Author Topic: 2D Temp swing question  (Read 3220 times)

smoker-n-a-nap

2D Temp swing question
« on: March 21, 2016, 07:16:51 PM »
Hi guys. Longtime listener, firsttime caller.

I have a #1 and have for a little over a year now. I've done fish twice now. Once salmon that turned out amazing (I think it was during the winter time. Last weekend I did cero mackerel and noticed temp swings of 60+ deg. Outside air temps were around 45-50 deg. I started the smoke at 175 and noticed it was getting up well over 225 so I turned it down (about 150) for awhile and it stayed in the 200s, then to 210 and I just could not keep a good low temp for very long. I opened the box once or twice to drop the temp. The fish turned out pretty dry but actually tasted great in a Florida Keys fish dip. I should note that I use the iCelcius probes for monitoring meat temps and smoker box temps.

Question: I'm considering upgrading to the 2D (so I don't have to worry as much about fish and jerky/cheese with the more precise temps). Is this a correct assumption? I know the chips continue producing heat will continue after the heating element shuts off... so will the PID really alleviate this problem? What have your experiences been with temp swings with the "D" models ? Thanks and happy smoking!  ~ JH - St. Paul, MN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: 2D Temp swing question
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 09:31:22 PM »
Hi JH, and glad you finally found us!

Yes, to put it simply, the D models, or standalone Auber PID added to your current smoker, will eliminate those swings.  Temps hold within a degree, so temp-sensitive smokes are never effected by the swings! 

Even with the analog controller, if you are seeing +60° swings, it is probably due to combustion of your wood.  Are you using chips or chunks, and what's the source of your wood?  Not uncommon, with some of the big box store woods.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

smoker-n-a-nap

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 05:04:25 PM »
Thanks for the response DivotMaker.
I was using Oklahoma Joe's™ Cherry Wood Chips from Menards with chip grate. Chunks would help out with the swings ?

After more research on the D models, I was turned off by the inability to use in very cold weather. I like to smoke in all weather conditions. I live up in MinneSnowta der hey.

JackT

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 05:14:24 PM »
Thanks for the response DivotMaker.
I was using Oklahoma Joe's™ Cherry Wood Chips from Menards with chip grate. Chunks would help out with the swings ?

After more research on the D models, I was turned off by the inability to use in very cold weather. I like to smoke in all weather conditions. I live up in MinneSnowta der hey.
Not sure that I'm interpreting you correctly, but I purchased the 3D specifically for use in colder weather. It has proven to work wonders with it's heavy insulation, so don't be concerned about that. It really does hold it's heat where you want it.

Secondly, no one is putting enough wood in these smokers to create the temp swings you're talking about. If you're concerned about your wood igniting, wrap it in foil with a couple of holes in it to release the smoke. It will still give you the same amount of smoke, possibly over a longer period of time. Hope you figure out your temp issue, but if you're still on the fence on one of the "D"s, rest assured that it would solve your temp swings.
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
Custom Rotisserie Smoker Trailer
SI 3D

JackT

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 05:18:15 PM »
Hi JH, and glad you finally found us!

Yes, to put it simply, the D models, or standalone Auber PID added to your current smoker, will eliminate those swings.  Temps hold within a degree, so temp-sensitive smokes are never effected by the swings! 

Even with the analog controller, if you are seeing +60° swings, it is probably due to combustion of your wood.  Are you using chips or chunks, and what's the source of your wood?  Not uncommon, with some of the big box store woods.
When I cook with my Weber smoker, obviously I'm throwing chunks of wood right into the coals and I soak them to keep them from combusting. Have you ever used soaked chunks or chips with the SI's. Seems like it would just slow down the smoke. Curious to hear of your experience with that.
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
Custom Rotisserie Smoker Trailer
SI 3D

smoker-n-a-nap

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 05:26:22 PM »
Hi JackT.

I read somewhere on this forum about the Auber PID itself not working when the weather was in the teens. I am not worried about getting the actual smoker up to temp in cold weather. I use the #1 in very cold temps and it never has a problem.

I've tried soaking them before but I've read that the best smoke comes from properly dried wood (not sure if this is true or not). I like the tinfoil idea. I can give that a shot as well as chunks . I'll also be talking with Steve at the Deer and Turkey Expo next weekend. Thanks for the ideas.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 07:45:16 PM »
The idea that the Auber controller does not work in cold weather is false.  The only problem you will run into is if the sensors (probes) are extremely cold.  But, you can warm them up with water, or your warm hand, before starting the smoke.  Once they are warmed above freezing, there is no problem!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!