Author Topic: Big Brother or Big Daddy!  (Read 18872 times)

gathumper

Big Brother or Big Daddy!
« on: December 20, 2014, 09:02:53 PM »
Title sums it up well, but for a little more info, I've been smoking with charcoal on a 22" Weber Smokey Mountian for about 5 years now and have turned out some really good ribs, butts, brisket, turkey, etc. No complaints at all with the Weber and I'll likely continue to use it for these products.

Now I'm thinking about geting into some different things where I'm thinking an electric smoker would be a nice addition to my outdoor cooking arsenal. Right now I'm interested in traditional jerky and "sausage" type meats (with or without casings), but would almost certainly try some other smoked/cured meats. My thinking are lower temps and longer, controlled curing/smoking would lead me to an electric smoker.

Started out looking at a Masterbuilt 40" on sale this season for $299, but my research led me to consider spending a little more for the Smokin-It Model 3. Now I'm about 90% sure I'll get an SI smoker, but I want to be sure I shouldn't go ahead and get the Model 4.

Pretty sure I'll get the Auber, so that makes the price $851.09 for the Model 3 with an Auber vs $1550.43 for the Model 4 which comes with the Auber including shipping to me here in Georgia. So that's about a $700 difference. Given I'm going to add the Auber to the Model 3, is there any reason other than capacity to get the Model 4?

Here are my thoughts.

Rack Size -  Model 3 15"x20" vs Model 4 18"x18" - I like the slightly longer racks, comparable to my 22" WSM
(Question, will 18x18 hold a typical brisket packer? Racks of ribs without cutting in half?)

correction: looks like the Model 4 racks are actually about 18"x21.5"!

Height - Model 3 has 8" less "headroom" (22" vs 30") - more shelf capacity and more height for hanging
(question, How long are typical sausage and stick casings?)

Number of racks -  5 racks in the Model 3 vs 11 in the Model 4 - A lot more capacity for jerky or sticks
(questions, Is this correct? Racks closer together in the Model 4? Can you add more than 5 to the Model 3?)

Heating elements should be comparable, although the elements are different they should be sized for the unit. I notice the element/chip enclosure is a lot larger in the Model 4. (corrected) Any advantage?

Right now I am leaning toward the Model 3. I think the capacity of the Model 3 would be fine for my needs and I like the slightly longer racks. 45 pound capacity should be enough and 75 pounds is more than I can imagine needing! I DO like the idea of having twice the rack capacity. That could come in handy for jerky or sticks. I also like the LOOK of the larger element/wood enclosure, but that's not a good reason to spend $700 extra! AND for $700 I could ALMOST buy a second Model 3 later. Hmmmm, if I need more capacity later, 2 Model 3s might be a better plan.

I would appreciate any advice you have to share. I'm reading through old threads and trying to decide.

Thank You!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 10:31:03 AM by gathumper »
James from Georgia
22" Weber Smokey Mountain
Smokin-It #3 or #4 once I decide!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Big Brother or Big Daddy!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 10:29:58 PM »
Hi James!  I think the model 3 will meet your needs easily.  You mentioned that you still will use the WSM for ribs, butts, briskets, etc...  While the WSM is a fine charcoal unit, I bet you soon convert to the SI for those needs also - not just jerky and sausage.  We have many, many former charcoal or stick burners here, and their old smokers are now lonely!

I say that because right now, you are intimately familiar with your WSM, and it's "what you know."  When you get a taste of what you can produce in an SI, and the ease of operation (from prep, to cook and cleanup), you'll find you use it more, and will realize we focus on the food prep and wood selection, not the "method!"

The #4 is a fine unit, but is really big and heavy.  Unless you're smoking for a small army, or doing several hundred pounds of jerky and snack sticks, the #3 will be a more cost-effective choice, more manageable, and hold a heck of a lot of meat!

I'm sure the #3 and 4 owners will chime in, so this is just my 2ยข!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 10:30:59 PM »
You have certainly done your research James.  As far as I know, casings are bulk and you stuff ,twist and cut to the length you desire. The larger shelves of the 3 is a plus but only in one dimension; 3 inches less in the other. So it is a trade off.  A sharp knife can handle anything that doesn't quite fit either size shelf. I like the heating element design of the 4.  But you are correct: their wattage/output is sized for the unit. On the size of the smoker box on the 3 being longer than that on the 4 is because the 3 is a deeper smoker.

Surely someone with knowledge and experience with both the 3 and the 4 will chime in. You have made good deciding points for both smokers. And I see you are already tilting toward the 3. Time to sleep on it and go with your gut feeling.

David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

gathumper

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 01:39:00 AM »
You have certainly done your research James.  As far as I know, casings are bulk and you stuff ,twist and cut to the length you desire. The larger shelves of the 3 is a plus but only in one dimension; 3 inches less in the other. So it is a trade off.  A sharp knife can handle anything that doesn't quite fit either size shelf. I like the heating element design of the 4.  But you are correct: their wattage/output is sized for the unit. On the size of the smoker box on the 3 being longer than that on the 4 is because the 3 is a deeper smoker.

Surely someone with knowledge and experience with both the 3 and the 4 will chime in. You have made good deciding points for both smokers. And I see you are already tilting toward the 3. Time to sleep on it and go with your gut feeling.

The smokebox/heating element enclosure isn't just longer, it looks like it's much wider, maybe due to the M shaped larger heating element? Drip pan is larger, too. Not sure either of these matters, certainly not enough to make a purchase decision, I'm just OCD! Just wondering about the pros and cons of having the bottom of the smoker 80% covered by the enclosure as opposed to hacing 50% of the floor exposed. Advantage/Disadvantage?

« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 09:05:17 AM by gathumper »
James from Georgia

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 02:36:35 AM »
You can upgrade the #3's sidewalls to fit 9 racks. With the new side rails, I found them too close together for snack stix, but jerky fits just fine.

If you're going to be doing large batches of sausage, 25+pounds at a time, the height of the #4 would be really nice. To hang sausage or snack stix in the #3 for large batches of sausage would be hard in my opinion. The heat is too uneven. The bottom of your sausages would get done before the tops. Instead, we smoke our sausages with them laying horizontally on the racks.

I am able to fit 25lbs. Of Snack Stix in my #3, but that is the max with 5-6 trays, and I have to rotate my trays front to back and top to bottom during the smoke as the lower stix get more heat than the top ones.

The #3 is acceptable for sausage and jerky in moderately sized batches, but I think if that is your main use, I would go with the #4.

Where the #3 really shines is with ribs, butts, briskets, and poultry. With the longer #3 you can fit an entire packer brisket and full large tacks of ribs no problem.  And the results in the #3 are phenomenal! Like Tony said, once you get used to the ease of using the Smokin-It smoker #3 or #4, your WSM will start to get lonely.

What other smoker can you put a butt in the smoker, set the dial, and then go to sleep knowing that your meat will be smoking at the chosen temperature all night long?

I have had and still own several types of smokers and grills and I will stack my results from my Smokin-It up against any of them.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 05:47:23 AM »
Being that you have a WSM 22, I think the #3 will seem very small to you.

If you're really serious about smoking jerky, sausage and the like I think you should seriously consider the #4.
The extra room is definitely a big plus...I'm not fond of cramped smokers when it comes to smoking sausages and the like.

The advantage of the larger element and enclosure is that heat is distributed more evenly than it is with a smaller deal.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 06:17:41 AM by DiggingDogFarm »
~Martin

gathumper

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 08:29:00 AM »
Thanks for all the great replies! I am a huge fan of good forums & community and this is proving to be both. Look forward to joining the family (officially) soon!

You mentioned that you still will use the WSM for ribs, butts, briskets, etc...  While the WSM is a fine charcoal unit, I bet you soon convert to the SI for those needs also - not just jerky and sausage.  We have many, many former charcoal or stick burners here, and their old smokers are now lonely!
Where the #3 really shines is with ribs, butts, briskets, and poultry. With the longer #3 you can fit an entire packer brisket and full large tacks of ribs no problem.  And the results in the #3 are phenomenal! Like Tony said, once you get used to the ease of using the Smokin-It smoker #3 or #4, your WSM will start to get lonely.

I just realized I may have accidently crossed over to the dark side! Next you'll be telling me I'll be cooking my steaks and burgers in the SI, or on the gasser!  :o

Maybe I'll just boil my ribs and stick them in the crock pot, too.  :'(

OR... I could sit beside the firepit all night holding a boston butt over the fire on a stick!  ::)

All kidding aside, I'm sure I'll try traditional bbq dishes in the SI and I'm just as sure they will be good! There's room for both smokers, AND my Weber Genesis here, with space left over for a BGE (or clone). I'm a bit of a traditionalist, but I DO cook on the gasser every week, too. It's just too easy to walk out on the porch after a long day at the office, hit the igniter, and 10 minutes later, plate a steak.

Now, when the SHTF, or the power goes out, or the element fails, or the controller goes haywire, the WSM will still be making TBS! (wait a minute! will that attract zombies... NO, they prefer it raw!)

Bottom line is I'm a little bit country AND a little bit rock and roll, and a high tech redneck. I'll always build fire, but I'll take advantage of technology, too. You can have a stick burner AND a BBQ Guru where I come from. That's just how I roll! And I guess, as long as I'm making smoke, that's all that matters!

(Pay no attention to the pile of old bricks in my back yard and the plans for a wood fired pizza oven on my computer! Those are NOT the droids you're looking for.)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 09:06:47 AM by gathumper »
James from Georgia

gathumper

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 09:13:29 AM »
You can upgrade the #3's sidewalls to fit 9 racks. With the new side rails, I found them too close together for snack stix, but jerky fits just fine.

I thought I had seen an upgrade, but couldn't find it. 9 racks seems like too much for the #3. Seems like 7 would be a good number just based on the math.

Can anyone provide the rack spacing for the #3, #4, and the upgraded #3?

James from Georgia

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 09:18:58 AM »
#4 rack positions are 2.5 inches apart.
~Martin

gathumper

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 09:25:35 AM »
#4 rack positions are 2.5 inches apart.

Thanks! That seems like a good spacing. Not sure if I really NEED 11 racks worth though. 5 racks is probably enough for my needs, 7 would be more than adequate!
James from Georgia

PhatterMike

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 09:52:06 AM »

Rack Size -  Model 3 15"x20" vs Model 4 18"x18" - I like the slightly longer racks, comparable to my 22" WSM
(Question, will 18x18 hold a typical brisket packer? Racks of ribs without cutting in half?)

James... Rack size in a #4 is 18 x 21... Not 18 x 18... Go for the #4... it's a beast & it will definitely keep the ZOMBIES away...
Mike from Palm Beach Gardens, FL

2-Large BGE's, 1- XL BGE, 1-Mini BGE, Weber Genesis 1100 & Now (as of 10-8-2014), I am proud to say.... 1 Smokin~It Model #4

gathumper

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 10:08:54 AM »

James... Rack size in a #4 is 18 x 21... Not 18 x 18... Go for the #4... it's a beast & it will definitely keep the ZOMBIES away...

Now that's very interesting! If that's true, I'll give the #4 more consideration.

From the SI website description of the #4 - "Inside dimensions are 18-5/8" wide x 18-3/4" deep x 30-5/8" tall"

James from Georgia

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 10:14:29 AM »
My #4 racks are ~21.5" x 18.1875"
~Martin

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 10:16:27 AM »
I notice the element/chip enclosure is a lot larger in the Model 3.

The chip enclosure is probably longer on the 3 because of the depth of the smoker.  The 4 has a larger/wider enclosure because of the size of the of the element.  Whether it is as long/deep as that on the 3 I cannot say.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

gathumper

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 10:22:32 AM »
I notice the element/chip enclosure is a lot larger in the Model 3.

The chip enclosure is probably longer on the 3 because of the depth of the smoker.  The 4 has a larger/wider enclosure because of the size of the of the element.  Whether it is as long/deep as that on the 3 I cannot say.

Well now I see! I meant to say it was larger on the #4... DUH!

A lot to process, but I enjoy the process!

I'm way to analytical for my own good. I say I'm OCD, but the ADD balances it out!

James from Georgia