Poll

Did you visit the forum before making your purchase, and what impact did it have?

Yes.  Briefly visiited, but didn't stay long.
No.  I never visited the forum before purchasing.
I visited the forum after I made the decision to buy
Information on the forum directly influenced my decision to buy
I visited the forum before purchase, but it had no influence on my decision to buy
I didn't know about the forum prior to purchasing.

Author Topic: What influence did the Smokin-It forum have in your buying decision?  (Read 90380 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
The Smokin-It forum is fast becoming one of the best "manufacturer" forums on the web.  We're curious how it affected your decision to buy from Smokin-It, if any.  Thanks for taking the poll!

Edit:  I am not an employee of Smokin-It.  I'm just a raving owner, who happens to be the moderator on the forum.  This is for me.  I have a pretty strong background in sales and marketing (not my current career), and I like to analyze things like this.  Hopefully, this will help the company in the long run.  I just wanted to see if our great group of members is actually influencing folks in the market for a smoker - I know it did me!

Thanks again! 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 10:15:55 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: What influence did the Smokin-It forum have in your buying decision?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 03:35:32 PM »
At the time I made a purchase (SI3), there was no forum.  There were a few testimonials on the site, and the FAQs.  There were other bbq/smoking sites with forums, but little to nothing on the Smokin-it units. I joined all the forums I found (and I am banned for life on one of them), and realized early on that no matter the manufacturer or cost, these were good units with very few problems. Emails to Steve were answered promptly, and he even took the time to return a couple of phone calls, as did another well known site.

It came down to comparing size, features, warranty and price.  And in the end, the Smokin-it came out on top, in all categories. A real no-brainer.

And now there is the forum, and an entire cadre of enthusiastic users, spreading the word and sharing the experience.

To Steve and Rebecca, Ben and Tony, as well as every one else, Happy New Year.

Dave
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 03:42:50 PM »
Thanks for the history, Dave!  You're right; we're pretty new, compared to some others, but sure seem to be growing fast!  I was thinking about this last night, and thought I'd take a poll!  I seem to be seeing more intros from folks that say they watched us for awhile, and finally got one.

Here's to a great 2014!

Tony
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

sts3d

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 10:29:35 PM »
Even though I saw the SI at an outdoor show last March I found this forum when I was ready to buy. I lurked here a few times then pulled the trigger so to speak.
I'll even smoke the squeal.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 07:43:47 AM »
Like Dave,  the forum had not been created when I purchased the #2.    I pulled the trigger based on feedback that I saw from other sites.   I think the forum came around about a month after my purchase and has been a real help to me in finding new recipes and different ways to smoke meat.    The forum is clearly a great source of information.    Today, the forum is clearly a great resource for people that want to research the SI smokers and learn about the smokers from folks in the field that are using them successfully week after week!

Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

rickne

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 08:47:44 AM »
Tony, correct me if I'm wrong but this forum has really seen the momentum shift in the last 3-4 months, has it not?

I remember visiting the forum before I purchased in October.  But it didn't seem that active and honestly, it didn't sway my decision too much.  The couple of posts on the other bbq forums that praised the SI units had a much bigger impact on my decision.

Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 09:56:36 AM »
You're correct, Rick.  There's been a lot of growth, both in members and number of posts, since Sep/Oct.  That's why I'm asking the question.  Just curious, I guess, but it seems like more people are visiting before buying.
Tony from NW Arkansas

BIG BOB

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 01:11:36 PM »
the forum was HUGE in my decision to buy my #2. When you can converse with someone who has the same exact product, it simply brings the best out of us newbies. I really want to thank all who have helped me in previous cooks and I am sure I will be able to help others down the line. I got the #2 rib rack for Christmas and am looking forward to trying it out. i am banking on your guys advice to not foil ribs...LOL.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 07:43:11 PM »
That's great input, Bob - thanks!  Definitely let us know how the rib rack works out, and yes, stay away from the foil! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

jamiedolan

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 09:26:19 PM »
I first saw the Smokin-It listed on Amazon with very good reviews and then found the main site and this forum.  I saw how pleased everyone was with the unit and that helped a lot with the decision. 

The forum had a lot of posts that included pictures so you knew they were credible reviews from actual users of the product.

I decided on this product pretty quickly for how expensive it was, just a day or two after I found it.  It is actually pretty rare for me to purchase an appliance type of product (#3 smoker) without researching more in depth, but I was impressed with what I saw and the quick responses I got.

Jamie

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 10:20:25 AM »
I think you  made the right call Jamie!    I too relied on the amazon site and practically 100% positive reviews as I recall, which was not something that I had seen for other electric smokers.    The forum did not exist when I purchased my #2, so I am glad to know that it was helpful for you (and others) to see real life results!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

cjr71244

• New to Smoking, model 1 owner
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 10:37:08 AM »
I picked it via amazon ratings! glad I did been happy with my results so far.

Randy

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 07:59:45 PM »
Ive had my # 3 for about 4 months. Love will be glad to get pid in it, dont think im getting the temps im setting it at. But any way yes I was on the forum a lot. And there was a lot of other forums that were talking about the smokin it brand smokers. Dont take me long to look at a horse shoe. My buddy in Hamilton Mt is  ordering the smokin# 2.
If it walks, crawls, slizzers, or even grows from the grownd smoke it.

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 08:01:49 PM »
Thanks for the comments, Randy!  Hope to see you around often!
Tony from NW Arkansas

es1025

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 10:47:34 AM »
I started looking at this forum on last Super Bowl Sunday.  I was an avid fan of BBQ pitmasters and I thought I wanted to try my hand at smoking meats.  I read a lot about Bradley, Cookshack, etc and I just did not like the pucks with the Bradley and the cost of the cookshack.

I came across SI, I reviewed the web site and Steve was running a special.  I was not ready to pull the trigger but Steve said he would have some specials around Mother's day.  I joined the forum in April and started reading about which smoker I should get.  With the help of Joe and Sarge I was guided to get the SI#3.  I purchased in May (the specials was a cover, cord hook, and rib hooks).  I have not looked back since, and yes I would buy the #3 again in a heart beat. 

The forum is an excellent resource and I have made many friends even though we have never met. 

I really enjoy reading the posts and trying my best to perfect a recipe.

I recommend this forum to all smokers not just SI based upon the detailed procedures and awesome recipes. 

What has really impressed me is that Steve answers email within hours not days.  Thats Customer service.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?