Poll

Did you visit the forum before making your purchase, and what impact did it have?

Yes.  Briefly visiited, but didn't stay long.
No.  I never visited the forum before purchasing.
I visited the forum after I made the decision to buy
Information on the forum directly influenced my decision to buy
I visited the forum before purchase, but it had no influence on my decision to buy
I didn't know about the forum prior to purchasing.

Author Topic: What influence did the Smokin-It forum have in your buying decision?  (Read 90803 times)

Trip

Re: What influence did the Smokin-It forum have in your buying decision?
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2015, 01:14:54 PM »
I was pretty sure I was going to buy a MES during Christmastime when they were on sale.  Even went to Academy, but they were out of stock.  Someone there told me not to buy one because they were junk.  Put it on the backburner until I built a patio earlier this year.

Asked a question on another generic smoking forum I lurked about electrics.  Started talking to oldsarge on that forum a good bit about different models.  He helped me narrow my search to the Cookshack 045 and the SI3.  I was leaning heavily towards the Cookshack because of temps it offers as we eat a lot of poultry and the electronic controls.  oldsarge directed me to this forum and the auber posts, that pretty much sealed the deal when I could get the temps I wanted, cost, and a better size.  Then I found the heatermeter thread and it was a done deal.  So count me as one of the ones that the forum got the sale.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 01:19:32 PM by Trip »

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2015, 09:42:43 PM »
Tom, Steven and Trip - thanks for taking the time to comment!  We really appreciate you all being here, and look forward to many happy smokes! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

darreldbeck

• Dive Dude
    • time flyz training
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2015, 01:08:09 PM »
The forums were huge in my decision!!!!
Just purchased #2. Seasoned Friday and smoking first batch of boneless pork ribs with homemade rub tonight.
I will post results soon.
Doug
Dive more! Work less!

DivotMaker

« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2015, 09:58:02 PM »
Nice, Doug!!!  Sure glad to have you with us!  Be sure to head over to the "Introductions" section and tell us a little about yourself.  Go ahead and throw your first name and town in your signature line, too!  You're off to a great start, dive dude! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

aspenextreme03

« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2015, 11:32:31 AM »
I am a researcher and smokin it kept coming up. I cannot say the forum swayed me to buy one but it did help my decision to buy a #2. I like to buy once cry once. So far it has been what i expected and looking forward to many trouble free years.

The forum now is great and a lot of great individuals willing to help and give their advise.
Eric from Marietta, GA
Smokin-It Model 2, Weber Genesis & Blackstone Pizza Oven

DivotMaker

« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2015, 03:41:42 PM »
Glad we can help, Eric!
Tony from NW Arkansas

jw102870

« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2015, 08:38:25 PM »
I heard about the Smokin It over in the Smoking Meat Forums.  Lots of people had lots of good things to say and i've gotten nothing but good advice from that site over the years so I went for it.  I was nearly ready to pull the trigger on the Yoder 640 pellet grill and I backed away from the edge and decided to stick with a propane grill and the SI#3 instead.  Haven't regretted it for a second.  I went to MI to pick it up and was more than surprised to find out that had I purchased it only a few months prior to when i did, I could have driven about 10 minutes up the road from my house instead of the 3 hrs to MI as Steve was in the next town over when the business was in OH.  Oh well, road trip to MI was worth it.
Jeff

MarkF

« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2015, 12:00:07 PM »
Steve did.

When I bought my 2, the forum did not exist. In fact, there were not a lot of reviews either. I exchanged emails and then a phone call with Steve. Bought right after that. Buying the 3 was a no brainer after having the 2 for a couple of years.

Mark
One with too many toys.....
Smokin-it #2, #3
Weber Kettle One Touch Gold, Smokey Joe Gold
Chargriller Outlaw with SFB
Camerons Stove Top Smoker

Hog Wild

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2015, 11:30:17 PM »
This forum was huge influence.  One of SI's direct competitors is local, and I could have had their equivalent model warming up on my back porch within an hour.  It's hard to fake the kind of enthusiasm and community I found here if your product isn't at least as good as advertised.  If y'all are a fraud you're a good one.  ;)
Scott, from north Texas

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2015, 12:06:32 PM »
  One of SI's direct competitors is local, and I could have had their equivalent model warming up on my back porch within an hour. 
Just curious who is the competitor, and welcome to the forum from West Mich .
[I[I .............

DivotMaker

« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2015, 06:26:06 PM »
This forum was huge influence.  One of SI's direct competitors is local, and I could have had their equivalent model warming up on my back porch within an hour.  It's hard to fake the kind of enthusiasm and community I found here if your product isn't at least as good as advertised.  If y'all are a fraud you're a good one.  ;)

That's a great endorsement, Scott!  And, no frauds allowed here! :D   Just a bunch of happy owners!
Tony from NW Arkansas

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2015, 10:22:27 PM »
  One of SI's direct competitors is local, and I could have had their equivalent model warming up on my back porch within an hour. 
Just curious who is the competitor, and welcome to the forum from West Mich .
The Texas connection is SmokinTex,a good smoker in it's own right.  BUT! While they resemble each other in many ways, there really is no comparison. $ for $ you are way ahead with SI. Just do a comparison, feature by feature, warranty, size for money spent, etc.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 10:25:01 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

drains

« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2015, 08:36:06 PM »
i actually joined the forum in sept. of 2013 and just lurked for a while then brooded over which size to get and the cost of shipping and put off buying what i already knew was the best smoker on the market. finally i purchased a masterbuilt 40 inch with the window on black friday of 2014 for a couple hundred bucks.  Two so so smokes and it died in the middle of the third smoke. I didnt even clean it up i just loaded it in my truck and took it back and got a refund. Long story short i should have had my #3 a lot longer than i have. I am trying to make up for lost time though. I have been very pleased with my decision and the forums definitely played a part in my choice. Thank you!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2015, 11:21:41 AM »
I really wished I had visited the forum first b/4 ordering. But, that is water under the bridge... I think I would have went with the #2. But, had pretty good reasoning for the #1, mostly will be cooking for 2 or maybe 3. Sooooooooooo really do not need the #2. But, may change my mind again. Can always sell the #1 on Ebay if I find I need more room. As someone said better to have the room and not use it as to not have the room and need it.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2015, 12:08:10 PM »
Hi  Bill... I think you will find the #1 will work great for smoking for a couple of people.  Enjoy!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2