Author Topic: Where should you put the Maverick temp probe?  (Read 2077 times)

Barrel99

Where should you put the Maverick temp probe?
« on: November 23, 2014, 03:37:16 PM »
One thing I have noticed on my #3 is that wherever I put the temp probe from my Maverick, the temp will be different. Dífferences of 10-20 degrees are possible. So I thought I would ask you folks where you are placing the temp probe and what kind of success you have had.

I tested using a foiled wrapped brick on the top shelf in the middle. I calibrated the #3 by putting the probe on the top shelf on the left near the back above the SI probe. I set the knob accordingly to 225. The actual  average was 225 with normal swings. Then I put the probe under the top shell in the middle. It then showed about a 15 degree difference, thus being lower (210). At this position the swings were minor. I turned the knob to 240 and was then getting average 225 while probe was in the middle position. Very little swing.

While the probe was in the middle position I then turned the knob to max of 250. I get 238 maximum. While the probe is in the first position, top shelf back left, I can get 250.

I know if I lowered the probe to a bottom shelf it would be much higher.

So there are significant variations (not temp swings). I just wonder if 10-15 degree variations make much difference since in most cases we measure the internal temperature.

Where's your probe?

Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Where should you put the Maverick temp probe?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 06:01:18 PM »
My Maverick box temp probe is in the box in my kitchen, where it stays. ;)   We go off of internal meat temp, and trying to constantly monitor the box temps will just make you crazy.  I haven't monitored box temp since my first couple of smokes, when I saw my cooks came out great, regardless of the temp swings you'll see.  The swings will average-out over the length of the smoke, so they're nothing to stress about.  If you get good results, and the time is approximate to what it should be (say, 1.5-2 hours per pound for a pork butt), don't worry about box temp.  Just insert your meat probe, set the dial, and go find something fun to do until your meat is done! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Barrel99

Re: Where should you put the Maverick temp probe?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 11:46:38 PM »
I agree. That's exactly the reason why when my 8 lb butt took almost 21 hours and was still only at 200 IT, I realized that I might have a calibration problem...lol.  Sure enough, when I tested it, the temps were 10-15 degrees low. I expect my next butt to cook in less time. If not, then I have a new opportunity to analyze.

I could care less about the swing as long as the temp I set is somewhere in the swing, which mine wasn't until I corrected it. I set it at 225 and it never got over 208. My probe will be in the draw also once I have a little bit of comfort that the temperature is in a reasonable range and my cook times are what are to be expected.

So when analyzing the problem, probe placement becomes important. Only some new smokes will tell me what's good or not.

Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!