Author Topic: First smoker thought  (Read 405 times)

Newsmoke

• View Profile
First smoker thought
« on: May 09, 2020, 03:01:31 PM »
Considering my first smoker. Silly question, but I donít necessarily want the heavy smoke flavor. Would rather my seasoning do the flavoring. I have a friend who uses a little charcoal in his Smokin It. Probably go with the Model 1 if I buy.. mostly  used for ribs, brisket, wings, sausage, Mac and cheese etc.

Lonzinomaker

• View Profile
Re: First smoker thought
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 03:23:18 PM »
You don't have to use wood in the smoker.  But I think a little smoke flavor adds a lot to the food. Just 2 oz of apple wood will give a hint of smoke.
Not having smoke flavor is like hamburgers cooked in a skillet instead of a BBQ grill.  I would rather have BBQ grilled burgers.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
MES 30 w/mailbox mod is backup and for cheese smoking.
Green Mountain Davy Crockett Pellet Grill/Smoker
Spokane, WA

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 05:11:55 PM »
I agree with Dave, a small amount of wood will not be overly smoky.    I typically use 4 to 6oz of wood depending on the length of the smoke, so a 2oz test would provide a little smoke for you to determine if it meets your desired smokiness.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Newsmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 05:51:37 PM »
Thanks for advice. Wonder if I could use a little of my Cowboy hardwood briquettes. Hickory and oak I believe
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 06:05:17 PM by Newsmoke »

old sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 06:37:37 PM »
Based upon an old rumor, I tried the briquette method for getting the much coveted yet flavorless smoke ring.  No go. I don't know if it added any flavor to the meat as I always use wood chunks but give it a try. The model 1 is good little smoker for a lot of folks.  If you are thinking of smoking a whole packer brisket, you will need to cut it down considerable to get it to fit.  Lots of folks do just that, or they buy just the flat or the point. My personal recommendation is to anticipate the time you will need a larger unit and save up for it. You can smoke less in a large unit but cannot smoke more in a smaller unit. No matter what you get, you are buying the best.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066 (retired to my son's home)
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Newsmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 08:38:05 PM »
Ordered the Model 2. Analog. Free shipping with rib racks and savor box ,included.  Do I need dual temp probes or just the meat probe?

barelfly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 10:01:23 PM »
Congrats on the #2! You are going to love it!

As for probes, I have a Thermoworks Chef Alarm that I also use with my one probe that comes with my #3D. Depending on what Iím smoking, I have used up 4 at the max. Just depends on what your plans are when cooking. Itís nice to have multiple probes for a brisket packer, one for the point and one for the flat.

Hope that helps. And enjoy your first cook!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

old sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 12:08:00 AM »
1 Meat probe for sure, 2 if doing multiple large pieces like butts or briskets or whole chicken/turkey.  Monitoring the box temp can be a pleasure or nerve wracking but you will at least know the range of the swings.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066 (retired to my son's home)
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Lonzinomaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 10:20:43 PM »
i use dual probes- one for meat and one for box. The box temp is informational but I like knowing the smoker is working and hasn't tripped the circuit breaker.
I did have a smoker with a bad thermostat that kept the heating coil on, seeing the temp go above 350 told me there was something wrong.  Much easier diagnosis with the box probe.
Dave
Spokane, WA

Newsmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 03:59:48 PM »
My model 2 just arrived. After my break in with the hickory it came with, what wood do you like for pork and also salmon. Apple sounds nice. Where do you all buy your wood chunks. Are the big box wood chunks a no go?

Norwester

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 04:57:02 PM »
I like pecan for pork and alder for salmon/fish in general. Actually I use pecan on just about everything else including cold smoking cheese.
The local Walmart had a close out sale on bags of "Western" wood chunks a couple years ago and I bought all the pecan they had plus some
apple and hickory. Its not the best quality, some has punky spots in it but for the price I don't mind tossing the bad stuff.
Jeff from central Oregon

Lonzinomaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 05:50:45 PM »
Alder for salmon, tried apple and cherry but Alder tastes best (or maybe most authentic to west coast smoked salmon flavor that I grew up with on the WA and OR coast).
I like 50/50 or 60/40 Apple/Cherry mix for pork, chicken and cheese.  Cherry helps give an nice dark color.  Apple/hickory for beef. I use big box store wood.
Dave
Spokane, WA

barelfly

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2020, 05:58:21 PM »
for salmon, I use a sweet mix blend of chips that includes, apple, peach and grape I think. Itís not sweet though. Provides a nice flavor.

For pork, I do alternate on wood for this. I have sugar maple (which I was told was in the same family as pecan when I asked for pecan). It works nicely for pork. I also do some cherry and oak mix. Or plain oak. Do these necessarily go together, I donít know but I havenít noticed anything I havenít liked yet.

When I got my 3D, I ordered a larger box of wood from Smokinlicious and then ordered another smaller box of a two more types (red oak, hickory, sugar maple, white oak, Cherry) so I have 5 plus varieties as well some chunks from a BBQ shop in Denver I visit when I travel (peach, apple and the sweet mix blend). I have yet to buy from the big bod but given the number of people on here that use it and say it works fine, that may be my next source when I need to purchase.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Newsmoke

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 04:48:03 PM »
Model 2 arrived. Did my break in smoke. What is a decent entry level meat probe? Thermoworks has one called dot for 40 bucks?

Lonzinomaker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2020, 06:39:04 PM »
Thermopro TP15  (Amazon) for about $15 works well for me. Almost instant read, magnet on back, sharp point.
My favorite is the Thermopen by Thermoworks (direct from website) $75.  Almost instant read, easily read screen, accurate, sharp point, folding. They do have openbox and sales frequently. but will still be around $50. 
Dave
Spokane, WA