Author Topic: 1st Leg of Lamb - any suggestions  (Read 4651 times)

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
1st Leg of Lamb - any suggestions
« on: June 10, 2016, 01:22:30 AM »
So, I've had this in the freezer a while. Looking to smoke it this weekend. Any suggestions on wood, smoke times and temps, or other pros and cons?  Also recommendations on side dishes that pair well would be nice. Thanks!
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

Limey

Re: 1st Leg of Lamb - any suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 10:05:14 AM »
Tony,
I open mine out(yours will be nearly butterflied anyway since it is boneless) and remove every bit of visible fat to reduce any gaminess. Stud all over with rosemary and garlic, cutting little slots in the meat and poking the slivered garlic and fresh rosemary leaves into them. Cover fairly liberally inside and out with evoo. Smoke at 225 to IT of 120 for rare/medium rare using a water pan and around 4 ounces of cherry. It will take around 30 minutes per pound. Rest in cooler for one hour and then reverse sear. Serve with mint jelly, rosemary potatoes and assorted veg. That anyway is how I smoke them and they turn out great. I'm sure others will weigh in with their approaches.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

gregor

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 06:23:58 PM »
Thanks!  I've had one in the freezer for awhile - will have to get it defrosting...

allmann

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 02:32:32 PM »
I was just talking about doing one. I will be picking one up for this weekend
Kevin
Lacey NJ

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 01:50:21 PM »
Tony, I have done several. Since this is a bone in, do not take it out of the netting because that will help with keeping the shape. Rub it with olive oil, do some slits in the meat and put slivers of garlic in them. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and rosemary. Cook via the "reverse sear" method at 225 until IT is medium rare or whatever you desire. Remove from smoke and put in oven at 500 deg for about 15 minutes to brown up the outside. You will have a perfect prime ribesk meat that is smoky and delicious. I use oak but lamb will tolerate any of the beef smoking woods. Keep a try of water in the bottom of the smoker too and you will get juicy results. Let us know how it turns out.  8)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 08:43:48 AM »
We have done a lot of lamb over the years.
Don't take off the net.
We like Rosemary and garlic on lamb use a different herb if you like.
Rough chop  some rosemary and smash some garlic cloves.
Start the smashed cloves in some olive oil in a skillet on medium high heat, with a pinch of salt.
When you can start to smell the garlic , turn off the heat and add the rosemary to the hot pan.
When the pan an contents are cooled, take the chilled leg of lamb and poke garlic and rosemary into the cavity where the bone was removed. Take your time there is some stretch in the net so it can happen.
Rub down the exterior of the lamb with the cooled oil from the skillet.
Season the leg with kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper.

Do the reverse sear as previously described.

* The garlic and herbs that you stuff inside the leg are the only seasoning that side of the meat will receive. Add plenty of salt and Fresh cracked pepper to them prior to stuffing.

*When slicing the leg finely mince and save the cooked chunks of garlic. The next day mix that garlic with mayo and use on sandwiches of sliced chilled lamb.

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud