Author Topic: SI #2 vs Pellet vs Charcoal  (Read 6530 times)

yiplong

Re: SI #2 vs Pellet vs Charcoal
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2019, 08:03:43 PM »
SI smokers produce smoke. Depending upon location relative to wind and windows it can be smelled.

I don't think it would produce more smoke than let say a smoke box on a gas grill.  People use that all the time.  Unless grilling outdoors is illegal, the neighbor's complaint is probably baseless.   

bogeyjim

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2019, 08:07:54 PM »
I also live in a condo complex, and my only option is to hook up out front of my unit (all units are single level).  I'm an end unit in a four unit building.  I am thinking of getting a small computer fan and setting it on top of the smoker to draw the smoke away from my neighbor.  Hoping this does the trick.  I ordered my #2 today and it delivers Monday.  Now is the time to seize the moment, as the #2's have been on a 10% reduction on cost.  Anxious newbie ready to get going.  Good luck with whatever you decide on.
Jim in The Granite State

yiplong

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2019, 10:49:18 PM »
I also live in a condo complex, and my only option is to hook up out front of my unit (all units are single level).  I'm an end unit in a four unit building.  I am thinking of getting a small computer fan and setting it on top of the smoker to draw the smoke away from my neighbor.  Hoping this does the trick.  I ordered my #2 today and it delivers Monday.  Now is the time to seize the moment, as the #2's have been on a 10% reduction on cost.  Anxious newbie ready to get going.  Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Our buildings have 6 units in a row.  I'm in the middle, but I can set up the smoker on the back, which faces a natural area.  I may keep the smoker inside and only roll it out to the patio when I'm actually smoking.  This should keep it nice and shinny for a long time, and also not advertise it to the world.  I also saw the sales going on at Smokin It.  Good luck with your #2 and please share your enjoy here once you get it. 

jess002

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2019, 03:52:34 AM »
I cook on a Weber kettle and a WSM, but the new townhouse complex I'm moving into doesn't allow charcoal so I will need to get new grill and smokers.  I'm considering two options:
(1) get a pellet grill that can do both direct and indirect cooking
(2) get a gas grill like Weber Spirit, plus an electric smoker.  I'm eyeing the SI #2. 

I cook for a family of 5.  I go for either quick steak/burger on the grill, or on the smoker: brisket, port butt and ribs.  Generally I don't cook chicken.  I'm very happy with the results from my charcoal smoker, but do wish for a bit more set it and forget it convenience. 

I don't care about smoke rings but I do care about taste, flavor, and texture.  If anyone has experience cooking on SI and either pellet or charcoal smokers, please share your thoughts.  I'd like to hear your comparison of the taste, flavor and texture you get out of SI vs pellet/charcoal smokers, and also your experience of using these different fuel types.

I think propane gas grill is the best option.

joeman

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2019, 01:02:48 AM »
I cook on a Weber kettle and a WSM, but the new townhouse complex I'm moving into doesn't allow charcoal so I will need to get new grill and smokers.  I'm considering two options:
(1) get a pellet grill that can do both direct and indirect cooking
(2) get a gas grill like Weber Spirit, plus an electric smoker.  I'm eyeing the SI #2. 

I cook for a family of 5.  I go for either quick steak/burger on the grill, or on the smoker: brisket, port butt and ribs.  Generally I don't cook chicken.  I'm very happy with the results from my charcoal smoker, but do wish for a bit more set it and forget it convenience. 

I don't care about smoke rings but I do care about taste, flavor, and texture.  If anyone has experience cooking on SI and either pellet or charcoal smokers, please share your thoughts.  I'd like to hear your comparison of the taste, flavor and texture you get out of SI vs pellet/charcoal smokers, and also your experience of using these different fuel types.

Just passing by, but as I was in a similar situation - decided to add my two cents.
1 - Pellet grill? You could just say the wood pellets are just heated up by the heating element. We all know that is not true, but they may never know.
2 - About this setup, I believe electric smokers give off a cleaner heat, with no possible off flavors from gas scent detection chemicals. They also allow for a closed chamber, where gas cookers require a lot of ventilation, making it hard to control the flow of air and smoke over the meat. Not the best solution I believe.

Personally, I'd go with SI #2. I have an electric smoker, and I really like it, especially for long cooks like a brisket. It is so easy to smoke - it feels like I am cheating. Also probe thermometer tells you when done, so you can program to the degree.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2019, 07:55:14 PM »
Welcome joeman from SE Arizona.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

joeman

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2019, 05:35:18 AM »
Welcome joeman from SE Arizona.

Thanks for the warm welcoming, old sarge!