Author Topic: Auber Temp overshoot  (Read 1900 times)

AckMack78

Auber Temp overshoot
« on: January 31, 2021, 06:54:28 PM »
Hey quick question, for you guys with PIDs.  How much is your initial temperature overshoot when the smoking it ramps up to temp?
On my model 3 wifi with the stock settings ramping up to 225* I was getting 30° over then 20° under. 
I did an auto tune with a covered corningware dish
full of water.  I was able to get an initial overshoot of +15+, -10 then it would settle and hold steady but after opening the smoker even for just 30seconds to a minute it would overshoot by 10 then drop 10 below set temp.  This seems a little much.
I'm just trying to see what Is normal for you guys, once it's settled I'm within the +/- 3* but I think the overshoots are a little much .
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 07:02:53 PM by AckMack78 »
Armand behind enemy lines in S. California

barelfly

Re: Auber Temp overshoot
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 09:33:19 PM »
I’ve never measured this with my 3D. I just know that I set it at my temp and I get great food afterwards.

But with that said, I know that other smokers, whether they are pellet, stick burner or electric, take time to recover to cook temp when the door is opened and the closed. The overshoot, in my thinking, could be to help get that recovery time to a minimum? That’s just my thinking, I could be completely off on this. Did your cook come out ok? Or did the swing impact your final results?

Again, I’ve never monitored the temp swings. I know analogs have a bit of swing, but most on here with digital cookers just set it and forget it.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

AckMack78

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 10:07:08 PM »
The cooks have been coming out fine, no complaints.  I'm not really concerned with 15-20* either way with normal smokes.  I'm mostly looking ahead for a warm smoke with fish, where I'd rather not overshoot it that high. 
I'm going to try another autotune with 3 bricks in the model 3 and see how it goes.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 10:31:01 PM »
Are you using a secondary temp gauge or is your controller showing the overshoot?  I don't monitor the smoker temp and rely sold on the controller and have never seen it show any overshoot.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

barelfly

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 10:50:52 PM »
For the fish smokes, I do use a lower cook temp. I don’t go with a cold smoke, but usually 175-200. If that helps for your planning.

But glad your cooks are turning out ok!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

AckMack78

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 11:05:47 PM »
Are you using a secondary temp gauge or is your controller showing the overshoot?  I don't monitor the smoker temp and rely sold on the controller and have never seen it show any overshoot.
My controller and a secondary temp guage are both showing the overshoot and they're within a degree of each other.  My main concern is warm smokes, hot smokes 15* doesn't make a difference.
 I'm running an autotune right now  I actually ended up only using 2 bricks since they weighed 5lbs each and were huge.

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 11:50:07 AM »
It's been awhile since I set it up, but my Brewing PID system had specific steps on running the auto tune to eliminate over run temps.  I can't remember the details other than to run the auto tune with the same setup as I did when brewing.  So I would try running an auto tune when you have a meat load in there.  I would suggest doing a meatloaf as they smoke fast.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA