Author Topic: We like BBQ. We like fishing. What about guns?  (Read 66426 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: We like BBQ. We like fishing. What about guns?
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2015, 08:24:58 PM »
There is also the 'possibility' (wives tale?) that keeping the magazine fully loaded causes the spring to set over time.  Dumping rounds and loading a different magazine prevents this (again the wives tale).  Read this in Guns and Ammo in the 80's or 90's. Any opinions?

I've never had a problem with spring "set" or weakening - old wive's tale, imo.  It may have been true many, many years ago, when technology wasn't as good for spring manufacturing, but quality springs today don't set.

By the way, Bill - your rounds go into magazines, not "clips."  Totally different animal.  The "anti-gun" crowd loves to call them clips.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2015, 08:37:59 PM »
The permanently loaded magazine on my Colt 1911 contains 5 rounds.  When shooting I load 7 but at home for night time insurance only 5.  No set yet.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2015, 11:00:41 PM »
I keep 5 in mine also, figure if they get past 5 rounds nothing is going to put them down. Just used to calling them clips rather than magazine as sometimes actually most of the time my spelling is not what it used to be. Apparently the Ginkgo biloba is not working. lol
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

RG

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2015, 03:22:58 PM »
Well guys, that "free gun" that I got last week has gotten expensive. Since getting that gun I have bought :

QTY      -        Item
1 - Beretta Nano 9mm Pistol (Pink for my wife)
1 - Nano 8 round 9mm Magazine
4 - Nano Mag Grip Extension for 6 round mags
2 - Nano 6round 9mm Magazine
2 - LaserMax CenterFire Laser Sight
1 - Snap Cap (set of 5)
1 - Pink Ear Muffs/Safety Glass Combo
1 - Black Ear Muffs/Safety Glass Combo
1 - IWB Holster for my gun
1 - Range Bag
1 - Gun Cleaning Kit
1 - 100 Round Box of Winchester 9mm 115 grain ammo

Her gun came with both an 8 round mag and a 6 round mag so I ordered an 8 round for mine. Now we have two 8 round and four 6 round to share. Since I like the grip extender that I bought for my gun, I ordered 3 more to go on the other 6 rounders. Also, since I bought me a laser sight, I got her one to boot, lol. Do you see where this is going? I am done with the gun spending for now, my bank account is being depleted quickly! I still haven't gotten my carry permit, nor has she! That's going to be about $77.00/each. Oh well, it's done.

Happy shooting!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 04:43:33 PM by RG »

DivotMaker

« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2015, 07:07:16 PM »
And so it begins, Jason... LOL!!  Definitely worse things you could spend money on! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

RG

« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2015, 11:35:34 PM »
And so it begins, Jason... LOL!!  Definitely worse things you could spend money on! ;)

Yeah, like paying bills :P

mizzoufan

« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2015, 11:16:32 AM »
Definitely expensive, especially for the first ones.  Just to add to that, do you have a gun safe?  If you're staying with the pistols, you can get smaller ones to bolt down somewhere just to keep them safe when you're not around and can't carry them (that's work for me).  If you're even thinking about any type of carbine/rifle then you might as well go straight for the full size gun safe.

I didn't have one for a while, but that wasn't very smart.  No safe is fully theft proof, but it at least keeps the unprepared out and provides CYA should they be stolen and used in a crime.
Steven from KCMO

RG

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2015, 01:40:32 PM »
I don't have a gun safe. I haven't thought about it really as there is ALWAYS somebody at home. I keep mine with me around the house, leave it when I go to work, until I get my permit that is.

DivotMaker

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2015, 08:58:39 PM »
Scored a SWEET tac rifle case for the new AR, for Father's Day!  Drago gear - couldn't be more pleased with the quality.  Customized with an old flight suit name patch, from the USAF days!
Tony from NW Arkansas

RG

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2015, 09:43:07 PM »
That looks SWEET my man! I have been looking into AR-15s. there seems to be like 5,000 different ways to mod those things! What's a good base model go for? I have not really looked too hard, I think I saw ranges from $500.00 - $1500.00. Big gap!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2015, 10:39:18 PM »
The permanently loaded magazine on my Colt 1911 contains 5 rounds.  When shooting I load 7 but at home for night time insurance only 5.  No set yet.

There were several comments regarding spring "set" or wear or loss of tension. It is an actual thing but it takes years for it to occur. The solution is not to down load your magazines but to buy quality magazines.

My H&K P7M13 mags were fully loaded and carried daily from date of manufacture in the mid 80's until I retired from the Sheriff's department in 2013. Those mags still function like new. In my 1911's we run http://www.midwayusa.com/product/123099/wilson-combat-magazine-with-extended-base-pad-1911-government-commander-45-acp-8-round-stainless-steel Wilson 8 Round mags. Yes they cost $32 each but it is a life saving tool. There is no reason to down load your weapons if you are operating quality equipment.

If you are seriously concerned with inferior heat treatment and production, you should rock a wheel gun. At least then you will have six shots.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2015, 10:46:35 PM »
Jason,

If you want to take a leap into the rifle world (AR-15), look for a used rifle.  Unless you really know what you want/need, you have to start with the basics.  I recommend a Bushmaster, or Colt, "patrol carbine."  This is typically a short-barrel model (16") with a collapsible stock.  Just get one with a carry handle and iron (peep) sights, and learn how to shoot it.  Good instruction cannot be stressed enough.  When you get proficient with good old iron sights, you can move on to more complex optics, like red-dot sights.  I know this may seem a little "Greek" to you, right now, but a little research will educate you quickly.

One of the biggest mistakes novice AR owners/shooters make is to get caught up in the whole "what all can I hang on my AR to make it look cool, like the movies?" trap.  I've shot many thousands of rounds through AR-15s and M-16s with nothing more than iron peep sights, and they get the job done quite well!  No amount of modern technology can replace learning basic shooting fundamentals and practice.  The AR-15 is a really fun rifle to shoot; you can shoot it all day, and not have a sore shoulder!  Very little recoil, but very powerful still.  I taught a patrol rifle course for years, and carried one daily.  It's a very capable rifle, and learning it properly is a lot of fun!  Keep it simple, and you can find one pretty cheap.
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2015, 10:52:16 PM »
My H&K P7M13 mags were fully loaded and carried daily from date of manufacture in the mid 80's until I retired from the Sheriff's department in 2013.

If you are seriously concerned with inferior heat treatment and production, you should rock a wheel gun. At least then you will have six shots.

Whole new respect for you, brother!  Didn't know you were a retired gun and badge man!  Also, +1 on the wheel gun comment!  Still love the wheel guns!  LE family here - Dad was retired LA Sheriff, brother a career cop in the USAF and Colorado AG office, and me a former city cop.  Thank you for your years of service, Brian!
Tony from NW Arkansas

mizzoufan

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2015, 08:48:55 AM »
Oh my...somebody started the AR discussion.  To put that in some perspective, you know how many ways people on here cook briskets and how...adamant...some are about their way of doing so?  Multiply by 100 or so and you have the number of common arguments for the best basic AR build.  I'm not even talking tactical gear and such on them.  For instance, I don't like the M-16 style carry handle and instead prefer a flat top and basic optics (quality glass but without the bells and whistles, just a set 4x) with backup iron sights.  But yeah, might as well ask 100 people from 50 different countries what the best food item in the world is.

What you will mostly get agreement on is the brands to buy and/or avoid with some in the middle that you'll hear both ways.  I've heard some denigration of my CMMG, but got it on the recommendation of a former military member who has put thousands of rounds through his.  Your standards such as colt, rock river and bushmaster will cost a bit more, but they're very well proven as well.
Steven from KCMO

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2015, 09:22:15 AM »
All of my time was not with the Sheriff's dept. I was state and private corrections combined with eight years at the SD. that gun was in service many years before I got it. But thanks for the comments.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud