Author Topic: We like BBQ. We like fishing. What about guns?  (Read 66037 times)

Limey

Re: We like BBQ. We like fishing. What about guns?
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2015, 06:16:18 PM »
One of the great things about laser sights is that they can teach you intuitive pointing skills. With an unloaded gun, not looking at the sights and maybe even holding the gun off to your side, point it at an object and then press the laser activation button to see how accurate you were. This may save your life in a combat situation, shooting round a wall for example. Most of my handguns have lasers on them. BTW I'm a life member of the NRA and strongly believe in supporting them. I have seen first hand the "salami principle" of gun control in the UK. First handguns were tightly legislated and then subsequently totally banned. Then shotguns were tightly controlled and then essentially banned. Now all you can get in the UK is a pellet gun. Let's work hard to preserve our 2nd Amendment rights. Sorry, didn't mean to get political but RG is a bit of a rabble rouser (briskets AND guns)!!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 06:18:16 PM by Limey »
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

RG

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2015, 07:16:47 PM »
Uh oh! You said brisket!  Lol

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2015, 07:33:22 PM »
Sounds like you're on the right track, Jason, and also becoming consumed by a new and exciting hobby! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

RG

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2015, 08:04:03 PM »
Tony, it seems that way! I am excited for my wife to be in on it with me as she is on the smoking. Makes things much easier that way :)

The local Sheriff's office offers a free gun course that lasts 8 hours, I need to see when the next one is and get my wife and I on the list. They just had one back in March, I don't know how often they do it though. I can't find any info on the net, I'll have to call down there soon.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2015, 08:16:37 PM »
Jason,

The nano-weapons you have are fantastic for easy concealed carry (even what we call "deep" concealment).  If you plan to carry, pick a method of carry and practice drawing and dry-firing from your concealed holster, in the place you will carry it.  I recommend getting some "snap caps" for dry-fire drills, so you don't damage your firing pin (dry fire is very hard on it).

With that being said, I want to add that you will eventually want to get a bigger pistol.  While the nanos are great for a concealed backup, you will soon find that they are very limited at the range, and the "fun factor" will also be limited.  They are good at very close ranges - 10 yards is really reaching out for very short-barreled nanos).  This weapon is for very close-in, self-defense encounters; no time to draw and aim, just react and fire.  As you learn to shoot, you will long for a little more "oomph!"  Being able to accurately shoot farther is important, and much more fun!  When you get the bug, and the desire for a little more, hit us up for recommendations!  (You likely will, by the way).

On the flip side - if you learn the fundamentals of pistol shooting with a very short barrel nano, and get good, transitioning to a full-frame will be a piece of cake!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

RG

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2015, 08:28:06 PM »
Good info. As I said earlier, the gun was a gift so it'll have to suffice. I got my wife one as she likes mine, not too big for her hands. Finding one in pink just pushed it over the top and that also lets us use the same mags and ammo. Down the line, we'll see what I end up with ;)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 08:53:24 PM by RG »

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2015, 11:13:16 PM »
Hey RG, just realized something, your Dad being an ex-Marine can teach you to fire the hand gun. Especially if he was a Recon Marine, but all Marines know their weapons. Worked really close with them in the work I did in the Navy.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

RG

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2015, 05:51:34 PM »
Hey RG, just realized something, your Dad being an ex-Marine can teach you to fire the hand gun. Especially if he was a Recon Marine, but all Marines know their weapons. Worked really close with them in the work I did in the Navy.

Yep, he's an expert shooter. Even at 72 he's dead eye dick!

RG

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2015, 06:05:52 PM »
The Wife's plinker came in today. We are going next week one day to get a conceal permit. Now I just need to find time to make it to the Firing Range to get familiar with it.

elkins20

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2015, 06:55:41 PM »
Not sure where I picked this up at. But, rotate the bullets in the clip once per month. That way you don't have excess pressure on the bullet at the top of the clip.. Since I keep 10 rounds in the M9 I usually half them and then back in the clip. Also this give you practice in loading a clip as those springs have some heft to them. In the 45 I keep 5 rounds but still rotate them.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

RG

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2015, 06:58:50 PM »
Thanks for the info. Any and all tips are welcomed!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2015, 11:03:02 PM »
There is also the 'possibility' (wives tale?) that keeping the magazine fully loaded causes the spring to set over time.  Dumping rounds and loading a different magazine prevents this (again the wives tale).  Read this in Guns and Ammo in the 80's or 90's. Any opinions?
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

mizzoufan

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2015, 08:24:25 AM »
I can tell you it will eventually weaken the spring.  This probably won't happen much faster than your range mags that get loaded/unloaded regularly, but on my old P95, I had one mag that I just left the defense rounds in.  One day I decided to use it for plinking so I took those rounds out and put target rounds in and that spring was weeeak.
Steven from KCMO

Limey

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2015, 11:46:00 AM »
David, I too have read this over the years and so I keep my mags loaded to one round less than their capacity. Don't know if this helps but I have never had any problems.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

elkins20

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2015, 01:18:32 PM »
I have not had any issues either and hit the range with the 9 mm a few times a month to keep up muscle memory. I really need to take the 45 for and put 100 rounds thru it. And really see how accurate it is.