Author Topic: Carrying Handles for my Model 2  (Read 2492 times)

Camadile

• Cookin' Outdoors, Mojoe Style
    • Mojoe Outfitters
Carrying Handles for my Model 2
« on: January 12, 2014, 11:43:00 AM »
Hello Everyone.  I just put a pork butt in my Model 2 and it made me think about joining up on this forum.  You folks have it goin' on!

So here's my first question:  Have any of you installed carrying handles on your smokers?  I live in the LA area and frequently go out to my friend's house in the desert.  (Its a middle of nowhere kind of place in Landers, CA).  Sometimes, I take my Model 2 out there with me so we can smoke while we drink beer.  The problem I have is loading and unloading the Model 2 into my 4WD truck.  Without handles, this is pretty much a two person job and sometimes I don't have another guy around to help me.  I know that if I could install some flip out handles on the side of my smoker, I could easily get it into my truck by myself.

As a plus, the handles would also act as tie-down attachment points for a stable ride out to the desert.

Thanks for your help.

Cam

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Carrying Handles for my Model 2
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 01:08:14 PM »
Hi Cam - welcome to the club!  Here's a link to the handles thread:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=822.0

A lot of these type questions have been discussed on the forum.  You can use the search box to see if there's an answer to your questions on here.

Take a minute to post something in the Introductions section to tell us about yourself.  Hang out often, and here's to many happy smokes with your #2!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Walt

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 01:08:54 PM »
I read something a few weeks ago about this topic.  I believe Ben was looking into recessing handles as a possibility for the future.  A home modification should be relatively simple but would probably void any warranty.  The solution I would lean toward would be a set of lifting straps like these "getthestraps.com".
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Camadile

• Cookin' Outdoors, Mojoe Style
    • Mojoe Outfitters
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 01:46:25 PM »
Thanks for the "Handle" thread.  Don't those "forearm forklifts" take two people to perform the lift?  I think I'll take a shot at installing handles myself.  I'll see what kind of handles they have at Home Depot next time I'm there.  When I do the mod, I'll post some pictures.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 02:38:11 PM »
Good luck, Cam.  I never did mine, as I became concerned about deforming the sidewalls (double-walled). 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!