Author Topic: First smoke in model 2  (Read 1341 times)

Smokin13

First smoke in model 2
« on: June 21, 2020, 11:39:49 PM »
I just got my model 2 and broke it in with 2 pork butts 7lbs each, over cherry for 15 hours then added some more wood and did 40 wings while the butts were wrapped on the cooler.  I’ve never owned a smoker and just got tips from reading this forum.  Turned out great!  I added pics, I’m so psyched to do it again!  Only question I had is for the butts used the tin foil “boats” that I’ve read about on here to let the wood burn slower.  I still had some wood when I took them out after 15 hours, is that normal?

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: First smoke in model 2
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 03:51:50 AM »
Only question I had is for the butts used the tin foil “boats” that I’ve read about on here to let the wood burn slower.  I still had some wood when I took them out after 15 hours, is that normal?

Congrats on your inaugural successes!  As far as the wood...  if it doesn't catch on fire then you should get black charcoal chunks out.  I keep those and throw them in my charcoal bin for use in my grill.  :) 

------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

barelfly

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 08:48:51 AM »
Welcome, congrats on that #2 and congrats on your first of many successful cooks!

Pork butt looks great! Enjoy!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 12:20:25 PM »
Well done!  It looks like you jumped in with both feet for the first smoke, and with great success!  My mouth is watering looking at those butts and wings!  Thanks for including some pics!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2