Author Topic: Front door drip tray leaking  (Read 5952 times)

Whidbey Rick

Front door drip tray leaking
« on: September 28, 2014, 12:45:10 PM »
Good afternoon!

This is not a huge deal but I wonder if anyone else has seen this and if so what might be done to fix it. It looks like the drip tray under the door that runs the width of the smoker is leaking. Maybe at the welds.

Thanks
Rick

Semper Fi!

Whidbey Island WA

SI #3
Big Chief top loader
Weber Kettle Grill

Whidbey Rick

Re: Front door drip tray leaking
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 12:58:50 PM »
I'll send a note to Steve. I'v had the smoker for a couple of weeks now.

Thanks
Rick
Semper Fi!

Whidbey Island WA

SI #3
Big Chief top loader
Weber Kettle Grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 01:57:37 PM »
I haven't seen that before, Rick - guess there's a first for everything!  Yep, note to Steve.  Bet you could clean it with a degreaser and silicone the seams, but Steve may advise otherwise.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 11:02:01 PM »
Rick,

Getting with Steve is sage advice.  He needs feedback for quality control.  Besides calling/emailing Steve, there are a couple of things you can do. If you have a gap in the weld, you should be able to spot it at night with a narrow beam flashlight (penlight)held close to and run the length of the weld. Any light leaks can be fixed with JB Weld (an epoxy with metal components). You might also want to try the flashlight along the floor of the smoker. If you should spot a weld issue, degrease well and follow JB Weld instructions.  Also, when you foil the bottom, ensure that the hole through the foil is clean and the foil pressed flat to follow the contour of the floor and the excess is pressed up the walls.

Dave
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Whidbey Rick

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 12:27:16 AM »
Thanks Dave,

I just checked the front welds of the trough with a small pen light. I did not see any light leaks along the weld but I think they are leaking. I can see a couple of spots that look suspect. I think that the JB Weld is easy enough to try. I'll report out on what I find afterward.

Thanks everyone!

Rick
Semper Fi!

Whidbey Island WA

SI #3
Big Chief top loader
Weber Kettle Grill

Whidbey Rick

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 09:42:15 PM »
Hi Fast-Eddie!

I think the tray is leaking at the welds in front of both legs. The liquids flowing towards the back are likely caused by the lean of my deck  :).  I've seen some evidence of fluid runs on the front of both legs. Looking at the welds closely I can see some pits or gaps that may be the culprits. I'll try and take some pics that show it.

I need to get some JB Weld and try to fill the pits and see if that fixes things.

Thanks
Rick
Semper Fi!

Whidbey Island WA

SI #3
Big Chief top loader
Weber Kettle Grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 09:55:51 PM »
Hi Fast-Eddie!

I think the tray is leaking at the welds in front of both legs. The liquids flowing towards the back are likely caused by the lean of my deck  :) .  I've seen some evidence of fluid runs on the front of both legs. Looking at the welds closely I can see some pits or gaps that may be the culprits. I'll try and take some pics that show it.

I need to get some JB Weld and try to fill the pits and see if that fixes things.

Thanks
Rick

I'm in the trucking business...if you can't fix it with JB Weld and duct tape, it probably can't be fixed! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Whidbey Rick

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 09:03:15 AM »
Update:

Cleaned the area of the leaks last night. The front tray is no longer suspect as the leak. I tested the tray with water and there were no leaks on the right or left.

However, I also tested the front corner of the box by using aluminum tape to block off water from the tray. I applied water to the inside of the corner and immediately noted a small stream of water running down the leg of the smoker. This was on the right side only as I did not try the test on the left side.

I'm sending this note with pics to Steve too as I'm not sure as to the best method to seal this area yet. I'm also concerned about any areas that may be affected by moisture and grease accumulating in places I can't get to.....

Thanks
Rick

Semper Fi!

Whidbey Island WA

SI #3
Big Chief top loader
Weber Kettle Grill

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 01:22:58 PM »
The construction of yours looks different than my #3. On mine the small section of front panel above the front drip tray is extended above the interior base of the smoker making a well to contain drippings.

The pictures taken from the inside of the smoke show how this lip extends completely to the corners. It may be that your unit is too clean or the angle of your picture, but I do not see that extended lip that my smoker has.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 01:36:01 PM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 07:34:22 PM »
Rick, I looked at your pictures close, and it looks like you do have the extended lip on the front (the angle of your pics just doesn't show it well).  One question that hasn't been answered:  Do you foil the bottom of the smoker?  The side edges are higher than the center, so I'm not seeing how you could get enough liquid at the upper edges to leak, if you cover the bottom in foil.  I use foil a little wider than the bottom, so it extends at least 1/2" above the bottom.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Whidbey Rick

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 08:02:02 PM »
Hi Tony,

Yes I foil the bottom on every smoke. I think the fluids are from moisture running down the walls and  from the door too. I agree that since the floor is pitched towards the center any fluid running down the walls should flow towards the middle. And since my leaks are only showing as running down the front of the two front legs, I'd guess the leaks are where the floor butts up against the front tray.

I'll try and do some more investigating tonight when I get home. I'm also waiting to hear from Steve too.

Thanks
Rick
Semper Fi!

Whidbey Island WA

SI #3
Big Chief top loader
Weber Kettle Grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 08:06:02 PM »
Ah, that makes sense, Rick.  Guess I wasn't really thinking about the moisture running down the sides - I was focused on the drippings!  JB Weld... ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

Whidbey Rick

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 10:25:43 PM »
Another update!

I did some more cleaning this evening and I also believe I've isolated the leak on the right side. I used a turkey baster with water and was able to reproduce the leak (only on the right side tonight).

Pic #1 I believe the leak is at the corner where the wall and front meet. I think the leak is actually on the wall side and not on the drip tray side. I used the turkey baster with water on the wall which immediately leaked down the front leg.

Pics #2 & 3 show plumbers putty on the affected area. The putty effectively stopped the leak.

The putty looks a bit tacky and I'm worried about what the fix will look like. Any thoughts from the group would be appreciated. I'm still thinking that JB Weld would be the most durable (as opposed to high temp silicon).

I also want to get some feedback from Steve about the JB Weld and anything else I might need to think about (insulation?)...

Thanks to you all for your ongoing support  :)

Rick
Semper Fi!

Whidbey Island WA

SI #3
Big Chief top loader
Weber Kettle Grill

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 12:00:01 AM »
Only the walls and top are insulated. If the moisture ran out fast you are likely ok. You could run it empty for a couple of hours to dry things out if you think it necessary. JB is pretty tough stuff. Can be drilled, filed, etc. and relatively heat resistant. A lite touch with a Dremel should feather it in nicely. Waiting for Steve'input/advice is smart.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 09:09:44 PM »
Rick,

I saw that Steve emailed you.  I know he recommended the silicone, as he is unfamiliar with JB.  I, personally, would look to JB as a permanent solution.  Good stuff, strong and forever.  Just make sure you degrease the surface really well before applying.  Once you do a soap and water scrub, I'd recommend brake cleaner as a good degreaser.  Won't leave any residue, and will definitely get the grease off.
Tony from NW Arkansas