Author Topic: temperature probe broken?  (Read 6729 times)

ccase39

temperature probe broken?
« on: November 20, 2016, 02:49:48 PM »
All of a sudden I will start getting wierd readings on my meat probe. I will put it in the meat and everything is fine and then all of a sudden it starts fluctuating greatly in temp. I mean like from 120 to 300 degrees. Sometimes it will just flash aH or whatever. Could this be a programming problem or simply a broken probe. Its only a month and a half old.

also I cannot find a replacement meat probe anywhere. I found the box probe on smokinit.com but thats it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 02:56:15 PM by ccase39 »
Chris

Covington Louisiana

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: temperature probe broken?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 01:17:02 PM »
I would try a reset of the unit. If that does not work give Steve a call and either he or Auber should be able to get you up and running.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 07:48:22 PM »
If a power reset doesn't do it, and make sure the probe/plug are clean, call Steve.  He'll send you a replacement (still under warranty).  Unfortunately, probes fail... that's why they only have a 90-day warranty.  They are very sensitive to abuse, like being submerged in water, or dropping onto the element.  Not saying that's what happened, just explaining the short warranty.  You'll get another one, no problem! 

If you need to smoke something by temp, just use an external thermometer, and set the controller to time, until you get your replacement.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

ccase39

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 05:37:44 PM »
How do I get in touch with Steve? By resetting do you mean auto tune? If not how do I reset?
Chris

Covington Louisiana

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 06:08:44 PM »
If you visit the main site, you will find contact information via phone or email.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 10:23:43 PM »
Chris, his phone # is on the door sticker on your smoker.  Text/call him at 260-417-9951, or email at smokin.it.info@gmail.com.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 04:00:39 PM »
Chris, this happens to me from time to time.  I even sent my Auber into be evaluated and nothing was found.  Plug & unplug probe, reset with on/off switch usually fixes it but sometimes not.  It is one reason that I'm happy that I don't have a D model and can use my analog side of the SI rather than ruin a smoke.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

ccase39

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 07:17:03 PM »
Chris, this happens to me from time to time.  I even sent my Auber into be evaluated and nothing was found.  Plug & unplug probe, reset with on/off switch usually fixes it but sometimes not.  It is one reason that I'm happy that I don't have a D model and can use my analog side of the SI rather than ruin a smoke.

So just turn the switch off and on to reset?
Chris

Covington Louisiana

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 05:19:10 PM »
I try reseating the probe plug and turning the unit on & off.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 08:12:00 PM »
Chris, if you use an external remote thermometer (always a good thing to own, even with a D model), like a Maverick, or simple single-probe from WalMart, you will not be unable to smoke.  Just set your box temp, and the trigger to time, then monitor the meat temp like you would with the analog controller models.
Tony from NW Arkansas

ccase39

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 09:01:05 PM »
I tried the reset with no luck. I have tried looking for a replacement probe online with no luck for the exact model. Do you have a link or a number I can call to buy a replacement?
Chris

Covington Louisiana

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 09:07:31 PM »
Chris, see my previous post with Steve's phone # and email.  Best to text or call him - he'll square you away.
Tony from NW Arkansas

pd444

• pd
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 06:32:33 PM »
My first probe stopped working all together. My second has the exact problem described here. I am finally getting around to this forum to find the problem and am disappointed to not find an answer. I've tried everything mentioned here to solve it. I have yet to be able to do a smoke more than a few hours before it starts fluctuating wildly. This kind of negates the money spent on the D since there's nothing I smoke that needs to have a temp change after a set time.
Hoping someone has an answer to those old problem.

pd smokin' it in FLA
SI 3D
BGE - Medium
Tec - Sterling II
Weber - Smokey Mountain 22"
tow-behind 500 gallon
old tractor tire rim and welded grill over a fire.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 08:23:04 PM »
pd - Guessing you are talking about the meat probe. There have been a couple of instances where the female connector/jack became loose and tightening  solved the problem. You may need to remove the controller carefully to do this.  The wires in the male plug could be loose and need soldering. The probes are very sensitive to moisture.  If in washing the metal probe, you wipe down the cable and some water enters the probe where the wire connects, that also could be the culprit.  You have a 3 year warranty on the smoker and assuming you got it in 2016, you still have a year.  The controller however is covered only by a one year warranty.  You can purchase a new probe from Steve.  For the same price, you can upgrade to the newer probe, which I have done. Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:25:10 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 02:38:01 PM »
My first probe stopped working all together. My second has the exact problem described here. I am finally getting around to this forum to find the problem and am disappointed to not find an answer. I've tried everything mentioned here to solve it. I have yet to be able to do a smoke more than a few hours before it starts fluctuating wildly. This kind of negates the money spent on the D since there's nothing I smoke that needs to have a temp change after a set time.
Hoping someone has an answer to those old problem.

Hi PD...  I understand your frustration, but it is not that common, hence not finding an answer.  The fact is probes fail.  But, depending on how they are treated, it may not be often, or may be frequent...that's why there is a 90-day warranty on the probes.  If you get moisture in them, they will fail.  If you get them too close to the heating element (outside the meat), they will fail.  I have a 2D and a 3D.  I use them quite frequently, and have had exactly one probe fail in the past 4 years. 

Have you called or texted Steve?  He is a really good guy, and the last thing he wants is a frustrated customer!  He will get some more info from you, and will do what he can to make it right with you.  So, rather than be frustrated that there isn't an answer to your problem here, call Steve and get a resolution to your problem.  The D models are hugely successful, and just don't have many problems.  But, nothing is perfect 100% of the time.
Tony from NW Arkansas