Author Topic: Brined Boston butt with Memphis Dust!  (Read 8555 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Brined Boston butt with Memphis Dust!
« on: October 18, 2014, 03:43:23 PM »
OK, gang, I'm finally trying Memphis dust!  I have a 9.6 lb Boston butt that will soon go into my butt brine (lol...sounds funny :D ).  I mixed up a batch of Meathead's Memphis Dust - the latest version, without salt.

I plan on putting this butt in the smoker around 4 am tomorrow, and smoking with cherry.  I used the salt-free version of the rub because I'm adding the salt with the brine.  After reading Meathead's notes about why he took the salt out, it makes perfect sense.  He recommends adding the salt first, directly to the meat, with a dry or wet brine.  So, if the salt is already infused in the meat, no need to have it in the rub!

I'll post pics and my review of the Dust tomorrow! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

PhatterMike

Re: Brined Boston butt with Memphis Dust!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 06:56:24 PM »
Tony,
I put 2 bone in butts in last night at 10:00. Dry salted them 1st, let em sit for an hour then added the Memphis dust (no salt) to them and put in fridge for 4 hours.... Cooked at 225 in the #4 until about 4:00 today, then bumped them to 250, just shut her down at 6:30, meat is at 203, I like 205.... I'll take picts in about an hour when I open the door. They smell great, can't wait to see them.
Mike
Mike from Palm Beach Gardens, FL

2-Large BGE's, 1- XL BGE, 1-Mini BGE, Weber Genesis 1100 & Now (as of 10-8-2014), I am proud to say.... 1 Smokin~It Model #4

es1025

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 08:33:28 PM »
tony

It's about time.  this will be your go to rub.  The ginger and rosemary really elevate the rub.  I made a batch with "sugar in the raw" instead of brown sugar.  No difference in my opinion.

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

PhatterMike

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 08:47:40 PM »
Tony, I'll post picts tomorrow on a separate thread under the "pork" heading, good luck with the dust, I think its great, been using another popular rub for sometime and I never really like the bitter taste from the chili powder... Tomorrow I plan to tackle a 6 lb roaster brined it for 24 hours and will rub prior to putting it in.... I think I'm starting to trust this thing, old habits are hard to let go of.

Mike

2-Large BGE's, 1- XL BGE, 1-Mini BGE, Weber Genesis 1100 & Now (as of 10-8-2014), I am proud to say.... 1 Smokin~It Model #4

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 10:12:21 PM »
Sounds good, Mike and Ed!  I'll definitely post my results!  The dust has gotten such good reviews, I just had to try it!  Early wake up call tomorrow! :)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 09:33:54 AM »
Can't wait to see it Tony!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 02:14:15 PM »
After 12 hours in the pool, the butt was rubbed with mustard and M Dust this morning, and in the smoker with 5.5 oz of cherry and a cider pan.  Sitting deep in the stall at 158, 8 1/2 hours in.

My local Harp's grocery store is now carrying an all-natural, minimally-processed pork line now, so I thought I'd try it!  It's not injected with solution, and was $.49 a pound cheaper than Sam's!  ($1.99 vs. $2.48).  Nice looking butt - good color and marble. 
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 06:18:02 PM »
Arghh!  Butt is sitting at 181, and the family is starving!  I've even bumped the temp to 240, since it's through the stall.  Going for Zaxby's chicken while the butt finishes!  I should have put it on earlier, as I see this butt is not going to hold to my 1 - 1:15 per pound rule! >:(   Note to self:  Allow more time when using meat from a different supplier!

I'll let it finish (at least another hour or two), then wrap/rest/pull and vacuum pack for another day!  First time I've come up short at dinner time!  >:( >:(   Smells so good, too!
Tony from NW Arkansas

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 06:54:12 PM »
Bummer!!! I am still working through the times but I have a LOT less experience with my SI2. Be sure to show pics when you get them.  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 07:28:16 PM »
No prob, Bob!  Pics are my thing! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

es1025

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 07:42:53 PM »
DM
I found 240 a better temp for the butts. Takes a bit less than and powers thru the stall.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 09:25:13 PM »
14 hours for 9.67 lbs.  Vacuum sealed and in the freezer... the review will have to wait for another day! :(
Tony from NW Arkansas

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 09:10:14 AM »
Wow Tony! You are the height of self control!!  8)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 06:55:53 PM »
Not really, Bob!  Fortunately, I was full and kind of pressed for time, so letting it rest a bit, foil wrapped, and straight into the vacuum bag whole was the best choice.  I sometimes do this with whole butts that I don't intend to pull right away.  To reheat, I thaw it in the fridge for 2-3 days, then put in the crock pot, on low, still wrapped in the foil.  That way, all the juice stays with the butt.  They're the next best thing to fresh from the smoker!
Tony from NW Arkansas

PhatterMike

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 09:24:45 PM »
Tony,
I agree, I often will cook 2 or 4 at a time and freeze (whole) what I don't use, I usually wrap them in foil & freeze, then in the next day or 2 I pull them out & vacuum pack & put back in the freezer, I think the trick is taking 2 days to thaw, then I crock or even bake in oven or on the grill to get them hot all the way through.... I never pulled one prior to freezing, please tell me how that works out... Also, how about posting a picture or 2 of the one you cooked Sunday, can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Memphis Dust.

Nike