Author Topic: Newbie from Lititz, PA and Crystal River FL  (Read 6543 times)

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Newbie from Lititz, PA and Crystal River FL
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 09:03:47 AM »
Yes on the digital scale ... you will be surprised how little 2-3oz of wood really is!   At most, you might want to go to 4-5oz for some smokes, but generally you won't need more than 3oz as a rule.    Smoked turkey is a beautiful thing at Thanksgiving...you will love it.  Last year I did one turkey in the oven (traditional) and a turkey breast in the smoker - very nice.

If you haven't done so already, I would also suggest getting a remote thermometer like the maverick ET 732 or 733 ... this will be essential for monitoring the internal temps of your meat while smoking. 
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 05:46:56 PM »
Hey Scott, welcome to the club and congrats on the new smoker. I have the #3 and for the extra $100 it is well worth it. Not only do you get the extra capacity, the #3 also has a 1200 watt heating element. 

Regardless of which model, they are all great units, but I love the capacity of the #3, especially having more shelves abailable when making Jerky. And if you plan on making jerky, get the fan, it works great.

Btw, I haven't tried brewing beer, yet, I am into wine making since it is my wife's drink of choice. I have about 200 bottles aging at the moment.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 05:54:00 PM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

BrewsandBlues

• Smokin-It#2, homebrew, and blues guitbox
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 10:06:43 PM »
That is an impressive wine collection! Would like to try making wine sometime. If needed, I have loads of info on homebrewing, how to get started, good "how to" sites, etc. There are several really good mail order companies that sell extract kits reasonably.

Extract brewing is sort of like assembling a model, they pre-measure everything, just need to boil, chill, and ferment.

Scott
Scott from Crystal River FL

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 11:02:12 PM »
Thanks Scott. I'm going to have to take you up on that offer some time.  And that easier the better, pre-measured and ready to go.

About the wine, I would have to say that I got a bit carried away, but it is well worth it to make it in advance and let it age in the bottles.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 09:52:33 PM »
You guys are making me thirsty!!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

mtmedic

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 10:07:13 PM »
Brews, Welcome

I lived in Hernando for a few years. Worked in Crystal River. Went to Crystal Rive Wine and Cheese Co, great food, ie Pop's Pesto. Gonna love the #2!
Ron, Paramedic, in Big Sky Country