Author Topic: First jerky and a broken jerky dryer  (Read 8403 times)

Barrel99

Re: First jerky and a broken jerky dryer
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 01:46:38 PM »
Thanks for the comments.

Considering I have never had any jerky except what's in package, like Oberto I think is the name, I had no model except that to compare to. I think mine is better than that. When I get the new dryer, I will see the diff for myself.

The marinades/brines were homemade and I did use Morton Tender Quick for the cure but probably not enough. I just have such a negative attitude toward nitrites/nitrates.

It is chewy and I really like it that way. The cross grain cut is a bit more tender and more to my wife's liking.

The temp went up to 164 for a very short period during the smoking time. I caught it and opened the door immediately. Most of the time the temp was in the 140-145 range. That was also new to me because I have not tried anything at a low temperature for that long.

I have noticed some pics of you guys smokes showing what looks like thinner pieces. Mine was cut about 1/4 inch and shrunk to about 1/8. Thinner would be like a piece of shaved meat I guess.

Like all new smokes, it is fun. In a way I am glad I had the opportunity to try jerky without the dryer. It was a learning process.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 03:11:43 PM »
The section I am about to post about nitrates is copied form http://ruhlman.com/2011/02/meat-curing-safety-issues/
You can read the nitrate information below or reference his entire blog post, lots of good information on curing and meat safety.

The Pink Salt Issue: Is Sodium Nitrite Harmful

The quick answers:

—Sodium Nitrite (aka pink salt, which is sold under various names such as DQ Cure #1 and Prague Powder #1) is by regulation 93.75% sodium and 6.25% nitrite.

—Its fundamental property from a health standpoint is that it kills bacteria that cause botulism in smoked and ground meat.

—The great advantage of using sodium nitrite is flavor: it’s what makes bacon taste like bacon and not spare ribs, what makes ham taste like ham and not a pork roast, and corned beef like corned beef and not pot roast.

—You do need to handle it with care because it’s toxic if you ingest it directly.  It’s colored pink to prevent accidental ingestion.  Keep it out of kids’ reach.  According to this link on Oxford University’s site, the exact toxicity is 71 milligrams per kilogram.  I weigh nearly 100 kilograms.  That means if I ate 7.1 grams, it could kill me (by binding the oxygen carried by my blood to the hemoglobin, making that oxygen unavailable to my cells).  That’s about a teaspoon.  If you’re a petite 110 pounds, 1/2 teaspoon would be toxic.  This article on its toxicity suggest an even lower amount is harmful.  Bottom line: Don’t be afraid of it, but keep it well identified, and use it only as a recipe calls for.

—In the amounts called for in curing meat, and in the amount we commonly eat, it is not harmful in any meaningful way.  Indeed, used properly, it’s beneficial.  It’s an anti-microbial agent (i.e. kills bad bacteria), and it creates great flavors and appealing color.

Many think of sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate to be harmful chemical additives and have heard that they can be carcinogenic in certain situations.  Here is my position on these issues:

Nitrates and Nitrites are naturally occurring chemicals that our bodies rely on for a number of reasons.  Green vegetables such as spinach and celery are loaded with them.  Of all the nitrite in our bodies, as much as 93% of it comes from the nitrate in vegetables.  Our bodies naturally convert nitrate into nitrite, which works as a powerful antibacterial agent, particularly in an acidic environment (such as in our stomachs).

In the 1970s, concerns arose that nitrites could be carcinogenic.  Current studies conclude that large quantities (as in contaminated water) can do serious damage, but that the quantities added to food do not.  Indeed, as one study put it, “Since 93% of ingested nitrite comes from normal metabolic sources, if nitrite caused cancers or was a reproductive toxicant, it would imply that humans have a major design flaw.”[1]

And The American Medical Association reports that as of 2004, “given the current FDA and USDA regulations on the use of nitrites, the risk of developing cancer as a result of consumption of nitrites-containing food is negligible.”

It’s my belief that companies advertising their products as “nitrite-free,” are either uninformed themselves or are pandering to America’s ignorance about what is healthy and what is harmful in our foods.  In other words, the term “no nitrites added” is a marketing device, not an actual health benefit.

Use pink salt in the quantities recommended in the recipes and eat a balanced diet.

I agree with you the cross grain cut meat makes a easier to eat jerky. Personally my slices are between 1/* and 1/4 depending on how much meat I have to work with. I use an antique Hobart Slicer I reconditioned. I'm glad your enjoying your jerky, you will get the hang of it soon. Don't be afraid of the curing salts or low temp smoking, just follow the basic rules.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 08:15:00 PM »
I truly believe the lower you go with the heat for jerky the better product you get.

I totally agree...'cooked' jerky is nasty mealy crap!!!!!
~Martin

Walt

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 08:35:40 PM »
Thats all I need. Martin & Brian's blessing. Chisel it in STONE! End of discussion.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Barrel99

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 11:12:36 PM »
I truly believe the lower you go with the heat for jerky the better product you get.

I totally agree...'cooked' jerky is nasty mealy crap!!!!!

I don't know what that is, but mine does not fit that description...lol.

I have read lots about the cures and just have an aversion to it. Maybe over time I will accept it more. See my negative experience comments in "curing salts".

Next time I'll try the lower temps for sure.

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 08:51:49 PM »
Lots of varied opinions on jerky, just like everything else we smoke, Arnie!  If you like the results you're getting, keep it up!  I agree with the guys that don't like "cooked" jerky.  What that means is getting the smoker temp 160+.  You will cook the meat, not dry it.  If you taste both, side-by-side, you'd see what I mean.  Big difference.

I know all about your aversion to curing salt, and still think you are being overly-cautious about it.  If used properly, it is NOT dangerous.  Not using it, in certain things (like jerky) is MORE dangerous than over-using curing salt!  I've still yet to find a bag of Instacure #1 that has the word "toxic" on the label, so I don't know where you got your first bag.  It's a valuable tool, if you learn how to use it properly.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 09:28:17 PM »
Here is the link for the entire blog post http://ruhlman.com/2011/05/the-no-nitrites-added-hoax/
The main point is listed below:
A study in the Journal of Food Protection put it this way: “Since 93% of ingested nitrite comes from normal metabolic sources, if nitrite caused cancers or was a reproductive toxicant, it would imply that humans have a major design flaw.”
Rather than being scared of it you (all of us) need to be knowledgeable. Before I ever used nitrite salts I read credible information many times over. Then and now when I use it it is carefully measured. Because I understand it I know that food I produce is safer. I also know that you consume more nitrite in a huge spinach salad than in my bacon or jerky.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Barrel99

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 10:50:46 PM »
This is the link that ordered the original Prague powder that had the notice. Thanks Brian for the articles.

http://www.amazon.com/Hoosier-Hill-Farm-Prague-Powder/dp/B008NH7AUA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1415935048&sr=8-6&keywords=prague+salt

When I get the dryer I will try it and see the difference. Remember the only reason I cooked it this way was because the dryer was broken. For now I have a bunch of tasty jerky.

Barrel99

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2015, 11:53:48 PM »
Interesting day. We had family and friends over today. After dinner, I asked if anyone likes jerky and some said yes. So I pulled out the jerky I made which was in the frig and let them try. In no time at all it was gone...I was amazed...they loved it. It just shows even if it's not perfect, it's still better in the SI.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 09:29:45 PM »
It just shows even if it's not perfect, it's still better in the SI.

Indeed it is, my friend, indeed it is! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!