Author Topic: First Time Out  (Read 1772 times)

DCBoy

First Time Out
« on: November 04, 2014, 09:22:53 AM »
My history of smoking includes the use of a Brinkmann charcoal smoker, a Weber Smokey Mountain, and a Primo Kamado that I still have and use. I have to admit that I got interested in electric smokers watching someone cooking on a Masterbuilt smoker on QVC, but knew that I would want something more substantial than a Masterbuilt and the similar units that I have seen in local stores. Some reserarch later, I pulled the trigger on a Model 3 a few weeks ago and used it for the first time last week. Talk about a leap of faith, my first smoke was 7 racks of baby backs. I followed all of the instructions here including foiling, making a small boat for the wood chunks (a mix of oak and hickory -I can't beleive how little wood I used!), etc., set the dial to 235, poured some apple juice in an aluminum pan, and didn't peek for the first 5 hours. Being the first time out, I had another meal ready for guests just in case. However, after a total cook of about 6 hours, I pulled the ribs out of the unit and was able to serve a wonderful meal to all of my guests. Now I'm anxious to give it a go again ASAP. Thanks to everyone on this forum for your help and advice. I'm sure that I'll need more going forward.
Here's a question. Packer briskets are not that easy to come by here in Massachusetts, but trimmed briskets in the 5 to 7 pound range can be found in any Costco or even local food stores. Are they worth smoking? How well to they come out? What adjustments do you have to make to cooking time, wood amounts, etc.? Thanks again.
Doug B.
Smoking in the Boy's Room!

Walt

Re: First Time Out
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 10:41:44 AM »
I cook the 6-7 lb flats from Sams regularly.  They are great!  Look up Walt's brined & injected brisket under beef for my take.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 10:43:21 AM »
Doug,

I don't do beef but a lot of folks here do. I would look at the recipe section. You can also use the search feature for brisket. You will se what worked well and what adjustments may have been necessary.

Dave
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

es1025

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 12:37:54 PM »
I have done brisket flats. I use the franklin method. Check out the beef section.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?