Author Topic: Major Product Release! Model 2D & 3D - Integrated PID Digital Smoker  (Read 48952 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Major Product Release! Model 2D & 3D - Integrated PID Digital Smoker
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2015, 05:13:10 PM »
what will the lowest temp setting be ?  I hope its below 140

LTS
With my Auber, I can set it at 0 for a specified amount of time in program 1, when I don't want the smoker to start right away. i.e. I'm going to bed at 10:00 p.m. and want the smoker to kick on at midnight. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2015, 12:29:23 PM »
Tony,
I have a question about the new controller.  With the portable model, there were concerns about over heating the Auber even with placement on top of the smoker.  Now that it is encased, how has Steve dealt with heat gain issues?

bbrown99

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2015, 05:30:28 PM »
New integrated digital controller - great addition to the SI line!  I'm glad I cruised by the forum today.  I had an "external" Auber unit on my Christmas wish list for my wife/Santa to gift me.  HOWEVER, I think I'll wait for the retrofit kit. Or at least see the price point and make the decision then.  Any idea when such a kit might be available (days, weeks, months)?  Anyway, congrats on the new models!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2015, 07:19:01 PM »
Tony,
I have a question about the new controller.  With the portable model, there were concerns about over heating the Auber even with placement on top of the smoker.  Now that it is encased, how has Steve dealt with heat gain issues?

Good question, Dave.  On the standalone units, the heat sink for the SSR (the chip that gets hot) is mounted on the bottom of the unit.  That's why setting it on top of a warm smoker is probably not the best place.  On the "D" models, the heat sink is on the lower left bottom of the smoker, and is not enclosed.  I ran it this weekend for 15 hours (2 pork butts) with no problems. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2015, 07:23:42 PM »
New integrated digital controller - great addition to the SI line!  I'm glad I cruised by the forum today.  I had an "external" Auber unit on my Christmas wish list for my wife/Santa to gift me.  HOWEVER, I think I'll wait for the retrofit kit. Or at least see the price point and make the decision then.  Any idea when such a kit might be available (days, weeks, months)?  Anyway, congrats on the new models!

The kits should be available soon.  This kit not only includes the controller, but also the remote heat sink, permanent probe, and a new flat top for your smoker (the one that's on it now has ribs).  I think you will find the pricing very appealing, if it goes the way I think it will.  Steve wants to be totally fair for the current owners. 

Realize one thing, though, about the retro-kit - there will be more work involved than just drilling a hole for the permanent probe.  You have to cut a square hole in the bottom for the SSR/heat sink, so this is NOT a "drop in/plug and play" kit.  It will require a little tool work.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2015, 08:51:30 PM »
I am very interested to see the pricing for the retrofit.

I'm not sure how much extra I'm going to be willing to pay to get the retrofit.

The other option will be selling the current one and upgrading or maybe giving it a new home at the lake place. ;)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2015, 08:53:13 PM »
Should be out soon, Gregg.  I'll post it when Steve sets it.
Tony from NW Arkansas

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2015, 09:26:53 PM »
I am very interested to see the pricing for the retrofit.

I'm not sure how much extra I'm going to be willing to pay to get the retrofit.

The other option will be selling the current one and upgrading or maybe giving it a new home at the lake place. ;)

I am thinking along the same lines, maybe sell the #2 and pick up the new one maybe #3 d.

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2015, 09:50:45 PM »
Gregg & Greg, what are you seeing the advantages of the new smoker worth the expense over your existing smoker with an Auber? 

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2015, 09:51:19 PM »
You won't regret the size upgrade to the #3 Greg.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2015, 09:52:06 PM »
Gregg & Greg, what are you seeing the advantages of the new smoker worth the expense over your existing smoker with an Auber? 

The weatherproof Auber is a big deal for me.

Also, only having one cord to mess with.

One less thing to remember to pack when traveling with it.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 09:54:03 PM by NDKoze »
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2015, 10:03:24 PM »
Even though the box is weatherproof, I can see putting something like a plastic shower cap over it, if you're using it in the rain without a cover.  The probe plugs into a 1/4" stereo socket on the right end.  The plug is the only part that isn't sealed.
Tony from NW Arkansas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2015, 10:08:40 PM »
I wouldn't smoke in a pouring rain. It is just nice piece of mind in case a sprinkle/light rain comes during a long smoke. I would think in this situation the plug connection would be OK.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2015, 10:11:03 PM »
I'm sure it would, Gregg.  Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone who might. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2015, 10:16:17 PM »
I'm sure it would, Gregg.  Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone who might. ;)

I'm glad you did, because I kind of forgot that the meat probe has to plug in there somewhere.

It would be nice to have a rubber plug of some kind that could be inserted if not using the meat probe. For example when smoking ribs and not needing a meat probe.

Since the stereo plug is a pretty standard plug type, this may be found for cheap on Amazon or the like.
Gregg - Fargo, ND