Author Topic: HeaterMeter DIY  (Read 7227 times)

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
HeaterMeter DIY
« on: January 18, 2015, 04:33:36 PM »
So, originally I started the topic of looking at the Maverick ET-735 (http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2339.0) since I returned my ET-733 just after getting it. Since then I've still wondered about a "better" solution than bluetooth (e.g. wifi). I ran across this DIY project called HeaterMeter:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=18142

Basically, this is a Do It Yourself project that may be a little pricey as compared to some of the ready to purchase products out there but it has a unique "coolness" factor. I am doing some more reading about this and may head down this direction since I like doing pet projects like this. I'll let you all know if I decide to take the leap. I like that is uses raspberry Pi and has Wifi capabilities with up to 4 probes.  Definitely worth checking out!
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

Limey

Re: HeaterMeter DIY
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 11:06:46 AM »
Tony, an outfit called Tappeque has something very similar-four probes and wifi connectivity. The cost is around $200 for a proven product that has been around for a bit. Looking at the parts listing, and assuming that you buy four new probes, I think you may have a hard time doing it any cheaper. There again if you prefer soldering to smoking.... :)
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 08:04:02 PM »
Or, just go Auber and forget the additional probes!  My Maverick is very lonely. :(
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 11:11:33 PM »
When I read the wiki on this HeaterMeter device it looks like it can be used as a PID controller. Granted, the example on their wiki has it only controlling a fan for the big green egg. I'm going to look into this a little more. The Auber's appear to be near $200 when you include the wall mounted sensor (and more with switches, etc...). If I can build this heatermeter and have it do the same as the Auber but with a slick wifi and graphing interface included I would think it's worth the extra cost.

https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/wiki

The more I read about this thing the more my mind is getting curious. I think I can turn it into a smoker PID (gonna register on their forum and ask about this) because I see people asking questions about hooking it up to a Solid State Relay (SSR) which is basically the same thing in your $200 Auber?

I'm seriously considering biting the bullet and heading this direction as a fun experiment/project. I even kind of wonder if I could use the fan part of this heatermeter kit to rig up something similar to the James Jerky dryer.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 01:55:04 AM by TmanEater »

Tony from Marion, IA

Limey

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 10:48:03 AM »
Good luck Tony. Keep us all posted.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 08:03:20 PM »
You might just be the next Auber Instruments, Tony! ;)   With some creativity and know-how, anyone can build a better mousetrap!  While I'm personally very happy with the Auber PID, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to looking at more capability - as long as I don't have to build it! ;)   I can, mind you, but my time and patience for that just aren't what they used to be.  Off the shelf, proven technology for me, these days.

Good luck, and keep us posted!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 08:57:15 PM »
I'm usually into off the shelf items these days too. But once in a while I still like to step outside my comfort zone and experiment. I'll just have to be patient and take my time if I choose to do this endeavor as rush jobs usually come back to me in spades. With two kids and a wife at home it should be really interesting to see where I find the time to do this. Maybe on the weekends while I wait for my smokes to get done! Beer and Soldering irons could be the new wave of "Lazy-Q".

Tony from Marion, IA

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 10:52:40 PM »
Ok... I've made my decision to take on this HeaterMeter building project. I'll try to take lots of notes, pictures, and track my thoughts on this adventure. I'm guessing it will be 2-3 weeks to get all the parts I need (when I order - hopefully this weekend). Then another amount of weeks depending on my motivation levels to put the project together, research, and test things out.

Wish me luck and smooth sailing!

Tony from Marion, IA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 12:24:08 AM »
If it works out, you start having to take orders. ;)

Good luck with your project! It sounds interesting.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 07:22:39 PM »
Ok... I've made my decision to take on this HeaterMeter building project. I'll try to take lots of notes, pictures, and track my thoughts on this adventure. I'm guessing it will be 2-3 weeks to get all the parts I need (when I order - hopefully this weekend). Then another amount of weeks depending on my motivation levels to put the project together, research, and test things out.

Wish me luck and smooth sailing!

Better stock up on beer! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 11:41:26 PM »

Thanks, but I'm not sure drinking beer while soldering a $200 board is the best advice for me. ;)

Tony from Marion, IA

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 04:32:44 PM »

Thanks, but I'm not sure drinking beer while soldering a $200 board is the best advice for me. ;)

Just following your lead, Tony. ;D

Beer and Soldering irons could be the new wave of "Lazy-Q".
Tony from NW Arkansas

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 05:34:48 PM »
I've moved the HeaterMeter build details over to this thread. Parts have been ordered so the ball is now rolling!

Tony from Marion, IA