Author Topic: Kamado vs. electric  (Read 12983 times)

Greenman72

Kamado vs. electric
« on: December 30, 2015, 04:17:57 PM »
First post ever.  Just looking for information. 

I already own a Large Big Green Egg and a Weber Genesis.  But, I'm debating on buying a #3 or #3-D.  (Note that this would be "in addition to" the other grills.  It would not be a "replacement for" either.) 

Can anybody tell me what the relative advantages/disadvantages are?  Is the food better/worse/same as what you'd get out of a kamado?  Is it really that much easier than a kamado (with a BBQ guru)?  Can you store it outside like a kamado?  Can you use it in sub-freezing temps like a kamado? 

I'm not getting rid of my Big Green Egg, but if these things produce food that's just as good, or with less effort, then I'd seriously consider adding this to my arsenal.  But if it's not any easier or better, then I'll probably just spend my money elsewhere. 

Thanks for any help you can give me. 

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Kamado vs. electric
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 04:28:04 PM »
Greenman, one of our members is a moderator of a Kamado website.  He also has a full arsenal of other grills/smokers.  Every cooker seems to have a time and place.  I came from a propane smoker background and found that this smoker can do some things that my propane unit can't and vice versa.  So, I actively use both.  I think that RG (other member's user name) would tell you the same thing.  I imagine that he wouldn't mind you PM'ing him if he doesn't see or respond to this thread in a timely enough manner for you.  BTW, welcome! 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

RG

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 06:09:13 PM »
WooHoo! We got another one ready to join the ranks!! YES!!

Seriously, here's my unbiased view on this. SuperDave hit the nail on the head. Every cooker made has it's pros and cons. I will state straight up, the Smokin-It smoker as well as any other electric smoker is purpose built. Unlike a Kamado, it doesn't wear many hats. It wears one and it wears it very well! The name says it all, Smokin! If you are a BBQ enthusiast which CLEARLY you are since you're here talking about buying a fine SI product, you'll love it. Period. No ifs ands or buts. I have 3 Kamados and wouldn't trade them for anything. They're excellent cookers. I also have a pellet grill and I love it too and I do indeed have a gasser and a SI#3. They all get along at the parties I have and they all earn their keep!

Now, the most important things you want to know about. Can you can use the SI in sub-freezing weather like your egg? Yep. It's insulated better than your egg, it has oven grade insulation in between the stainless steel so it holds heat very well. Is it easier to use than your egg with a BBQ guru. Indeed it is. You don't have to light lump, add wood chunks, put on your plate setter and drip pan, then the grate then the meat with your pit probe on the grate and one in the meat and then close the lid and watch to make sure you don't overshoot your temp or make sure you don't lose the fire. Nope, none of that. You put the appropriate amount of wood in the SI (a little goes a LONG way), throw the meat in there with a probe in it (through the top vent hole), close it up, select your temp and walk away. It's just that easy.

Is the food on par with Kamados? Yes indeed it is. As a matter of fact, why don't you read this Comparison

I like my cookers for different things, they all do something better than others but for a dedicated smoker, it really is hard to beat these SIs. I was skeptical at first but curiosity got the best of me and I couldn't be happier with the results. It's a great part of the lineup and pulls its weight each time I ask it to. I even got one of my fellow Keggers to order one! Now.....if I can just get some of these guys to buy a Keg! LOL.

One last note. Smoke Rings are overrated. You will not get one from an electric smoker unless you create a faux smoke ring, DivotMaker can fill you in on that ;) It doesn't make any difference on the taste of the food but people do like to see it.

Final word - Buy one! Welcome to the "other side" :P
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 07:10:46 PM by RG »
Jason from Conyers GA

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 10:12:29 PM »
It will be easier.

I won't speak to the 3 or "D" version, I have a set the dial and forget it version and have no complaints.

Snow, rain, super colder under cover works like a charm.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 10:26:50 PM »
I know that the Eggs have a PID but I don't know if it is as programmable as the Auber PID. Being able to program multiple cook phases including a holding or warming phase is pretty unique.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Glock_21

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 10:40:21 PM »

I don't own a Kamado so I can't speak to that.  I added the Model 3 after using a pellet grill for years.  I've been really happy with it.  It took several smokes to figure out some of the differences between the Model 3 and the pellet grill but now I always use the Model 3 for long smokes (pork shoulder/brisket).  The pellet grill still has its place but for long smokes the Model 3 is just too easy.  It truly is a "set and forget" method.  As mentioned already there is no smoke ring.  You won't get nice crispy skin on poultry either.  Neither of those is a concern for me.  The smoke ring doesn't add anything to the taste and I remove poultry skin anyway.  My Model 3 stays outside when not in use.  It is under a covered patio.  I also throw a cover over the Model 3 itself.  I have used the Model 3 in all types of weather.  The only thing that has ever created an issue was a power outage during an ice storm.  But that would have shut down the pellet grill too.
Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 11:06:44 PM »
Hi Greenman!

Glad you found us!  While I've never owned a BGE, I have friends that have them, so I know a little about what they go through.  Here's my 2ยข:

First, the BBQ Guru is a great system, BUT, you still have to do all the setup and maintenance to make it work.  Even with the temp control, you still have to build a fire (so to speak), do your normal "traditional" BBQ techniques (spritzing, foiling, mopping, etc.) to counter the drying effect of the heat source, and you have to clean it out after a cook.  None of that with the SI.

What you find, with this smoker, is you get to focus on the prep, not the process!  I spend much more time preparing my meat than I do monitoring it while it's smoking!  Also, I have found that I can get much more "true" smoke flavor than you can with any other heat source.  I consider wood smoke just like any other spice; it can vastly change the flavor profile of what you smoke.  I find this one of the greatest "side effects" of the electric element.

Can you "fake" a good smoke ring, to improve presentation and fool the BBQ snobs?  You bet!!  A little #1 curing salt in a brine, or even a light dusting of Tender Quick on the meat, for a few hours, can make a really pretty ring.  No difference in taste (like the "real" one), but it sure looks great!

Here's where being a member of Club Lazy Q comes in handy: 

When your meat is ready to go in the smoker, all you have to do is place a little foil on the floor and lid of the smoke box, then add your 3-6 oz of wood.  Grab your meat from the fridge, get it in the smoker, and set your temp.  If you use a water pan, you just keep the door closed until it hits the internal temp you want....can't get much easier than that! 

Cleanup?  Remove the foil, empty the water and drip pan, give the floor a little wipe and you're done!  The racks can go in the dishwasher.

What you will also find is that you will use it a lot more than any other smoker, simply due to the convenience factor!  Too easy not to!

Let us know if you have more questions - that's what we're here for! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 12:13:19 AM »
+1

Racks and side racks in dishwasher.   

World of difference.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 12:52:10 AM »
+2. One of the first things I noticed was the pure and clean taste of the smoke as Tony mentioned. On my Weber Smokey Mountain (charcoal water smoker), I tasted wood smoke... but on the SI, I tasted the nuances of the wood, cherry, hickory, apple, etc. I never used my WSM in the winter. I use my SI all winter long, without a thought. It really is so easy to make top-notch Q, that if you decide to buy one, I'd be surprised if you didn't use it for ALL of your smoking, and use your BGE for everything else that the SI doesn't do.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 01:56:42 AM »
The rest have covered the pros/cons pretty well already. So, I will just speak to using in cold weather. I have smoked in -20F weather and not had a bit of problem getting to and maintaining my set temp. In fact, to be honest, I think it pretty much heated up just as fast as in warmer weather or the difference was negligible at best.

My smoker sits outside on my uncovered deck with a cover year round. I sewed a Velcro strap on the cover to keep it from blowing off and the cover does take some wear from the sun. But other than that no problems with leaving it outside.

BTW, welcome from ND!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

RG

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 05:55:12 PM »
One thing I will add about kamado cooking,  you don't have to spritz or mop (forgive me Tony, lol), they cook through covection and the meat stays very moist. In my SI, if I smoke a butt for example and I want moisture to be on par with what I keg, I must brine it. You can use a water pan (loaf pan) as DM said as well. Great advice you have been given, now a choice you must make, hmmm? (I assume you just read that in Yoda's voice)  :P
Jason from Conyers GA

Hulk

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 09:31:45 PM »
Growing up in West Virginia I grew up around smokers and smoke houses. I can honestly say my #2 is the best way to go. Clean tasting smoke, versatile, and once you figure out its nuances nothing but consistent.  Having two young children I love the ability to set it up for a smoke and go about my life as well as the ease of keeping it fresh and clean. Tonight I have 12# pork shoulder going for an overnight smoke and have no worries about it being perfect tomorrow. No waking up in the middle of the night to check the wood box no worries about my temperature dropping out. Just amazing pulled pork for New Years Day.
Smokin-it #2
Weber Genesis Series Special Addition
Plenty of campfires
Northeast United States

SUMORAY

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 10:16:57 PM »
I have the exact grills you have. Which is funny !  I just purchased a 3D to add to my arsenal.  It is well worth the investment. Today I smoked ribs for my first time on an electric smoker, it was better than all the other ribs I have smoked on my egg.  It was also easier. Granted some of my prep was  different but in the end they were perfect. Coming from someone who was battling the exact thoughts you are.  I hope this helps you. Add it to your arsenal for sure. I wouldn't give up my komodo for anything. My rib eyes are perfect. Let us know which way you go.

Greenman72

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 09:41:01 AM »
Thanks for all the help guys.  I'm not going to buy one today (unless I want to have three grills and no wife), but I do plan to convince the wife that I need another BBQ pit/grill/refrigerator-looking-thing, which may be a tough sell.   

mizzoufan

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 02:01:09 PM »
Hmm, 3 grills and no wife sounds pretty tempting to me  :P
Steven from KCMO