Author Topic: We like BBQ. We like fishing. What about guns?  (Read 66350 times)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: We like BBQ. We like fishing. What about guns?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2015, 09:50:33 PM »
Let us not forget rapid breathing and heartbeat, and adrenaline, and a host of other physiological factors that do not occur on a rifle or pistol range.  They are very real when confronting a living creature be it animal or man. Hunters experience them to one degree or another, as do the military and law enforcement personnel. As I said earlier, it is an awesome responsibility.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Trip

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 01:09:41 AM »
Just go ahead and save yourself the trouble and get a gun trust going now for the suppressors and class 3 stuff you are going to want soon.  ;D

I need to point out the obvious, all you gun folks should be members of the NRA, they're the ones that'll make sure you can keep them, Life membership should be considered by all Americans

No thanks...

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2015, 11:49:52 AM »
Let us not forget rapid breathing and heartbeat, and adrenaline, and a host of other physiological factors that do not occur on a rifle or pistol range.  They are very real when confronting a living creature be it animal or man. Hunters experience them to one degree or another, as do the military and law enforcement personnel. As I said earlier, it is an awesome responsibility.

Great point, Dave!  You will do, under stress, what you do in training.  High-stress leads to loss of fine motor skills - that's why we train to shoot "center mass."  Much more likely to hit your target.  You always hear the Monday morning quarterbacks asking why the police had to shoot to kill; They have no idea "why" the officer is firing in the first place!  When an encounter elevates to use of lethal force, it usually occurs at very short range, in a very short period of time.  Anyone who tries to breath, aim at an arm or leg, then finely-place that shot, will not live to see another day.  Practice, center-mass, and muscle memory is what will save you in a high-stress encounter.

Police are never trained to "shoot to wound," they are trained to stop the threat.  A wounded suspect, who has already shown intent to take your life or the life of another, can still shoot back.  Shoot until the threat is no more.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 11:52:07 AM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2015, 12:40:19 PM »
In the past ( over the years ) I have owned many weapons from handguns , shotguns , to rifles , and have been a avid hunter and a person who has frequented many ranges for practice in the past and present never giving a second thought about taking a certified coarse for a concealed weapons permit until I started getting older ( 63 ) feeling  I need a little more protection weather it be around the house or daily considering I sometimes feel it is the Wild - Wild West all over again no matter how safe it seems to be or should be in this day and age .
[I[I .............

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2015, 12:44:26 PM »
I need to point out the obvious, all you gun folks should be members of the NRA, they're the ones that'll make sure you can keep them, Life membership should be considered by all Americans
X-2 that , and not to mention that I also have a membership with the NRA .
[I[I .............

RG

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2015, 02:26:13 PM »
This is good, thanks for all of the info fellas ;) I'll snap a pic of it and post it up here to show her off. It's nothing fancy, certainly not an AR-15 but it feels well made and balanced. It's a starting point. I am too lazy to read if I posted this already but my Dad tried to give me this gun a year ago and I told him no. This time I took it and glad I did!

RG

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2015, 03:04:30 PM »
Here the little sucker is! It's never been fired, can't wait to try it out.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2015, 07:35:56 PM »
Something else to consider.  For home defense, get some blank ammo for your favorite weapon of choice, or have a competent gun smith pull the bullet and seal it. Now, in the privacy of your own home, with everyone safe and behind you or out of the house altogether (no infants), and the lights out, fire a round or two provided you can do so without violating laws and scaring the neighbors. What you experience on a range, and what you will experience inside 4 walls at night will be quite different. Noise and flash are amplified.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2015, 01:53:29 AM »
You will love the Beretta as they shoot very well. I have the M9-Beretta same as what is issued to the military, that I wore as a security guard to pick up a little extra money. To boost the retirement from uncle sam. I also have a Colt Mark IV Series 70 Government Model 45. Which was the same gun we were trained with in the Navy & Marines for SP/MP duty. I have put 300 rounds thru the Beretta and not a single complaint. As a guard was trained to shoot for the chest and second to the throat or head. But, first is always in the chest, all the instructors taught to fire 2 shots back to back. First always in the chest. Have not really tried the 45 at a range. As the others have said take a good course. And take the wife along as well. Would not hurt for her to get trained. Really the 9mm would be a good gun for her as they do not have much recole. Good luck.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

RG

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2015, 07:28:20 AM »
Thanks Bill. I am going to get us both enrolled in a course and I am going to get her a Pink Nano. That way we can share mags. Later down the road I may buy something else for myself, we'll see.

Here's what hers will look like, I may add the grip extender to one of the mags as well as get her a laser also.

mizzoufan

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2015, 08:38:42 AM »
Your opinion of the NRA might vary, but the constant practice is very good advice.  As annoying as some people at them can be, I prefer the unmonitored outdoor ranges at conservation areas here for the simple reason that very few indoor ranges allow draw and fire or double taps...essentially nothing that you would use in real life, should the need arise.

Another thing that was alluded to, but not said outright is that you can practice that carry/deployment stuff all the time at home.  I typically carry at home (easiest way to ensure you have a weapon in the room you're in is to carry it) and sometimes while watching TV will practice drawing, flicking the safety and pointing (then checking aim to see how close I was)...after unloading it, of course.

As for ammo for all that practice, you can get some decent deals at various online stores if you're willing to buy in bulk.  That's not an issue for me as it's a fun hobby and I try to shoot at least pistols 2-4 times a month to keep muscle memory. 
Steven from KCMO

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2015, 11:17:13 AM »
Good Point Steven, I totally forgot about the practice draw. But, had mine down to 2 sec. when was doing the security guard duty. I also wanted to share ammo I use the Winchester Ranger, Law Enforcement Ammunition for the 9MM. This is for home protection and not plunking. And for the 45 full metal jacket, I know will go thru bricks. Also I usually just buy something at the range to practice.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

RG

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2015, 02:01:25 PM »
I just pulled the trigger (no pun intended) and ordered my wife a Nano in pink. It should be at the FFL (licensed firearm dealer located up the road from me) by the end of the week. Now she's got her one and I have one. I am actually trying to talk my son into buying a pistol instead of a $600.00 exhaust for his Mustang. That car is probably going to win the battle :)

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2015, 02:39:22 PM »
I highly encourage NRA Membership as they do a great job of actively protecting our rights to carry and hunting as well. I have had a CC permit for quite a while and am an avid hunter. I carry a Kahr CW9 that is a nice size of CC. I hated the original sights so I changed them out for Tritium sights so they glow in the dark.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

RG

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2015, 03:07:37 PM »
I highly encourage NRA Membership as they do a great job of actively protecting our rights to carry and hunting as well. I have had a CC permit for quite a while and am an avid hunter. I carry a Kahr CW9 that is a nice size of CC. I hated the original sights so I changed them out for Tritium sights so they glow in the dark.

I'll look into BB. As for the glow-in-the-dark sights. I see the attraction there but the laser sight should do the job too I would think. I can already tell that this is going to be an expensive hobby, lol. It's way overdue. I've been meaning to do this for a while and I decided to do it while I still can. There may be a day soon that Big Brother limits what we can do, I feel it may not be far off under the current administration. I don't want this to turn into a political debate so I'll quit while I'm ahead, lol.