Author Topic: First brined pork loin  (Read 9500 times)

Barrel99

Re: First brined pork loin
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 11:56:10 AM »
At the same time I got the loin, I got pork butts at $1.49/lb. I can get St. Louis ribs on sale for $1.99/lb.

Also, I pay more for chicken wings than I do for pork.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 12:07:15 PM by Barrel99 »
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

AngieSmokes

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 05:55:29 PM »
There's a sale going on at the Cash & Carry right now, boneless pork loin is 1.77/lb average pkg 9 lbs. Meanwhile, the local Safeway, QFC, & Albertson's all say their pork loin is on sale this week at 2.99/lb.

We just got a vacuum sealer and are going to be putting a freezer in the garage for this reason.

$3.99/lb?! :(
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 05:58:42 PM by AngieSmokes »
Smokin-It #2 in the PNW

Barrel99

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 06:03:40 PM »
Those are some good prices for pork. I wish beef was that cheap. Hamburger starts 2.99 and up. We don't buy much beef anymore unless it's on a good sale.

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 06:15:50 PM »
$3.99/lb?! :(
Okay, I'm an idiot!  I went back and read the ad again and it is pork tenderloin for $3.99/lbs.  I saw the price and the picture but didn't read the fine print.  They used a loin picture for the tenderloin ad.   :P
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 06:34:30 PM by SuperDave »
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

AngieSmokes

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 11:08:35 PM »
I wish beef was that cheap. Hamburger starts 2.99 and up. We don't buy much beef anymore unless it's on a good sale.

Oh, man, I hear you. Our local stores are advertising ground beef at 4.99! It's a scam.  :-\ We have a bunch of KitchenAid-ground chuck roast in the freezer now that was left over from our Super Bowl hamburgers. Husband labeled it "Super Bowl ground beef" with a sharpie, so now, whenever I open the freezer door to get something out for dinner, I'm saddened - for reasons wholly unrelated to the price of beef hehe.

Anyway, he was just saying today that he didn't think it had enough fat, so we're going to blend it with some other kind of cut when we can. Ribs or brisket maybe? Will have to check out Cash & Carry now that we have the vacuum sealer.
Smokin-It #2 in the PNW

Barrel99

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2015, 07:53:57 AM »
It's ok Dave buddy. We all get could up in the pork wars...lol! Yea, pork tenderloin here starts at about 4.99 when you can find it.

Angie, I agree beef has become an overpriced meat for sure. I think the weather has had a lot to do with it.

I fried up some of the loin I made with eggs on the side and it was fantastic. Kinda like a Canadian bacon but better.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 07:58:57 AM by Barrel99 »

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2015, 04:17:14 PM »
Definitely taking notes for my recipe file. Yum - pork loin with smoked gravy. Curious, what is/in DMs pork brine? :)

He used my brine for pork butts.  I actually use a different brine on loins (go figure):

Pork Loin Brine

Try this one, for fun! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Barrel99

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2015, 05:14:06 PM »
I liked the other one. I'll try the loin brine next time for comparison. Tony C. Is a bit spicy for my family. As I indicated, I cut way back on the black and cayenne peppers in the butt brine.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2015, 06:52:02 PM »
No problem, Arnie!  That's the good thing about any spice - we can always "adjust to taste!"
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!