Author Topic: First bacon!  (Read 385 times)

sweetride95

• View Profile
Re: First bacon!
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2018, 05:59:35 PM »
From what I understand, cold smoking will help you add quite a bit more smoke flavor. Hot smoking, you have a window of time where the smoke is available. In my case, it might have taken 2hrs to get 145f of temp in then meat. Cold smoking you could stretch that put indefinitely, if your temps were under 100f.

Im not setup to cold smoke currently, so I have no first hand experience. My 2hr hot smoke put a fair amount of hickory flavor in my bacon. If I got a cold smoke setup going, I would tread carefully. I like smoke, but don't like burping it all day.

Let's see if some other chime in for us.
Ben from IN
SI#2
Webber LP
23+ yr Machinist/EDM Rm Supervisor

Walt

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2018, 06:35:58 PM »
I generally cold smoke for 6 to 8 hours then do a 2 hr hot smoke the following day. I have skipped the cold smoke a time or two. The difference is in depth if flavor. I believe I've seen PorkBelly go substantially longer with cold smoke. I personally would put substantial weight to his opinion if he chimes in again. I'm not sure of how much would be too much or @ what point the improvement begins diminishing. I usually smoke a 15 to 20lb belly every month or so. Alot of requests lately from family & friends, so I'm going to start doing 2 full bellies from now on. Our favorite combination for seasoning is chipolte in adobo sauce, cane syrup & garlic. However, its enjoyable to experiment. Good luck.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2018, 08:51:31 PM »
The reason you would want to cold smoke rather than hot is more flavor. Once you get to 140 it is not sucking up smoke. During cold weather I have gone 24 hours of smoke on bacon. I have also done short six or eight hour sessions resting in the fridge overnight.

My personal taste is bacon and jerky can not have too much smoke.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

sweetride95

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2018, 08:27:28 AM »
Looks like I need to get a cold smoke setup working. ;D
Ben from IN
SI#2
Webber LP
23+ yr Machinist/EDM Rm Supervisor

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2018, 06:26:46 PM »
I cold smoke on my #3, use chips or slivers (pencil size) load smoker, crank heat to 250 with the door open. When you see smoke start, lower the heat to 100 and shut the door.

I use this method in cold or cool weather, no cold plate no ice.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud