Author Topic: Chicken Wings  (Read 10227 times)

Desjeany

Chicken Wings
« on: March 20, 2013, 11:33:46 AM »
Anyone ever smoke chicken wings? What temp and for how long should I go? Can't use a temp probe for this one. Any suggestions?  ???

grizzog

Re: Chicken Wings
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 02:14:54 PM »
Just got my Model #1 today and it's almost done seasoning.  I'll be doing some chicken wings tonight and let you know the results!

Desjeany

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 11:16:59 PM »
I did a rub and went with 220 for about 2 hrs.  Came out very tasty.  Good luck with your first smoke with your #1.  Let me know how it goes.

grizzog

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 03:15:20 PM »
So I tried to run it at 250, and used 2 pieces of the sample hickory.  Lesson learned, waaaay too much smoke and horrible wings.   

Smoked a rack of ribs and some sausage the next day with less than half the amount of wood and used applewood at 225.  Came out smoky and delicious.

Rob Babcock

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 04:29:10 PM »
Chicken soaks up smoke like  sponge! :o  I use about half the wood for chicken as I do for pork or beef.

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 12:17:06 AM »
One piece of hickory will do you quite nicely.  I made spicy rubbed chicken wings with a drizzle of Sriracha and honey smoked at 250 for 2.25 hours.  To crisp up the skin a bit, I put them in a 400 degree preheated oven for just under 10 minutes ... and they were awesome.  Really juicy even without a brine or a marinade.

My two cents:  a brief trip to the grill or broiler is definitely not cheating ...
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

kujobie

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 08:32:05 PM »
Smokey Bones (chain restaurant) serves smoked wings and I love them.  Will definitely be smoking some wings when my Model #2 arrives this week.  And I agree that finishing in an oven or grill is not cheating..  That goes for anything..

kymonopoly

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 11:13:06 PM »
Waiting on my smoker but a stupid question:

How do you arrange the wings?  Just lay them on a rack?  On top of something else?  Thanks Everyone
Jonathan but go by J.
Model #2 as of Christmas 2019 thanks to Wife, Daughter, Parents, Sister and Brother-in-Law

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 11:29:36 PM »
Right on the rack works just fine ... they will render some fat so be sure to foil the bottom of the smoker and wood box.  And you can run multiple racks simultaneously, obviously.

I never put more than three in a row to allow plenty of room for the smoke to flow around the wings.  I also prefer to put whole wings in rather than cutting them down to drumettes and wingettes; by tucking the wing behind the drum it cooks very evenly and remains very juicy inside (especially after a brine or marinade).
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!