Author Topic: Thoughts at 6 months in  (Read 7337 times)

jclifton

Thoughts at 6 months in
« on: December 11, 2018, 05:01:47 PM »
I've just finished a smoke wanted to give my thoughts at six months in. 

The 3.5 is the same height and depth as a 5 so the box is not so wide but pretty deep.  So reaching in to clean is a bit of a pain.  Since there is not a cart it makes it fairly low to the ground again making the cleaning a bit of a pain.  The racks and shelves don't fit in the dishwasher either.

Now that being said the volume is wonderful.  Two turkeys very easily fit, 6 port shoulders no issue at all and I can't even imagine how many slabs of ribs would fit.

Whether it is the design, the heating element quality, the controller or the larger thermal mass the temperature control is awesome.  Very much a confidence bost when the results are repeatable from smoke to smoke. The insulated box also performs well not too hot even during the summer and while I'm sure it drew a couple of extra amps last night it did find even though it was 22F outside.

All in all very satisfied six months in.  If I ever get to build a my retirement home I'll be sure to add place for the smoker in the outdoor kitchen with a raised platform.

Jason
On order:
SI 3.5D w/Big Red

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Thoughts at 6 months in
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 09:07:11 PM »
Good to hear you are enjoying the smoker. I rarely ever clean mine except for pulling the fold and removing the collected grease after each smoke.  The box itself gets an infrequent brushing when the "seasoning" begins to alligator and flake off.  As for the racks, I hand wash. Keeps me out of trouble.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Stevegardner

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 11:56:45 PM »
I am smoker less right now, but not for long. I have to say, I never cleaned my ST. I would clean the grills and change the foil out...that was it. Maybe I should approach that differently when I get my new one...

tomd8

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 12:23:47 PM »
I must be a maniac clean freak as I remove foils (bottom and smoke box), remove smoke box, wipe down sides, back, bottom for grease (paper towels and hot rag), wash rack(s) I cooked on, side slides and grease pan to remove all food and splattered grease.  Since I don't use this weekly my concern is mold and insects.  Sounds like I'm working overtime.
Tom from New York
SmokinIt #3 analog, Masterbuilt analog, Little Chief

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 05:40:07 PM »
I must be a maniac clean freak as I remove foils (bottom and smoke box), remove smoke box, wipe down sides, back, bottom for grease (paper towels and hot rag), wash rack(s) I cooked on, side slides and grease pan to remove all food and splattered grease.  Since I don't use this weekly my concern is mold and insects.  Sounds like I'm working overtime.

I'm in the Dallas area and don't bother with cleaning my #2 much at all...  if the foil lining the top of the smoke box and the bottom of the smoker is really dirty I'll change it out.  Otherwise, I occasionally use a putty knife to knock off large flakes on the walls/rails and throw them out.  The racks I throw in the dishwasher.  That's pretty much the extent of it.  I've never seen any indication of bugs or growth inside my smoker.  I probably smoke (average) 3 times per month, but sometimes those are consecutive days so it can go a while between uses.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

jclifton

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 10:06:55 AM »
What I meant by cleaning is just using a paper towel to whip any wet oil off the sides and bottom after removing the foil from the bottom.

I was thinking any oil would be a place where bad things might start.

Jason
On order:
SI 3.5D w/Big Red

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 11:02:04 AM »
Check 2nd hand stores and Craigslist for a food service cart.  I found a cart that works perfectly for my #3 for $50.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA