do the rest.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2230.0

Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 08:16:47 PM »
...And give about an hours-worth of Morton's Tender Quick coating, for a beautiful faux smoke ring!  Be sure to rinse it well, before applying oil (or mustard) and rub!  Smoke at 225 until it hits around 190, then give it a test.  You're looking for a jiggly consistency, toothpick goes in easy.  Soft, and pliable, and wet bark.  Once you hit that, double-wrap in HD foil, and place in a cooler surrounded by towels for at least an hour (2-3, if you have time).  The rest in the cooler is a critical step!

Glad you like the injection, Travis! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

rettaps

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 08:20:26 PM »
So no brine the previous evening?
Titus
Elkton, SD
3D Smokin-it

rettaps

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 08:28:16 PM »
Ok, just read this, I guess I need to prepare it tonight,
However I don't have an injector, never did that before,
Could I somehow make a rub with mustard or something and do that instead of injecting?
Titus
Elkton, SD
3D Smokin-it

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 08:40:40 PM »
So no brine the previous evening?

We're into different techniques, and that's good!  First of all, this applies to packers (full) only, I don't smoke flats. 

OK, I do them a couple of different ways (actually, 3, but who's counting?).  First way:  If you have the ability to brine a large brisket, by all means, do so!  I use my pork butt brine, for 12-13 hours, and it works great!  Depending on the size of the brisket, brining can be a logistical nightmare! 

So, if the brisket is too big, I go to #2:  Trim, and coat the brisket with Tender Quick, wrap in plastic and rest in the fridge for 45 min to an hour.  Rinse thoroughly, and inject with my brisket injection.  Re-wrap in plastic, and let rest in the fridge overnight. 

Method 3 is the ultimate Lazy Q:  Trim, and give the TQ treatment, rub and throw in the smoker!  This works on the really big ones (17+ lbs).  There's just enough meat mass that you don't need the "extras" to retain moisture.

I always smoke with a water pan, on the floor next to the smoke box, for moisture.  I also smoke brisket at 225, but I'm intrigued that Brian (Pork Belly) smokes his at 210!  I shoot for around 190-195, depending on the "feel," and use 6-7 oz of mesquite, hickory, oak, or a combination of them.  I, personally, like those three best on beef, as it's a meat that can handle the stronger smoke very well!

They always get a insulated rest in the cooler for at least an hour, to let the meat reabsorb the liquid and relax. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 05:09:03 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 08:49:19 PM »
That's a good-size flat.  I would recommend brining, if you're able, the rinse/rub/smoke tomorrow.
Tony from NW Arkansas

rettaps

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 10:47:22 PM »
So I put this right Into smoker after brine and rub? Don't even need to be trimmed?
Titus
Elkton, SD
3D Smokin-it

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 11:07:45 PM »
So I put this right Into smoker after brine and rub? Don't even need to be trimmed?

No!  Most briskets need to be trimmed, before any other steps.  Take off the really "hard" fat, around the edges.  Trim the main part of the fat cap to about 1/4 -1/2" thickness.  Score the remaining fat cap in about 1" squares, just down to the meat.  This will aid in brine/rub penetration.  Look at some posts, in the beef section, to get an idea.  You can also hit YouTube and watch any of the Aaron Franklin videos on brisket.
Tony from NW Arkansas

rettaps

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 12:33:12 AM »
Ok, trimmed it, back in brine, took off the hard fat and trimmed the fat cap as well, hope I left enough fat on there, but will see tomorrow :)
Titus
Elkton, SD
3D Smokin-it

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 07:38:52 PM »
Everyone overtrims their brisket the first time, the second time...it's kind of fun, and hard to stop trimming! But once you've had some of that delicious brisket fat cap to eat, you'll stop that nonsense. Leave 1/4 to 1/2 inch! Just take the big thick hunks off.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

rettaps

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 11:46:44 PM »
Ok guys,
That was better then I expected, was a little dry though.
Things I would do different next time.
Trim less fat, take it out at 195 and smoke it around 200 so it's not so dry.
Does that make sense? Also brining it the night before was also unnecessary, according to videos I've seen on YouTube.
Titus
Elkton, SD
3D Smokin-it

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 09:26:44 AM »
Brining is not "necessary", but it definitely makes a difference. I would strongly recommend either brining, injecting, or both next time. I don't usually bother with injecting as the brine only works for me.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 11:00:37 PM »
Also brining it the night before was also unnecessary, according to videos I've seen on YouTube.

Don't believe everything you see on YouTube. ;)   Brining does make a difference.  Do a flat without it, and you'll see the difference for yourself.  What temp did you take it out at (you didn't say)?
Tony from NW Arkansas

rettaps

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2016, 01:23:12 PM »
Took it out at 189, wrapped it in foil at 163 so it doesn't dry out.
Titus
Elkton, SD
3D Smokin-it