Author Topic: Ribs  (Read 4247 times)

Bear

Ribs
« on: May 24, 2015, 02:33:13 PM »
Hello smokers,

It's been awhile since I've provided any input.   Finally back to smoking since things have slowed down.   Have some ribs on right now.  The number 2 has been going for 1 and 30 minutes set @ 250.  It's showing a temp of 171 and climbing very slow.......has me concerned....maybe the heating the element is going bad. :-[.  Any thoughts?   

Was planning on smoking them for 3-2-1 but will see since the heat is going up so slow...might hVe to change that up.  Covered in mustard with apple rub from Walmart.  Next step is remove, cover in butter, brown sugar and honey, then back to smoker for 2 hours.   Then remove, cover in BBQ sauce and back to smoker for 1 hour.   

Will post the final pics once complete.

Tony

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Ribs
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 02:38:15 PM »
Welcome back, Bear!  Hour and a half to hit 171?  Sounds like you may have an element going bad.  Call or text Steve for a replacement, if it still doesn't heat.  i wouldn't open the door - just go "no peeky" since they're cooking slow anyways.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Bear

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 02:41:35 PM »
Thanks buddy.   Glad to be back.  I agree with you....going call call Steve!   

Tony

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 02:43:28 PM »
You'll get the 800w element as a replacement, if yours is bad - pretty sure he's out of the 700s.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Bear

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 07:34:01 PM »
The results are in.... It was delicious!!!

The old smoker actually got up to 278......I have no idea what happenedwith the heating element.   It finally started working and producing a quality and consistent temp, will call Steve to discuss after I recheck this week with no meat. 

Here are the pics....
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 07:37:39 PM by Bear »

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 07:38:54 PM »
The results are in.... It was delicious!!!

The old smoker actually got up to 278......I have no idea what happenedwith the heating element.   It finally started working and producing a quality and consistent temp, will call Steve to discuss after I recheck this week with no meat. 

Here are the pics....

The ribs looked good, how did they taste?

Greg

Bear

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 07:56:36 PM »
Greg,

I must admit....they were the best I've made thus far and I'm learning something new with every smoke!   Wow is it fun.......only problem is I keep having to shop for bigger pants!    ;D

Tony

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 08:09:27 PM »
Greg,

I must admit....they were the best I've made thus far and I'm learning something new with every smoke!   Wow is it fun.......only problem is I keep having to shop for bigger pants!    ;D

Tony

Hey Tony,

I am really happy that the ribs turned out great and I am sorry about the pants :)

For me, of all the hobbies I have done in my life, I really like to create a super meal.

If I had to do this for a living... not so much. But I really enjoy creating meals that are something you can only experience on the small scale.

Enjoy.

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 10:21:51 AM »
Bear, were you on the #2 controller or the Auber?  Saying that you hit 278, I'm assuming that you might have been on the Auber.  See my post on the Auber Tips & Tricks board about inconsistency.  My last rib smoke was very much like yours.  Yesterday's pork butt locked in and performed perfectly.  Again, if you are running an Auber, try a different piece of meat before exploring a new element. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 01:41:13 PM »
Glad to see it worked out so well, Bear!  Nice-looking ribs!
Tony from NW Arkansas