Author Topic: Getting ready to buy a smoker  (Read 6997 times)

02ebz06

Getting ready to buy a smoker
« on: March 21, 2013, 10:19:35 AM »
I am looking at buying a smoker and seriously considering a #3, but have a couple questions.
Purpose would be for cold smoking cheese, jerky, sausage, etc.
I use a pellet grill for higher temp smokes (briskets, ribs, pulled pork.) Lowest temp on it is 180.

1) Are there distributors or do I have to purchase directly from Smokin-It?
2) Is it just me, or does $130 seem like a lot to ship one to Texas?
    By the time you add a couple accessories, your at $700-$800!!!

TIA

Rob Babcock

Re: Getting ready to buy a smoker
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 03:15:02 AM »
It may seem like a lot but I had to ship a very heavy piece of gear that weighed the same as the #3 and it cost me $175, so I don't think they're gouging beyond the actual cost.  Yeah, it's a lot of money but the #3 is considerably cheaper than a comparable Smokin' Tex or Cookshack smoker.

I've had my Smokin-It #3 for about six months and it's been awesome.  I too have a Traeger that I like to use for chicken, plus it's smaller than the #3 so I take it to the park sometimes.   If you go with the Smokin-It I doubt you'll be disappointed!

02ebz06

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 10:31:47 AM »
Thanks for the reply Rob.

The hard part will getting the better half convinced we need to spend $800 so we can smoke cheese.
I can hear the response now. "You can buy a lot of smoked cheese in the store for that".   ::)

Rob Babcock

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 03:47:44 AM »
It's awesome for lots more than cheese! ;D  It's a lot cheaper to run that a pellet grill, for starters.  My Traeger goes thru about 1.5 lbs per hour or more on high heat, which can add up quickly for long smokes.  The #3 keeps thing moister, too.

Yeah, it's not cheap but it's a well made product that should last many years.  The only things that can go wrong are the element and the 'stat, and they're each only about $25 apiece.

mikeinctown

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 03:55:49 PM »
The shipping charges do seem high, but you will realize why the cost when you go to lift the thing. The steel in the unit really does weigh a lot. It is built to last! My model #2 was pretty heavy for one person. I can only imagine the weight of a #3.

I also agree with the total cost compared to others. the other stainless units outthere are significantly more expensive and they don't appear to offer that much more in terms of benefit. I went with the #2 over the masterbuilt unit from Amazon because of the firebox and non seal door. the Smokin it model is simple, durable, and works well.

es1025

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 11:17:57 AM »
If you order the #3 now, you get some extras (cover and rib hooks).  The shipping cost is a lot $119 vs $38, but you are getting a higher wattage heating element (1200 vs. 700). I faced the same decision a month ago and finally pulled the trigger on the #3. 
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?