Author Topic: Prime rib project  (Read 6826 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Prime rib project
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 08:34:33 PM »
...tender wise nothing can beat the sousvide for a long period tho....

I'll soon be the judge of that.  A good USDA Choice, or Prime, "prime" rib, smoked slow at 200, is absolutely fork-tender when done.  Any softer, and you'd have to eat it with a spoon. ;)   This is 8-11 lb roasts, bone-in, not the little baby boneless.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

icebob

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 08:51:02 PM »
to be honest, I prefer boneless as it is more surface for the tasty crust... ;) still need to try but on sous vide forum, they french the roast and cook the rib part at 132f for 72hrs!!! gonna have to try it!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 08:59:15 PM by icebob »
Bob from Cahokia, IL

DivotMaker

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 09:54:58 PM »
The bone plate, imo, is the key to low and slow in the smoker, Bob.  The ribs shield the tender meat from the heat, so it truly cooks low and slow.  I cut through the rib plate, almost all the way through, so it's like a flap.  Then, I season between the meat and the bones, then tie together for cooking.  After the reverse-sear, the side against the bones is very flavorful, just not seared. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 01:54:54 PM »
Frenching the bones could make for a very impressive presentation!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 02:43:14 PM »
I've done a enough boneless and flapped bones/retied to have a preference.  I found the tied bone roast to cook less evenly and take substantially longer, thus, the boneless is my prime rib roast of choice. I still achieve the same solid pink center edge to edge that Tony strives for. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 07:48:09 PM »
I found the tied bone roast to cook less evenly and take substantially longer, thus, the boneless is my prime rib roast of choice. I still achieve the same solid pink center edge to edge that Tony strives for.

If I'm not mistaken, Dave, didn't you say you use a higher temp, like 225?  That would make a difference, and cause unevenness, I would think.  At 200, it couldn't be more even if I painted the color on.
Tony from NW Arkansas