Author Topic: Just finished break-in; some unburned wood remaining  (Read 1641 times)

bbqnewbie

• #2 purchased 1/15
Just finished break-in; some unburned wood remaining
« on: January 16, 2015, 06:03:01 PM »
Does this tell me anything about "hot or cold spots" in my unit?  Placed 3 pieces in burner: far front, middle, and rear.  The front piece was all ash, the center piece ( a smaller piece) rolled a little to rear and was almost all burned.  The rear piece was maybe 40% unburned - it was black but still a solid core is visible.  The front and rear dowel pieces were about the same size - similar to 90% of the typical pieces that were included with the smoker.  There were two incidences of combustion at about the 30-45 min. mark.  Not black smoke but heavy white smoke with the noise accompanying it.  Temp. was at 250 F and 3 hours for break-in.
- arline -
Smokin-It #2
Life-long gourmet cook, but never smoked before!  I'm now into my 2nd year of smoking - about 10X per year maximum.
San Diego

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Just finished break-in; some unburned wood remaining
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 06:16:06 PM »
Typically seasoning should be 4-5 hours at 250.

My smoker actually burns hot toward the rear.

I don't think it is anything to worry about.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Just finished break-in; some unburned wood remaining
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 08:23:09 PM »
Sounds like your element is a little hotter toward the middle and front - good to know, when you place your wood!  A little foil on the bottom of the wood chunks will eliminate the combustion - works great for me.  It will also get less with use, as the door seals tighter from the creosote buildup (less air).
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!