Author Topic: new guy  (Read 1753 times)

Smoked_Up

new guy
« on: July 09, 2018, 11:22:30 PM »
I don't even know if I am doing this post right, but in case I am, I'm jack from De and I just got a used 3d for $300. its only a year old I just couldn't turn it down. so I drove 4 hours to pick her up on Sunday and I'm researching and getting ready to smoke up. all the info on here is incredible and I cant wait to learn and experiment. thanks. oh and I have absolutely no idea what I am doing, except for what I have read and learned on this forum.
Jack, from Delaware

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: new guy
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 12:01:11 AM »
Welcome Jack from SE Arizona. The model 3 smoker is a sweet unit. If you go to the main site and look at the section ‘for the customer you will ding a Lazy Q book that can get started. Also you will find the instructions for the digital model. Those readings and what you find on the forum will get you up and running in no time. Enjoy!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

TX Gent

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 06:13:10 AM »
Howdy Jack from DE and welcome to the forum!

The #3 is a great smoker and you'll be pleased with the results. Just absorb the wealth of info available on the site and start smoking.
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

Hank R

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 07:33:35 AM »
Welcome Jack from Western Canada. ;D
Smokin-It #1
Napoleon Prestige gas BBQ with Cast Iron Charcoal/Smoker Tray
 30 year old Big Chief smoker (unused for the last 25)
 Snow blower lover Toro 1128 HD,
 collector of Oilcans
Princeton BC Canada

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 07:28:38 PM »
That was an excellent price!  Welcome to the family...
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 08:38:36 PM »
Great deal!!!!!!!!!    Welcome to the forum…….  plenty of good folks and info on here
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

LuvMyQ

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 08:41:48 PM »
Welcome Jack.  IMO, you just invested the best 4 hours of your life.  I am only about 3 weeks into my 3D.  I used to be a charcoal smoker guy.  And I just made the best brisket i have ever made - only because of the excellent advice on this forum. 

You are already starting out good by posting here.  So my advice to you is first of all is to learn this forum.  On the main page, some topics that may be of interest to you are"
- The Model 3 and 3D
- Basics for a Beginner
- Recipes - pick your first meat and spend some time researching it on the forum to see the success techniques and even failures.

Also learn to use the search function at the top of the forum home page.  For example, type in "brisket" and you will get a filtered list of all posts mentioning brisket.

Here is a short list of things that are on here a few times (but are buried in the reading) that I found helpful.
1.  Buy some foil loaf pans to use as a water pan - placed up against the burner.
2.  Buy heavy duty foil.
3.  Line the bottom of the smoker with foil each time - and the lid on the firebox.
4.  Weigh your wood.  Yes, just do it.  You CAN use too much.  Having done charcoal smoking for years, I just could not wrap my arms around suing so little wood in this smoker.
5.  Keep your 3D covered out of the rain.
6.  Plan your first few smokes days in advance to allow time for prep, whether it is brining, marinating, or just letting a rub soak in.
7.  Pork butts and briskets take time.  And both have stall periods where the gelatin is melting and the temp of the meat will stay the same or even drop a little for a few hours.  Plan for it and don't panic.
8.  Log your smoke sessions.  Create your won format.  But this may be the most important thing you can do in order to mimic success, or not to repeat failures.  Consider documenting things like:

- What type of meat?
- What type of prep you did and for how long?
- What temp you set the smoker?
- How much wood and what type?
- What did the probes read at various time intervals?
- What were the end results?

Finally , figure out who your real friends are now.  You will likely find many more wanting invites for dinner.  Enjoy!
Terry from Indiana
3D WIFI
Weber Performer (Kettle in a cart with a gas igniter)Formerly owned WSM 18"
Never had a gas grill
I love technology
Counting the years to retirement

LuvMyQ

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 09:21:51 PM »
Welcome.  Another 3 weeker here.  And very happy.
Terry from Indiana
3D WIFI
Weber Performer (Kettle in a cart with a gas igniter)Formerly owned WSM 18"
Never had a gas grill
I love technology
Counting the years to retirement

Smoked_Up

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 11:29:07 PM »
Thanks for all the replies and advice. I look forward to my first smoke I’ll let you all know how it goes.
Jack, from Delaware

JustChillin

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 07:49:40 AM »
Welcome to the SI family! To add to Terry's post, when you foil the bottom make sure you punch a hole in the foil at the drain hole.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 08:23:49 AM »
Welcome Jack from another SI member from Delaware!   Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2