Author Topic: Howdy howdy  (Read 9380 times)

TejasMike

Howdy howdy
« on: October 04, 2015, 06:33:43 PM »
Hello from north Texas.  Ordered my #2 yesterday and can't wait!   It'll be replacing am old side box smoker that never gets used due to time constraints.   Already have some ribs and brisket waiting for it to show up!

Have a question for you gurus.... Are wood chips ok to use?  Instead of chunks?   I chipped/shredded a couple pecans and oak trees a few weeks ago and basically have about 1500lbs of shredded wood sitting at the back of my property.   

Thanks and looking forward to getting started!
Mike from Ft Worth.    Smokinit 2!

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
Re: Howdy howdy
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 06:50:18 PM »
Hey Mike, welcome from Kansas City, I foresee a lot of good bbq coming your way. If you get time you might add your name and city on your signature line. We are a pretty friendly bunch around here and like to know who we are talking to. Don't forget to season your #2 upon arrival and good luck on your first smoke. I just started curing a pork bellie going to try my hand at home made bacon. Oh and if you are a pork rib fan you will love the ones you will produce in your smoker.  ;D  ;)
Sorry missed your question, yes you can use chips especially on a cold smoke. You might need to foil the bottom if you did not get the chip screen. Also was this green when you chipped it? As it might need to cure a little while but will let some of the others chime in on that part. As if too green will leave kind of a bitter taste.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 07:15:42 PM by elkins20 »
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Bebe

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 07:09:42 PM »
Hi Mike
Yes, you can use chips... if they are too small you can buy that fancy firebox screen (which, btw, you don't need) of use some aluminium foil to make a 'cup' (don't wrap it)... as a matter of fact, make a cup for any wood, easier to clean up
If they are just a couple of weeks old they might too green though....
Pete
Brooklyn, NY

smokeasaurus

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 07:57:50 PM »
Welcome Mike. I used chips last night in my Smokin-It for a chicken cook and I was pleasantly surprised how well they work. Of course the best way to go are the small chunks (smokinlicous)......let that 1500 lbs of pecan chips dry up and season and you will be set for smoke for a while..............
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

TexasSMK

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 08:06:51 PM »
Welcome Mike, this is a great forum to learn, and to share knowledge.  I had never smoked before, and already feel like a pro.  I attribute that to all the people on this site.  That is a lot of wood chips-your #2 will still be standing when all that wood is gone. 
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 08:43:50 AM »
Welcome from Delaware, Mike!   You will love your #2 ... I know I do!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 08:54:00 AM »
Welcome from Eastern MA....I too moved from an offset to the SI and couldn't be happier.
Great smoker, great company and a great forum!
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

drains

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 01:09:28 PM »
Welcome from East Texas! You have a lot of good food and fun ahead of you. I always recommend a big ol' pork butt as the first smoke. Its a long smoke and the results are very tasty. Also helps season the smoker really good. Good luck!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Hulk

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 02:46:02 PM »
Welcome Mike
Chips or chunks is a regular discussion around here.  Nobody is right and nobody is wrong it's all what works for you. I use chips and have had amazing results. I use about 1.5 ounces for ribs and around 3 ounces for brisket and shoulder.  I make a foil boat to put the wood in and in the smoker box it goes. Be sure to use high quality chips, the box store stuff will just ignite, and never soak the chips.
Have fun and stay on the forum. I got my #2 in May and all the advice I've gotten here has allowed me to turn out some amazing Q.  Hell, I have to buy extra because the neighbors expect samplers when I'm done. 
Smokin-it #2
Weber Genesis Series Special Addition
Plenty of campfires
Northeast United States

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 03:17:35 PM »
Welcome to the Lazy Q club and Saint Augustine Florida.

Also a happy #2 Owner!

Greg

TejasMike

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 05:35:23 PM »
Thanks guys.   We used to do a bunch of party's and I'd make 4 or 5 full size briskets on my offset but these days it's just family and a few friends.   Hoping a little "set it and forget it" bbq will do the trick.

Ordered a remote thermometer and got shipping notification in the 2!

Hopefully I'll be suffering from the meat sweats by Thursday dinner
Mike from Ft Worth.    Smokinit 2!

Grampy

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 07:29:04 PM »
Welcome from SW Arkansas!
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

elkins20

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 07:58:25 PM »
Thanks guys.   We used to do a bunch of party's and I'd make 4 or 5 full size briskets on my offset but these days it's just family and a few friends.   Hoping a little "set it and forget it" bbq will do the trick.

Ordered a remote thermometer and got shipping notification in the 2!

Also Mike get a scale to weigh your wood on.

Hopefully I'll be suffering from the meat sweats by Thursday dinner
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

elkins20

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 08:04:56 PM »
Interesting reading: http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=999.0
This was posted by Tony/DivotMaker...

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 09:42:58 PM »
Welcome, and a great big Texas "Congrats" Mike!  We're practically neighbors!  You can do a 12-14 lb packer brisket, without cutting it, in the #2.  Just watch the length when you buy (you know how they are...long and lean, or short and fat).  You'll love the Lazy Q lifestyle, and you'll find you use it a bunch more! 

Folks moving to the SI from traditional smokers have to let go a few old techniques, mainly watching temps the whole smoke, and all the tending (mopping, foiling, spritzing, etc...).  You'll also have to find a good hobby to have fun with while your SI is doing all the work! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!