Author Topic: wrinkled summer sausage  (Read 319 times)

Roostershooter

• View Profile
wrinkled summer sausage
« on: August 27, 2019, 05:50:23 PM »
I have been trying to get a nice plump summer sausage with no wrinkles with no success.  The sausage tastes great but could look much better.  I stuff very tight, i do not think that understuffing is the problem.  I smoke at 170 degrees and it takes about 12 hours or more to bring it to 152-154.  Sometimes the sausage has come out of the smoker wrinkled and sometimes not.  I use a jerky dryer.  I always put the sausage in an ice bath which is supposed to take out wrinkles.  Once i put it in the bath i can see it wrinkling before my eyes.  Any ideas?  Should i quit the jerky dryer and add a water pan in the smoker? 

barelfly

• View Profile
Re: wrinkled summer sausage
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 09:07:51 PM »
Iíve only made sausage once, so..... but from my reading, if I remeber, doesnít the wrinkle come from the cases not being completely dry prior to smoking? And then doing the ice cold shock immediately after the smoke to set the casing.

Thatís what I remeber from when I made sausage a few weeks ago. Not sure if that helps or not though. Iíll see if I can find some other literature on it and get back.

Jeremy in Rio Rancho, NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear
$30 Masterbuilt Kettle Grill that is gold and at the lake!
Anova WiFi
Coleman Delux charcoal bullet smoker

Roostershooter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 01:17:41 PM »
After the meat is stuffed, I put in the fridge overnight to cure before smoking.  Its in there at least 12 hours.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 09:06:39 PM »
Mix it, stuff it then immediately smoke it at 200 to an It of 150. Pull them from the smoker and plunge them into a large cooler full of ice water. Leave it in the ice water until the IT comes way down. You are stopping the cooking process.

Smoking at the higher temp cooks the sausage without any extra drying.

I would not use a water pan or jerky dryer.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Muttley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 06:17:59 PM »
So there are some details I didn't see.  The first concern is you're losing all your moisture.  Try a binding agency like carrot powder to help retain moisture, and reduce the wrinkling.  Second, how long are you mixing for?  By hand, should be somewhere around 18-20 minutes, you want it very sticky.  Protein extraction is what you are looking for, and that will most certainly help with moisture retention.

You said you are coolking 170 degrees @ 12 hours is incredibly too long, and I think this could be your main challenge. I can cook 10lbs in my #2 in under 7 hours. You are cooking off all your moisture. 

I didn't see what you said your meat block was 80/20, 70/30?  The fattier, and the hotter you cook, the more fat rendering you are going to have.  I start my 70/30 at this:

25F for 1 hour
140F for 1 hour
155F for 2 hours
175F until internal meat temp of 160F

Here is probably one of the best sausage making resources I am aware of. 

https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/208/how-to-make-homemade-summer-sausage-recipe

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 05:13:37 PM »
I think Muttley nailed it.

Between the lack of using a meat binder, too long of a smoke, and possible lack of protein extraction from too short of a mixing time would be the main culprits.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 that has now replaced the Masterbuilt XL and 10+ Year-Old Big Chief. I also have a Weber Genesis Gas Grill, Weber Little Smokey at home and a Chargriller Deluxe (stick burner) and Camp Chef Three Burner Stove with Grill/Griddle out at the lake place.