Author Topic: Question before buying?  (Read 5870 times)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Question before buying?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2020, 03:13:21 PM »
I am glad that I saved a little longer and went with the #3. I love that I can smoke whole racks of ribs and full packer briskets without having to cut them in half.

Plus like others have said, I like to smoke jerky and snack sticks and it doesn't take much to fill up even my #3 with jerky/sticks.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Durangosmoker

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2020, 06:15:08 PM »
I have a #1 at my cabin in Durango, and a #2 at home in the Hudson Valley, both analog, and can say that both of them can produce remarkable product.

As for choosing between them, as others have said, get as much room as your budget allows. I am not one to cook mixed meats at the same time, but there have been times when I wish I could have smoked more racks of ribs simultaneously, for example, rather than having to do two smokes.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

pappabear

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2020, 10:00:42 AM »
Before I bought, I was considering a #1. My brother suggested I get a #2 and glad I did. Still need to cut ribs in half, but I have the room if I need it. Always go a little bigger than you want if you can afford it.
Gary
Acme Pa
USAF Vet
Retired coal miner

Farpdinkle

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2020, 05:22:08 PM »
David, I have the Model 1, as it's just my wife and me; and it is all I need.  You asked about the smoke flavor, so let me give you my story: I paid over $800 for a Green Mountain Daniel Boone about 4 years ago.  Within the warranty period, I had two repairs that required parts.  I had no problem understanding how to do the replacements, as I used to repair small machinery (typewriters and adding machines--yes, that dates me, lol).  But when the auger froze, and it was out of the warranty period, I had had enough.  I offered my $800 DB, plus the $150 cover and who knows how much for the grill plates on Craig's List for a few bucks with no takers.  I then placed it on a smoking forum for FREE and a guy who likes to putz with stuff came and picked it up.

Here I will note, that when I smoked ribs on the GM-DB, the ribs always lacked good smoke flavor.  For several years, I had used my gas Weber (with soaked wood chips) and had much better luck.  After all, it's the flavor we're all after, right?

I had done my research--long and hard--before purchasing the Smokin' It Model 1, believe me!  Over many years, I had developed my own rub and my own sauce.  What I am saying, is that I am no rookie to BBQ.  Last year, I worked in Baton Rouge for a few months, and I was privileged to be a judge at a BBQ in West Baton Rouge. There were folks there with custom trailers and custom smokers.  Here's the punchline--my ribs done on the Model 1 back in Minnesota are as good as any I judged in the contest--and I'm not joking.

I use about 2 ounces of pecan and an ounce of apple wood.  I used to weigh the chunks, but just use my eye method now.  No, my ribs don't have a smoke ring.  And get this: I have them in the Model 1 for just the first 2-2.5 hours and finish them in the oven.  I get all the great smoke flavor I ever wanted, and I like plenty of smoke.

Maybe someday I'll share my simple method, my rub and sauce.  Right now, and I'm not joking this time either, I need to go and get some sauce on the ribs in the oven.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 07:59:03 PM by Farpdinkle »

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2020, 01:31:31 PM »
David, I have the Model 1, as it's just my wife and me; and it is all I need.  You asked about the smoke flavor, so let me give you my story: I paid over $800 for a Green Mountain Daniel Boone about 4 years ago.  Within the warranty period, I had two repairs that required parts.  I had no problem understanding how to do the replacements, as I used to repair small machinery (typewriters and adding machines--yes, that dates me, lol).  But when the auger froze, and it was out of the warranty period, I had had enough.  I offered my $800 DB, plus the $150 cover and who knows how much for the grill plates on Craig's List for a few bucks with no takers.  I then placed it on a smoking forum for FREE and a guy who likes to putz with stuff came and picked it up.

Here I will note, that when I smoked ribs on the GM-DB, the ribs always lacked good smoke flavor.  For several years, I had used my gas Weber (with soaked wood chips) and had much better luck.  After all, it's the flavor we're all after, right?

I had done my research--long and hard--before purchasing the Smokin' It Model 1, believe me!  Over many years, I had developed my own rub and my own sauce.  What I am saying, is that I am no rookie to BBQ.  Last year, I worked in Baton Rouge for a few months, and I was privileged to be a judge at a BBQ in West Baton Rouge. There were folks there with custom trailers and custom smokers.  Here's the punchline--my ribs done on the Model 1 back in Minnesota are as good as any I judged in the contest--and I'm not joking.

I use about 2 ounces of pecan and an ounce of apple wood.  I used to weigh the chunks, but just use my eye method now.  No, my ribs don't have a smoke ring.  And get this: I have them in the Model 1 for just the first 2-2.5 hours and finish them in the oven.  I get all the great smoke flavor I ever wanted, and I like plenty of smoke.

Maybe someday I'll share my simple method, my rub and sauce.  Right now, and I'm not joking this time either, I need to go and get some sauce on the ribs in the oven.

Can I ask why the move to the oven? Have you tried smoking all the way in the #1 and prefer the results from the oven? I am just curious about what led you to this process.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Farpdinkle

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2020, 09:33:13 AM »
The meat will only absorb the smoke for the first 2 hours, give or take.  Folks can keep their meat in the smoker beyond that, as it's convenient; but as I'm taking the ribs out to wrap them anyway, I just prefer to finish them in the oven.  Think of it this way--with the meat wrapped, no flavor from the smoker is being imparted to the ribs.  It's just a heat source.  I can accomplish that in the oven, and I think the oven maintains a more even temperature anyway. 

The last hour, the ribs are unwrapped, sauced and just heated to finish the cook and caramelize the BBQ sauce.  Again, there is no need to have them in the smoker for this.  It works, as I'd put my ribs up against anyone's  :)

As a final thought, and considering the meat only absorbs the smoke until it reaches approximately 135 degrees or 2 hours +/-, then consider this: there are folks who would like their Smokin' It smokers to cook at a temperature higher than 250 degrees.  So, start in the smoker for 2 hours, and finish in the oven at whatever temperature desired, provided it fits (eveything done in the Model 1 will fit in my oven).
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 09:50:54 AM by Farpdinkle »

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2020, 05:18:02 PM »
Hi Farpdinkle and welcome to the forum.  Early on, there were folks that wanted to smoke at a higher temp and if I remember, most of that desire was to get crispy poultry skin. And I agree, meat can only soak up smoke to a certain depth which explains why the smoking only goes so deep. There will, of course, always be those who say meat absorbs smoke as long as smoke is present, even into the 12 hour range. Rather, I think the smoke compounds, good or bad, just layer up on the outside.  Here is a link that goes into smoke and combustion:

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/grill-and-smoker-setup-and-firing/what-you-need-know-about-wood-smoke-and
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 05:25:39 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Farpdinkle

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2020, 05:44:47 PM »
Hi, Sarge.  The link you sent is one of the places I had read when I was trying to learn more--brilliant minds think alike  8)

I hope the original poster jumps in for a Smokin' It product.  There are none better for the money, and the Model 1 handles anything I need to do.   Folks who entertain more than another couple need to go bigger, but my #1 will do two racks cut in half just fine.  Keep smokin'!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2020, 10:54:43 PM »
Hi Farpdinkle,

Thanks for the update. That is kind of what I figured the answer would be. Some good points made for sure.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DavidPDX

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2020, 12:29:53 AM »
Hey everyone,
I want to thank you all so much for your replies. I was almost convinced to go with a #2 and then went with a #1. I’ve smoked a whole chicken and some chicken breasts and they were delicious. I’m no longer concerned about the amount of smoke as it’s perfect. I hesitated buying a smoker for a long time mostly because my wife is a vegetarian and I wasn’t sure how much use it would get but this will get plenty of use! Tomorrow I’m trying my first pork shoulder and I cannot wait.

Thanks again,
David

barelfly

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2020, 10:28:37 AM »
Glad to hear you have enjoyed the first few cooks! Pork butt will be great! These cookers do great with Pork butt, well, they do great with everything!

Enjoy!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2020, 09:02:57 PM »
smoked baked potatoes are really good. Butter (or margarine) rubbed on skin, some salt, pepper, garlic granules and onion powder sprinkled on on skin and bake 2-2.5 (sometimes 3 hours if big) hours at 250 deg.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA