Author Topic: Guess What's Smoking?  (Read 7908 times)

OFFSHORE GINGER

Re: Guess What's Smoking?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 06:46:20 PM »
PB just curious what prep / time......  actually is involved when doing a head , and do I need to remove anything prior to smoking it and can you suggest a cook time overall  , and what wood did you like the best  ?
[I[I .............

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 12:50:18 AM »
The head in those pictures was skinned at slaughter then sawed in half. I cross hatched it about 1/4 inch deep and seasoned it with salt and pepper. The second head I smoked started whole with the hair on.  I scalded it with boiling water, then scraped off all the hair. I cut off the ears and seared them over my gas stove to remove the majority of the hair (smoked for dog treats). That head was left whole and scored cross hatch and rubbed with Memphis Dust. The third and fourth heads were done together in my #3. I seared them with a propane torch then scraped the hair and rinsed them thoroughly. Both heads were placed on the same shelf, nose up with no cross hatch or seasoning. all smokes were at 250 (I think), they went for 8, 10 & 12 hours. I think a whole head cross hatched for 10 hours was just about perfect.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2014, 03:35:59 PM »
PB , when you mention cross hatch are you just scoring the surface of the head ?
[I[I .............

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 04:10:49 AM »
No I go through all layers of the skin and just into the fat slightly.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud