Author Topic: Big Brother or Big Daddy!  (Read 18990 times)

gathumper

Re: Big Brother or Big Daddy!
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2014, 10:18:04 PM »
OK, James.  But, when using either, you won't know, or care, what kind of stainless it is - trust me!  Getting a little too detailed on this one, I'm afraid.  I've never heard anyone say "I really like the #3, but I sure wish it was made out of 304 stainless!"  Not to make light of your concern/opinion, but I think you're splitting hairs.  You won't see, or tell the difference.

Agreed! That's why I said "Not a show stopper for the SI3" and "I wouldn't let the type of stainless sway my decision"!

What could probably move me from the SI3 to the SI4 is the extra height, extra shelves, and maybe the heating element and smoke box.

I'm pretty well sold on the SI smoker, and would probably be happy with either SI3 or SI4.
James from Georgia
22" Weber Smokey Mountain
Smokin-It #3 or #4 once I decide!

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2014, 10:26:17 PM »
The extra height is the main reason I bought the #4.
~Martin

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2014, 11:39:22 PM »
OK, James.  But, when using either, you won't know, or care, what kind of stainless it is - trust me!  Getting a little too detailed on this one, I'm afraid.  I've never heard anyone say "I really like the #3, but I sure wish it was made out of 304 stainless!"  Not to make light of your concern/opinion, but I think you're splitting hairs.  You won't see, or tell the difference.

Agreed! That's why I said "Not a show stopper for the SI3" and "I wouldn't let the type of stainless sway my decision"!

What could probably move me from the SI3 to the SI4 is the extra height, extra shelves, and maybe the heating element and smoke box.

I'm pretty well sold on the SI smoker, and would probably be happy with either SI3 or SI4.

It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things and just need to figure out which one is right for you.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2014, 05:09:38 PM »
It is a compelling story. Let's see how this story ends. 
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

PhatterMike

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2014, 06:55:09 PM »
James,
Here's my pitch for the #4, you can put a ton of meat on and have good spacing from the heat source, I cooked 9 racks of pork today almost 70 lbs and still had 15 inches or so from the bottom rack to the heat.... I love this thing. Had room for another 50 lbs if I needed it, didn't have to move or turn racks.... Cooked it perfect. Good luck.
Merry Christmas to all! 🌴🌲
Mike from Palm Beach Gardens, FL

2-Large BGE's, 1- XL BGE, 1-Mini BGE, Weber Genesis 1100 & Now (as of 10-8-2014), I am proud to say.... 1 Smokin~It Model #4

PhatterMike

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2014, 07:03:25 PM »
Finished
Mike from Palm Beach Gardens, FL

2-Large BGE's, 1- XL BGE, 1-Mini BGE, Weber Genesis 1100 & Now (as of 10-8-2014), I am proud to say.... 1 Smokin~It Model #4

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2014, 08:39:55 PM »
Wow!!! Nice job Mike. That is a spec of money sitting on the table there isn't it?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2014, 12:06:05 PM »
Wow!  That's a whole lota ribs there, Mike!  Looking good!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gathumper

« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2014, 12:39:55 PM »
Just wanted to take moment to check in and say "THANK YOU" to all who have shared their wisdom on this subject. It has ALL been truly appreciated.

My mind is pretty well made up, I really WANT the SI4. But I still might end up with the SI3 and I believe I would be happy with it.

I'm still looking for the weight on SI3 and SI4 if anyone could help out.

I'll check back in with any developments, I'll be talking to Steve again next week and planning to meet him and pick it up when he comes to Nashville in February. I may not make my final decision until I see both units.

Merry Christmas!
James from Georgia

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2014, 05:51:09 PM »
Jim,  Just go with they weights shown. They are either actual weights or shipping weights.  Either way, can't be more than 5 or 10 lbs = or - depending upon model.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

gathumper

« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2014, 07:13:32 PM »
Jim,  Just go with they weights shown. They are either actual weights or shipping weights.  Either way, can't be more than 5 or 10 lbs = or - depending upon model.

I haven't seen any weights listed, let me look a little closer...

Edit: I found the SI3 listed at 135 pounds on Amazon. That's a beast!  Still looking for SI4 weight.

Found this in another thread, I still haven't found it on the site yet, but this is what I needed.

I was wondering if the 4 was a lot heavier than the 3. Not a lot at 15 pounds, but they are both too heavy for me to lift by myself.

Its on their sight if you dig deep enough.  Located under the FAQ section.
1- 62
2- 86
3- 135
4- 150

« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 07:30:31 PM by gathumper »
James from Georgia

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2014, 07:39:37 PM »
The 150 lb. weight on the #4 is the shipping weight...not the net weight of the smoker.

The #4 has definitely got to weigh more than 15 lbs. more than the #3.

=Martin=
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 07:47:04 PM by DiggingDogFarm »
~Martin

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2014, 07:51:48 PM »
Yeah...those weights are off...the shipping weight of my #1 was 57 lbs.
~Martin

gathumper

« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2014, 08:31:20 PM »
Amazon has shipping weight for the #1 at 62 pounds, #2 at 96 pounds, and #3 at 135.

(not that that's the final word)  8)

I'll confirm the dimensions when I talk to Steve next week. Just watching the video on the #4 and it says 18x18 inside, so I guess at some point it changed?  (It also has only two latches in the video)
James from Georgia

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2014, 08:38:08 PM »
The weights I posted are from the Fedex tracking information and I think that they should be accurate because Fedex keeps a close eye on weights and measures. In fact...my #4 was sent back to Steve back in February and then resent because there was a discrepancy...I posted about it back then.
~Martin