Author Topic: Newbie #1  (Read 9515 times)

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Newbie #1
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 07:51:54 PM »
I have been doing the foil method for months now, and I get plenty of smoke.  I think the ramp up method works as well, but if the wood is really dry, then I think combustion is going to happen, foil or not.  For the smokes that I have done so far this week (ribs, BB, turkey breast), the foil method has worked well, but I may try the ramp up method again.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

ken386

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2014, 08:32:27 PM »
How does the ramp up method prevent combustion?  Not looking for a scientific explanation, but going to try another tri tip tomorrow and want to understand the pros and cons of both methods.  Thx.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2014, 09:05:37 PM »
Ken,

I never experienced combustion in my #1.  But, when I started using the #2, I had the infamous "belch!"  Even using good-quality wood, I would get combustion.  So, to counter this, I started promoting the "ramp up" method, but have since gone to a little piece of foil on the bottom of the wood as a much easier solution.  The slow ramp-up method was a solution to a problem (I was determined to counter the "belch"), but it wasn't the best solution, in my opinion.

Here's what I was thinking:  By ramping the temp up slowly, you allow the wood to start to smolder, and then "relax," or cool a bit, before blasting it with the element again.  Going straight to 225, with the bigger element of the #2, I would almost always have wood combust.  So, the "ramp up" method was born.  During winter months, this worked well, because it seems to take about 75° of temp rise (from ambient) to start getting smoke.  Once the weather warmed up, and the smoker started at a higher ambient temp, it didn't work as well.  Taking the smoker to 140, when it started at 70+, wouldn't get the wood smoking soon enough for me.  Que the foil...

I tried the little piece of foil on the bottom of the chunks in hot weather, cranked that baby up to cooking temp (225), and let 'er rip!  No bad smoke, no belch, just thin blue smoke! 

Bottom line - some folks don't ever encounter this phenomenon, but I do, so I found one solution, and copied another.  To me, ramping up the temp is time-consuming, and prolongs the smoke.  The foil works well, and that's all I do now.

Hope this helps clear it up!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2014, 09:16:46 PM »
I think Tony is right in that the larger elements in the #2, #3, #4 smokers is what generally cause the problem.

The foil method definitely works as long as you aren't doing low temp smokes. I tried smoking jerky at 125 one time with some foiled chips and even they didn't start smoking until I gave the heat a bump.

I think the reason that the ramp up method works is that you aren't going full blast at the wood for that long at a time. About the time the wood would get close to combustion, the analog controller cycles off and kills the heat. This breather from the heat allows the wood to cool off a bit and smolder before it gets hit with full throttle again.

I think the amount of time this adds to the smoke is relatively low. Plus it gives you a little longer time in that pre-140 internal temp range where the meat can absorb the smoke. But to each his own on this.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2014, 09:25:11 PM »
Good point, Gregg!  The foil is definitely not needed for low or intermittent smokes, just for the full-blast runs up to 225+.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Walt

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2014, 11:01:59 PM »
on some units. not all.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

ken386

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2014, 08:46:19 AM »
Thank you guys - really appreciate all the input.  I'll post how my second attempt goes.  Fingers crossed!

ken386

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2014, 10:33:23 PM »
OK, I think we made progress this evening - it was decent and edible, but still too much smoke flavor.  Here's what I did:

1) Used 2.5 oz of oak with foil underneath to prevent combustion
2) Set smoke to 200 and it took about 1 hour 45 min for the meat to reach 140
3) Let it rest for 15 min while oven came up to 500
4) Did reverse sear for 5 min

I think next time I will take the wood all the way down to 1.5 oz.  I think the smoke flavor should be in the background and not overpower the seasoning and taste of the meat.  I discovered that my family likes a very light smoke and I think I have to agree with them.  Other than the amount of smoke, I think this was okay for a 2nd attempt.  Meat was done to perfection - just need to work on the taste.  Feedback welcomed.

DivotMaker

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2014, 11:15:15 PM »
Now THAT tri-tip looks downright tasty, Ken!  Hard to believe 2.5 oz. of wood was too much - you guys sure you like BBQ? ;)   No worries - everyone has their own "taste" for smoked meat!  If you back it off, and like the results, all good! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas

ken386

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2015, 01:13:48 PM »
I just think that these smokers are so darn efficient that you need a lot less wood than you normally use.  The meat was cooked to perfection, but it still had a somewhat bitter aftertaste that I suspect is due to over smoking.  If there is something these that I should try then I'm open to suggestions.  Still not perfected, but will keep trying until I get it right.

Walt

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2015, 03:47:18 PM »
Try a different wood.  Maybe something mild like peach.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2015, 04:47:07 PM »
Try a different wood.  Maybe something mild like peach.

I think this is a great suggestion. Hickory, Mesquite, and Oak are pretty strong flavored woods. A lighter profiled wood would like Peach, Pecan, or even Apple might just be the ticket for you.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

ken386

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2015, 12:05:01 AM »
OK, so I figured I would try a brisket flat that I picked up at Costco.  I injected it with beef broth the night before and put some Oklahoma Joe's rub on it.  It was only 2.7 lbs so I cooked it at 225 for almost 6 hours until it got to 192.  Took it out and wrapped it up in 2 layers of foil, put it in a cooler and let it set for 90 min or so.  I went very light on the wood (only 1.5 oz of peach) and my family liked the flavor this time.  The brisket was soft, but I would not call it tender or moist - more work to do.  I'll probably take the left-overs and put them in the crock with some bbq sauce and make brisket sandwiches tomorrow.  Still think this is more of an art than a science and I'll keep learning.

cookingdude555

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2015, 11:28:08 AM »
I believe tri tips are a grilling thing in my opinion. I cook dozens of these every year and they are fantastic. I just don't think the lean meat holds up to a low and slow cook. A recent cook on Christmas for family, using a kettle for a reverse sear:

John - Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2015, 07:35:41 PM »
While I agree, John, that tri-tips are great on the grill, Ken's 2nd-effort picture above looks pretty darn tasty!  Looks like it held up quite well. ;)   I'd have hit it with 3 oz of oak, but that's just my taste!
Tony from NW Arkansas