Author Topic: Newcomer to SI - Couple of Questions After First Few Cooks  (Read 2929 times)

ken h

Newcomer to SI - Couple of Questions After First Few Cooks
« on: February 17, 2019, 06:38:30 PM »
I have a SI 3.5D.  Im new to electric smokers.  I have done 3 smokes with 3.5D and I have a couple of questions.  So far I have done ribs twice and a pork shoulder.  I have been cooking at 225 and I have placed a small water pan in the bottom of the smoker each time.  It is my understanding that with the SI you put the meat on and don’t mess with it until its time to take it out which is contrary to what I have done with the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker I was using before the SI.  With the Weber I would spritz whatever I had on the pit periodically with apple juice to keep the meet from getting dry on the outside.   The first two cooks I did on the SI I did not check on or spritz the meat during the cook which resulted in the meat being dry on the outside.   The last cook I did was my second go round with ribs.  After about 3 hours I checked them and they were getting dried out.  I would have spritzed them with apple juice but didn’t have any so I basted them with bbq sauce instead and continued to do so periodically until they were done.  The basting kept them from getting dry on the outside.   I need some clarification on whether or not meat on the SI needs some attention during a smoke to keep the outside from becoming dried out or should I be doing something differently?

After my smokes there is still quite a bit of the Smokinlicous wood chunk left over in the form of a blackened chunk of wood.  Can the wood chunks be used again or should you start with a fresh chunk of wood for the next smoke?
Ken H

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Newcomer to SI - Couple of Questions After First Few Cooks
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 07:38:00 PM »
Hello Ken - I don't spritz although with my old offset I would baste from time to time.  But starting with the Cookshack and continuing with my SI, I just let the meat go.  There is no hard and fast rule regarding spritzing or mopping. If that is what you want to do have at it. I suspect many people do just that as well as wrap ribs in a 3-2-1 manner. It is pretty much up to you and what you like.  Personally, I like the bark!  Below the bark, the meat is typically moist and tender.  As for the wood being leftover, I would toss it, or save it for using on a charcoal grill if you have one.  I generally get just ash after a smoke, sometime a few small pieces of charcoal. The general consensus is that if all that is left is ash then the wood caught fire. I have not noticed a temp spike if that is the case but then I don't monitor what is happening. If you are getting good smoke flavor, not bitter, then whether the leftover is a chunk or ash should not matter much.  Enjoy!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 07:44:50 PM »
I don't spritz or mop. For ribs I use Memphis Dust which I think that makes a very thin bark that helps hold moisture in.  For all the turkey breast I've done, they come out moist with no mopping or spritzing.  I do brine them for 12 hours and also put herbed butter under the skin.
For pulled pork, I want bark for flavor and texture, no spritzing there either.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

ken h

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 05:52:57 PM »
Sarge- I like bark also.  Thanks for the feedback. 

I don't spritz or mop. For ribs I use Memphis Dust which I think that makes a very thin bark that helps hold moisture in.  For all the turkey breast I've done, they come out moist with no mopping or spritzing.  I do brine them for 12 hours and also put herbed butter under the skin.
For pulled pork, I want bark for flavor and texture, no spritzing there either.

Dave- I like bark like you described also but what I was experiencing was the onset of a tough crust, particularly on the pork shoulder.  I guess I will have to experiment with brining and see if that makes a difference.
Ken H

LuvMyQ

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 03:34:32 PM »
HI Ken.  Welcome to the community.  You and I share the same path.  Started with the WSM and now have the 3D Wifi.  I never basted on either.  But I never got good at ribs on the WSM - always dry.  On the SI, the first few ribs I did were a little dry.  We like them fall off the bone.  The last baby backs I did at 250. I pulled and double wrapped at 3 hours with a little honey, brown sugar and rub added to the foil, and meat side up.  This was my first 250 smoke on ribs.  And they were starting to get done earlier when I wanted, so lowered to 195 after I wrapped them.  I pulled to eat after 1 hr and 45 minutes.  They were so tender, I could not hold the rack together in one piece.  I currently have some St Louis style from Costco running at 235.  Since there are 3 racks, I may wrap 2 and sauce the third for comparison.

As for pork shoulder, I think my first 2 were a little dry, but easily remedied with a little juice added when I pulled it apart.  No one knew.  My last one I did, I brined for 12 hours at smoked at 225.  It took almost 16 hours to hit 190.  It was very tender before I let it rest even.  I think I used to cook them to 195+ before.  I have started journaling extensively now so I can begin to dial in and not count on memory.  If you are not journaling , then I recommend you do so.  (Start time, set temp, IT at intervals, size of meat, wood quantity and type, etc.)

BTW, if you are ready to try a brisket brisket, get a prime one if you can.  Costco and Sams sell them. No need to wrap.  Just rub it, insert the probe and get it to temp.  Never had anything close to a moist brisket in my WSM.  I gave up after a few tries.  With the SI, I am averaging a brisket a month.  IN fact it was seeing pics of briskets on this forum that got me to give in to an electric. 

I hope some of this helps.
Terry from Indiana
3D WIFI
Weber Performer (Kettle in a cart with a gas igniter)Formerly owned WSM 18"
Never had a gas grill
I love technology
Counting the years to retirement

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 07:52:20 PM »
If you want to spray, wrap, baste or in any way mess with food your smoking then do it. You should do what makes you happy and not try to match the common theme or style talked about here.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

ken h

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 12:18:47 AM »
Terry- A lot of good info there.  Thanks for posting.
Ken
HI Ken.  Welcome to the community.  You and I share the same path.  Started with the WSM and now have the 3D Wifi.  I never basted on either.  But I never got good at ribs on the WSM - always dry.  On the SI, the first few ribs I did were a little dry.  We like them fall off the bone.  The last baby backs I did at 250. I pulled and double wrapped at 3 hours with a little honey, brown sugar and rub added to the foil, and meat side up.  This was my first 250 smoke on ribs.  And they were starting to get done earlier when I wanted, so lowered to 195 after I wrapped them.  I pulled to eat after 1 hr and 45 minutes.  They were so tender, I could not hold the rack together in one piece.  I currently have some St Louis style from Costco running at 235.  Since there are 3 racks, I may wrap 2 and sauce the third for comparison.

As for pork shoulder, I think my first 2 were a little dry, but easily remedied with a little juice added when I pulled it apart.  No one knew.  My last one I did, I brined for 12 hours at smoked at 225.  It took almost 16 hours to hit 190.  It was very tender before I let it rest even.  I think I used to cook them to 195+ before.  I have started journaling extensively now so I can begin to dial in and not count on memory.  If you are not journaling , then I recommend you do so.  (Start time, set temp, IT at intervals, size of meat, wood quantity and type, etc.)

BTW, if you are ready to try a brisket brisket, get a prime one if you can.  Costco and Sams sell them. No need to wrap.  Just rub it, insert the probe and get it to temp.  Never had anything close to a moist brisket in my WSM.  I gave up after a few tries.  With the SI, I am averaging a brisket a month.  IN fact it was seeing pics of briskets on this forum that got me to give in to an electric. 

I hope some of this helps.
Ken H

SmokedGouda

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 03:14:33 PM »
Welcome to SI!

There are so many great posts on here for all types of smoke with a variety of different styles. Some go more hands on while others don’t. I personally like to just set it in the smoker and let the #2 go to work until it hits my IT.

For me it’s all in the prep. I like to brine my pork butts; I do an equilibrium brines now, but have done gradient brine which is a little easier as you’re getting started (good posts on here about that). I’ve never had an issue with my pork being dry so far and everyone always loves it. I have also started to make a vinegar based bbq sauce to have on the side in case anyone wants extra moisture and flavor. I use the same ingredients that are in the brine and rub when making the sauce. The sauce really comes in handy with leftovers (when I have some).

I keep track of all my smokes so that I can make adjustments more easily to keep improving the outcomes. I’d recommend that too for sure.
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Model 2. Cold smoke plate. Jerky dryer.
Maverick ET-732

ken h

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 08:21:09 PM »
Phil- You've provided more food for thought on different methods for smoking.  I still have only done a handful of smokes with the SI and Im making progress on getting further up the learning curve.  I haven't logged any of my smokes yet but I intend to going forward.
Thanks,

Ken
Welcome to SI!

There are so many great posts on here for all types of smoke with a variety of different styles. Some go more hands on while others don’t. I personally like to just set it in the smoker and let the #2 go to work until it hits my IT.

For me it’s all in the prep. I like to brine my pork butts; I do an equilibrium brines now, but have done gradient brine which is a little easier as you’re getting started (good posts on here about that). I’ve never had an issue with my pork being dry so far and everyone always loves it. I have also started to make a vinegar based bbq sauce to have on the side in case anyone wants extra moisture and flavor. I use the same ingredients that are in the brine and rub when making the sauce. The sauce really comes in handy with leftovers (when I have some).

I keep track of all my smokes so that I can make adjustments more easily to keep improving the outcomes. I’d recommend that too for sure.
Ken H