Author Topic: My first smoked salmon in #1  (Read 2872 times)

Akalli

My first smoked salmon in #1
« on: August 25, 2018, 11:27:45 PM »
Actually, my first time cooking fish of any kind, using any method. I don't do fish. But my hubby loves salmon, so I bought a 1 pound piece at the meat store and came here for recommendations. I will say that when it was done it didn't smell fishy at all, so I stepped outside my comfort zone and had a bite. Then another bite. And another. I had no idea it would be so good! My first thought was that it tasted like chicken. Really moist and flaky chicken. And hubby loved it. Thanks to all the posts here for giving me the confidence to try something completely new. Next time I'll make enough to share with some neighbors.  We're always sharing each other's smoking experiences. Here's what I did: a wet brine of about 1-2 qt water, 2/3 cup sugar, 1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce. Set in fridge overnight. About 15 hours later I took it out of the brine, forgot to rinse it, but I patted it dry. After about 5 hours had a decent pellicle (not a perfect pellicle but I was impatient). It was shiny, just not as shiny as some pictures I've seen. Brushed it with a honey/water glaze. Put it in my #1 at 190 degrees until IT reached 140 (for 1 hour 45 minutes). Used two handfuls of alder wood chips. Used a small loaf pan with water. I did tent it to keep the smoke inside longer, but next time I will try without the tent to see what we like better. I have nothing to compare it to, but DANG it was moist, flaky, smoky, and beautiful. This experiment was a raging success! I'm so relieved  :)

Andrea

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 11:30:36 PM by Akalli »

barelfly

Re: My first smoked salmon in #1
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 11:55:05 PM »
Congrats on the successful salmon smoke. And more importantly stepping  outside your comfort zone and trying something new. Smoked salmon is an amazing meal, such a delicate, tender bite with tremendous flavor!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

shrews824

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 12:20:26 PM »
Looks great to me.  Smoked salmon is quickly becoming one of my most favorite things to throw in my #2.
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2
Beautiful wife and daughter that are my world.

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 03:53:54 PM »
Glad you had a successful smoke. I've found that if I'm buying a wrapped piece of fish to search for the very longest buy before date to get the freshest piece. If I'm buying from an open display case, I always ask to smell. Fresh fish has a clean smell.  Sometimes rinsing the older fish will help get rid of the fishy smell and taste but not completely.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

Jimeo

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 03:59:25 PM »
Nice color on the fish Andrea!  I’ve been using alder as well and really enjoy it with salmon.  Congrats on a successful first! 
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310