Author Topic: Smoker Essentials: Maverick ET732 Wireless Dual Probe Thermometer  (Read 20702 times)

trevorgrout

• Trevor from NWA
Re: Smoker Essentials: Maverick ET732 Wireless Dual Probe Thermometer
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 10:05:28 PM »
I know I am reviving an old thread, but I would like to know why it is important to have two probes with a smokin-it.  I understand putting one in the meat, however, why have an extra temperature probe for the smoker?  Doesn't the smoker already have a thermometer?  I understand the maverick may be more accurate, but what is gained by having the extra thermometer placed in the smoker?

the reason I ask is because I found a cheap thermometer/probe by thermoworks http://www.amazon.com/ThermoWorks-Professional-Probe-Thermometer-Pro-Series/dp/B00OD3FLBI

I like the very simple interface it provides and it is a little cheaper than the Maverick.  However, if having the extra probe of the maverick is justified, then I won't have a problem buying it.

Ok, so if I don't get any responses, then I will post this as a new thread.  I still haven't made a purchase yet. I am on the fence of a #1 or #2, however, with the recent price increase of the #2, I am rethinking getting the number 1.  But regardless any input on the maverick would be great.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 10:34:26 PM »
your fine with just one. Trust the smoker to do its job. Additionally if you monitor the box temp you will drive yourself nuts with the swings. It is better not to watch it.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2015, 01:18:59 PM »
Brian's right - one is fine.  The nice thing about having 2 probes, though, is you can buy an extra meat probe and be able to probe 2 pieces of meat! I think I used my box temp probe once, and that was enough.  One more thought - the #2 is definitely worth the extra $30 over the #1 - you won't regret spending the cost of one pack of ribs for a lot more Q real estate!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2015, 06:19:07 PM »
Still wished I would have ordered the #2 or Steve would have been a little slower in shipping out my #1. As others have said you can always smoke less meat in a large smoker but if you need more room in a smaller smoker you are out of luck my friend. As my story goes after sleeping on my decision for  the number 1 the next morning called Steve and he said my order was already out the door. But, #1 works really well and should suit my purpose fine.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2015, 07:31:48 PM »
Still wished I would have ordered the #2 or Steve would have been a little slower in shipping out my #1. As others have said you can always smoke less meat in a large smoker but if you need more room in a smaller smoker you are out of luck my friend. As my story goes after sleeping on my decision for  the number 1 the next morning called Steve and he said my order was already out the door. But, #1 works really well and should suit my purpose fine.

Went through the same emotion, Bill, and still made a lot of great Q in the #1!  I do like the #2 - you can someday sell your #1 and upgrade! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

elkins20

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2015, 02:21:36 AM »
Thank-you for the encouragement Tony. But, after doing the chuck roast today was really impressed with The Little guy. I think my next adventure will be making some smoked almonds. Also am think about next weekend doing the Boston pork roast. As I have quite a bit of the chuck roast to eat. I am thinking about putting some in bags to freeze.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2015, 07:36:24 PM »
Sounds like you and the Little Guy are friends, Bill!  Do me a favor, though - you can't call a Boston butt a "Boston pork roast."  ;)   "Boston butt" is the actual cut of meat (the upper shoulder of the front leg).  No worries - just trying to help you learn the lingo for the butcher!
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2015, 10:46:02 PM »
Hey Tony, Will do, also have you ever smoked almonds? Suzie-Q here has done them. But, can't find any info as to the temp. and if you need to use raw almonds rather than ones that have been roasted. Yes me and the little guy are friends.
Thanks for the help and advice,

DivotMaker

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2015, 09:35:44 PM »
No almonds for me, Bill (yet).  Not sure why I haven't smoked nuts...hmm...  I guess so much meat, and so little time! ???
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2015, 09:41:40 AM »
Hey Tony was really counting on you for some help. I have found some sellers on e-bay with decent prices on raw almonds with free shipping. Last night at Wal-Mart on an ice cream run I seen a 1lb package of almonds for $10. which is a bit high. And they were little bitty besides. 

DivotMaker

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2015, 09:50:14 PM »
Bill - start a new thread under "Everything Else," and ask the question!  I bet you'll get lots of feedback, if nuts is a standalone thread!  Title it "Smoked Almond Ideas," or something like that.
Tony from NW Arkansas

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2019, 11:07:05 PM »
Welcome to the forum from SE Arizona. If you have the time, head to the Introduction section and let us know a little about yourself.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Moto316

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2020, 09:13:08 PM »
This is a very old thread I'm reviving.  Is the Maverick still the best meat thermometer?  In this price range, Amazon lists the Thermopro TP20 as their best selling.  Is there a better place than Amazon to buy stuff?  Thanks

mike1910

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2020, 09:14:33 AM »
Moto- I have the Thermoworks and have been very happy with it. I also have a Thermapen to go along with it. It’s an instant read that comes in handy.  If the few extra dollars is in the budget I would consider getting both. I know others that have the Maverick and they too have had good experiences with that unit. If I recall i bought mine off Amazon, however I believe I may have gotten a special offer on the Thermapen through smoking meat forums or some other site.
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2020, 12:47:09 PM »
I like the Thermoworks Smoke the best, but it is pricy.
Second best, I like the Inkbird IBT-4X or IBT-6X if you have a smartphone. These are bluetooth, have 4 and 6 probes, and will let you do some graphing. Setting alarms is super easy.
The maverick was good but setting alarms was a pain, I had to get the owners manual out every time I wanted to make a change.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA