Author Topic: Ideas to Protect your faceplate from wear!  (Read 2168 times)

bartjoebob

• Yippee Kay yay
Ideas to Protect your faceplate from wear!
« on: August 16, 2021, 08:51:01 PM »
Thought I'd share a couple tips I discovered to protect the temperature control face plates from getting worn out.  Did this while replacing mine.  My original idea while a little elaborate is bulletproof:   

Method #1  / Original Idea... laminate the faceplate using automotive paint protection film.  You can buy small strips of this on amazon.  Some are even self healing so if they get scuffed, the scratch will disappear in the sun.  There are tons of videos on how to apply PPF and it works very well with this application especially if you have a new face plate not yet on the unit.  This will completely prevent any of of the lettering or graphics from scratching or chipping.  It could still be applied to a plate on the unit too.

2) Method #2:  so simple I almost fell over... grab a 1/4" inside diameter by 3/8" outside diameter stainless steel washer or two and shim your knob!  ;D ;D  I know that sounds ridiculous to say out loud but its so easy.  Remove the control knob and place 1 or two washers over the temperature control knob's post, reinsert the knob.  It simply raises the knob so it wont contact with the face plate (see attached image).  I also added a garden hose rubber washer under the knob for some extra water barrier. 

Simple, effective solutions for a brand new unit or when replacing a worn out faceplate!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 09:10:34 PM by bartjoebob »

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Ideas to Protect your faceplate from wear!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 09:19:43 PM »
A GREAT tip.  Thanks for sharing!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers