Author Topic: Newbie Question - Ribs  (Read 2093 times)

Retriever

Newbie Question - Ribs
« on: March 30, 2020, 07:42:51 PM »
Good evening! 

Received my #2 digital last week and absolutely love the quality of the unit!  I am an old school offset stick burner looking for a few tips on ribs.  I have done four smokes to date, all baby back ribs to get used to the smoker.  One of the four came out ok, the other three, the ribs were dry and not that tender.  I have varied cooking times, added water on the smoker floor and have wrapped as well.  The smokes I left the ribs uncovered, they got pretty dry.

Have spent a lot of timing reading the forum.  Would love for a tried an true approach from those of you that have more experience.  Planning on doing St. Louis Style ribs tomorrow.  They are seasoned and in the fridge.

Many thanks in advance!
Kevin - Galveston, TX
#2D
Pitts by JJ Stick Burner
Weber gas and kettle

Lonzinomaker

Re: Newbie Question - Ribs
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 08:24:53 PM »
I don't wrap, put water in smoker or anything.  Just season ribs with Memphis Dust rub and light salt the night before. Pull from frig and let ribs come to room temp. Put in smoker at 220-225. Add 3-4 oz apple or cherry chunks. Close the door and open at 4.5 hours to check progress and usually pull at 5.25 hr.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

barelfly

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 10:07:48 PM »
Like Dave, I rarely add liquid in to the smoker these days. In the past, I would smoke everything at 225*, and baby backs would go almost 5-6 hours, but I’ve bumped the temps up on my cooking as of late with great results. Saturday, I went with 250* and the baby backs were out and wrapped in foil right at 5 hours. I probably could have pulled them a little sooner as well.

What temp have you been smoking on the four cooks? With one of the cooks turning out good, it could also be the ribs? Sometimes meat just acts differently even with the same cook process.

Hope you enjoy those STL ribs!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

tomd8

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 07:26:25 AM »
Similar to the others above, no wrap, no liquid, set smoker to 230deg (approx) and cook 5-6 hrs.  I like FOTB tender so I go internal temp to 202-203.  I suspect many would go 195 IT.
Tom from New York
SmokinIt #3 analog, Masterbuilt analog, Little Chief

mike1910

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 09:05:55 AM »
I’m like the others. I no longer wrap now that I have the SI. I’ve done both ways and I found the extra hassle of wrapping wasn’t worth it. Also, no opening the door. Keep that baby shut and let it do it’s magic. Also, my baby backs generally need to go 6-6.5 hours which is longer than most. If I had to guess yours maybe needed to go a little longer? When I first started doing baby backs I had a similar problem as you and I would pull them around 5.5 hours and they were a little tough still. I was doing that because I was telling myself ‘surely’ they have to be done! I started letting them go longer and they turned out much, much better ever since. Trial and error is always a little annoying but I would let them go a little longer and see what kind of results you get. Just my 2 cents! Best of luck!
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

Retriever

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 09:46:04 AM »
Thanks a ton for the quick replies!  Based on the responses I will go at 225 and check for the first time at 5.5  hours for SLSR today.  Does that sound right or should I wait until 6 hours?

A few thoughts based on the posts above.  All of the ribs for the first four smokes were bought at the same place at the same time  with the exception of one rack.................based on the thought that it could be the meat, the one rack that was good was the one purchased separately.  May have been an issue with the meat.  Other than that, have been going between 4 to 5 hours at 225 on the smokes.

Will report back after the smoke this evening.

Thanks again for all of your help!
Kevin - Galveston, TX
#2D
Pitts by JJ Stick Burner
Weber gas and kettle

tomd8

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 04:20:06 PM »
Retriever - I should have clarified in my response above that I was referring to St. Louis Ribs not Baby Backs.
Tom from New York
SmokinIt #3 analog, Masterbuilt analog, Little Chief

Retriever

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 08:04:27 PM »
Thanks again for the input guys! 

Reporting back.................did two racks of SLS both cut in half, 5.5 hours at 225, brushed  with raspberry chipolte jelly and put back in for 30 minutes.  One rack was awesome, super tender and moist 9.5/10 the other rack was not as tender and juicy but still good, 8/10.  I think the two halves that were on the lower rack benefited from the juices dripping on them throughout the cook or one rack was just better.  Not sure.

Bottom line, huge improvement and excited about the next round.

Thanks again!
Kevin - Galveston, TX
#2D
Pitts by JJ Stick Burner
Weber gas and kettle

mike1910

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 09:22:27 PM »
Glad to hear the ribs were a success!
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 11:31:40 PM »
I smoke ribs naked.  The ribs that is ;D
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 09:51:07 AM »
225 and check for the first time at 5.5  hours

As long as you are happy with what you are getting but 5.5 is a long run. I do ribs and chicken at 250, chicken is done after three hours. Ribs are done at four hours. On the rare occasion the ribs need a bit more time it is only 30-40 minutes.

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

barelfly

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 10:12:18 AM »
Glad to hear the ribs turned out this go! Always good to hear!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear