Author Topic: How long for a 20lb Turkey?  (Read 2772 times)

Hertz

How long for a 20lb Turkey?
« on: November 19, 2016, 09:27:53 PM »
I got volunteered for the task of smoking the Thanksgiving bird this year, which I don't mind, but it was short notice. We have a 20lb turkey, and I plan on smoking it at 250. I have a regular #3, so there's nothing digital holding the temp. I'm not going to stuff it, just an open cavity. If dinner is at 4, and I finish it in the oven for the skin, what time should I throw it in in the morning? Thanks!!!
Herb -- Washington State

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: How long for a 20lb Turkey?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 09:50:31 PM »
It is generally not recommended to smoke a turkey that large at 250, since it needs to get to an internal temperature of 140 within 4 hours for food safety. However, if you butterfly the turkey (or completely separate it into two halves), and place it bone side down on the rack, you will most likely get to 140 before 4 hours. If at 3-1/2 hours you have not reached 140, then put it into a 375 oven to reach 140, then turn down to 325 until 165 in the breast. It will still be plenty smoky. You can also smoke your turkey whole for 3 hours, then transfer to a 375-400 oven to reach 140, then turn down to 325 until until 165 in the breast. I don't think you are ever going to get "great" skin if you are smoking your turkey. The smoking process slowly renders out a lot of the fat in the skin, turning it kind of thin and papery. You can crisp it in a hot oven, but you might still be disappointed in the skin. It's a trade-off. I would highly recommend brining your turkey. The cooking process and moistness will be much more forgiving. Not sure about the timing. It would depend on whether you split it (faster) and what temperature you finish it in the oven. You might have to be flexible in your eat time for a turkey that large, with a multi-step process. I would guess somewhere around 5-6 hours?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 09:55:43 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

40 caliber

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 06:14:16 PM »
What Sconnie said  ;D
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 09:20:53 PM »
Kari nailed it!  Never smoke a turkey that large at 250 all the way!  Stick with ~14 lb birds for the smoker.  If you need more meat, smoke two! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!