Author Topic: Getting Ready to buy a Food Sealer need advice please.  (Read 11300 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Getting Ready to buy a Food Sealer need advice please.
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2016, 05:33:24 PM »
got 20 lbs salmon LOX that will be ready for sealing. I also ordered the gold back foil bags to make the lox look great for gifts.

Ed, please show pictures of your sealed salmon lox. I tend to get lazy and seal in a stack, because it's a lot of work to fan out in standard vacuum bags. Do the gold foil bags come with a cardboard backer? How do you slice your lox? I slice by hand with a granton edge slicing knife. Any tips there? Do you use a slicer?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 05:35:36 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Eds smoking

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2016, 10:15:46 PM »
I slice with a 12 inch simeter knife that I also use as my skinning knife, it's real sharp. When I pack the lox this week I'll post pics.  The bags have no cardboard. They have a foil like back with a vac textured front. I have a board I use to slide the lox  into bags. When i process I'll post.

t

SconnieQ

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 12:23:17 AM »
I slice with a 12 inch simeter knife that I also use as my skinning knife, it's real sharp. When I pack the lox this week I'll post pics.  The bags have no cardboard. They have a foil like back with a vac textured front. I have a board I use to slide the lox  into bags. When i process I'll post.

I have been searching for a source for the gold/silver or gold/black backer boards used for vacuum sealing lox. I can only find sources in the UK. I think I will start a new thread to see if anyone knows where to get them delivered to the US. From what I have found online, the gold backed bags can only be used in chamber sealers, and are not compatible with suction sealers. But I would think the cardboard inserts could be used in any vacuum sealer.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 12:58:00 AM by SconnieQ »
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 07:26:42 PM »
Makes a great-looking package, Kari!  Now you just need a custom label for the outside!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 07:33:05 PM »
Makes a great-looking package, Kari!  Now you just need a custom label for the outside!

Haha! Those are not mine. The photos are from the internet (UK sites), to try and show the gold/silver cardboards I am trying to find for packaging my lox.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 07:49:12 PM »
I didn't think they were... just commenting they make a great package, and that a custom label would top it off.  :)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 07:50:52 PM »
I'll definitely consider the custom label, if I can just find the darn things.  ;D
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Jeffinn

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2016, 04:32:04 PM »
I've got the Weston Pro 2300 and I like it alot. It was a bit pricey but money well spent.
I replaced my last two foodsavers after a little over a year for each one. The last one was a $200 unit that wasn't repairable (it couldn't even be disassembled).
The Weston parts are all replaceable.
Jeff

Walt

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2016, 12:22:57 PM »
I am also happy with the Weston pro 2300. Built like a tank.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

barrytm

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2016, 09:31:02 PM »
Another option is a snorkel vac.   I have the Sinbo  http://www.amazon.com/Sinbo-Light-Industrial-Vacuum-Sealer/dp/B00GN2KU0O   the main advantage is that you can use flat bags, also called chamber bags, which are much cheaper than the mesh or embossed bags used in other sealers.   $50 for 1,000 chamber bags 8" x 12 "  http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ary-vacmaster-30723-8-x-12-chamber-vacuum-packaging-pouches-bags-3-mil-1000-box/120VPM30723.html    The best pricing I could find for mesh bags was around $160. 
#2 Analog.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2016, 12:29:12 PM »
My parents just bought a VacMaster 350 Pro and this thing is very solid. It may be a bit overkill for some home users, but it is a very fine machine.
https://shop.vacuumsealersunlimited.com/VacMaster-Pro-350-876350.htm

We packaged 56lbs of Venison Snack Sticks this weekend in a little over an hour.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Limey

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2016, 12:41:57 PM »
I too have a VacMaster 350 Pro and am very pleased with it.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.