Author Topic: Post-Thanksgiving Smoked Turkey  (Read 21044 times)

grogorat

Re: Post-Thanksgiving Smoked Turkey
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 08:48:44 AM »
Good lookin' bird, Mike.

Question: Would it be foolhardy to crisp up the skin in the oven after the smoker, or will that dry out the meat?
Gary from Houston
Smokin-It #2

Donmac

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 09:49:21 AM »
Good lookin' bird, Mike.

Question: Would it be foolhardy to crisp up the skin in the oven after the smoker, or will that dry out the meat?

Actually a lot of guys do just that, just preheat the oven to 500-550 and throw in the bird for maybe 5-10 minutes.
Don from New Hampshire, 3D & #1 Owner

grogorat

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2015, 09:43:15 AM »
Good lookin' bird, Mike.

Actually a lot of guys do just that, just preheat the oven to 500-550 and throw in the bird for maybe 5-10 minutes.

Cool, thanks man
Gary from Houston
Smokin-It #2

TheLocNar

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2015, 08:29:24 PM »
Think I'll give this a go for thanksgiving this year.

One tip for the skin. If it's still not crisp, just remove it and crisp in the oven and slice it up as a side. Like turkey skin bacon. ;)
PBC
SI #2
Chicagoish

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2015, 09:50:49 PM »
Great idea on the skin, Jeff!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SpottedCow

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 11:11:38 PM »
Just want to let you know Im doing a 12.25 pounder this weekend and Ive got it sitting in your brine right how. Very similar to my typical poultry brine except you don't add sugar and thyme.

1 cup kosher salt to 2 gallons water. My bird is 8% injected but after doing some research I found that quite a few people use that same salt ratio with birds already pre-injected with that amount or more. Its going to be sitting in the brine around 48 hours so I hope Im alright in that regard.

Ill let you know how it turns out.

Kevin

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 11:16:09 PM by SpottedCow »
#2 Owner. Little chief for cold smoking. Avid bow hunter.

Spotted cow.....Wisconsin's favorite beer available nowhere else.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2015, 11:24:32 PM »
Hey Spotted Cow! Knew from your handle that you had to be from Wisconsin. I have been brining pre-injected turkeys for 15+ years, and have never ONCE had a turkey turn out too salty. I worried about it many times...that's what everyone says...it will be too salty...but never is. I don't know if there is really not that much sodium in the pre-injections in relation to the full mass of the bird, or if it doesn't really distribute through the meat, or both. It's all about achieving equilibrium anyway. And I wonder if the pre-injections are really more about adding water/weight, so the turkey will cost more.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SpottedCow

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2015, 11:34:48 PM »
Hey Spotted Cow! Knew from your handle that you had to be from Wisconsin. I have been brining pre-injected turkeys for 15+ years, and have never ONCE had a turkey turn out too salty. I worried about it many times...that's what everyone says...it will be too salty...but never is. I don't know if there is really not that much sodium in the pre-injections in relation to the full mass of the bird, or if it doesn't really distribute through the meat, or both. It's all about achieving equilibrium anyway. And I wonder if the pre-injections are
really more about adding water/weight, so the turkey will cost more.

Absolutely 8) born and raised. I actually bow hunt pretty close to madtown....over in Rio but Im from the Fox Valley. I think you're spot on about the salt content. Other forums have said that the injection is saltier than any brine you're going to make so if anything it evens out the salt content in the bird. This one was free from work last year but given that my wife had purchased a 20lb giant already, this one has been sitting in the deep freeze ever since.

Pulled it out and had it sitting in the fridge since Monday and Ive used almost this exact method before for whole chickens so Im expecting some good results.

Kevin

DivotMaker

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2015, 10:10:36 PM »
my wife had purchased a 20lb giant already, this one has been sitting in the deep freeze ever since.

Pulled it out and had it sitting in the fridge since Monday and Ive used almost this exact method before for whole chickens so Im expecting some good results.

Kevin

WAY too big for the smoker, Kevin, unless you are smoking in a bypassed unit higher than 250.  Otherwise, put that behemoth in the oven...NOT safe to smoke a turkey that large at low temp.  Way too much time in the "danger zone," between 40 and 140°.  About 14 lbs is the MAX you can safely smoke at low temp.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SconnieQ

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2015, 11:35:25 PM »
my wife had purchased a 20lb giant already, this one has been sitting in the deep freeze ever since.

Kevin

WAY too big for the smoker, Kevin, unless you are smoking in a bypassed unit higher than 250.  Otherwise, put that behemoth in the oven...NOT safe to smoke a turkey that large at low temp.  Way too much time in the "danger zone," between 40 and 140°.  About 14 lbs is the MAX you can safely smoke at low temp.

I think the turkey Kevin speaks of putting on the smoker this weekend is the 12.25 lb one he mentioned in the previous post from 10/22? That size is perfect. The 20 lb one would be too large, but I don't think that is the one Kevin was putting on the smoker.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SpottedCow

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2015, 03:45:04 PM »
Yup 12 pounder is going in the smoker. The 20# I mentioned was Thanksgiving last year (oven).

DivotMaker

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2015, 05:33:41 PM »
 :-[   Sorry guys...missed the post about the 12 pounder.  Got distracted by the 20 lb bird!  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2015, 06:31:14 PM »
:-[   Sorry guys...missed the post about the 12 pounder.  Got distracted by the 20 lb bird!  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! :o
You were hyp..mo..tized!
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2015, 06:33:04 PM »
That's it, Kari!  Actually, I was grieving that our Pack is taking a week off, and was blinded by the depression. :(
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2015, 06:43:47 PM »
That's it, Kari!  Actually, I was grieving that our Pack is taking a week off, and was blinded by the depression. :(
The bye is always a weekend for me to get some things done. Can't do anything other than football, and football related activities and football food on Packer Sundays! ;D
Anova WiFi Sous Vide