Author Topic: 21-day dry-aged ribeyes!  (Read 27391 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
21-day dry-aged ribeyes!
« on: January 05, 2014, 04:27:53 PM »
OK, gang, started a new project today:  21-day dry-aged ribeyes!  Some will end up in the smoker, but most will probably find their way to the Weber gasser!

Here's the process:

I've dry-aged prime rib before, with good success.  The process for "open air" dry-aging is a little touchy; bacteria can be introduced to the surface of the meat, so you have to be very careful.

I recently learned about UMAi's dry-aging bags!  These are plastic bags that are essentially like Gore-Tex for meat!  They allow moisture to escape, and oxygen molecules to enter, but don't allow bacteria in and keep the meat protected.  You can check out the videos on their site, and there are reviews on other forums and YouTube.  I believe these are a simple way to dry-age in the fridge without much risk.

I picked up a 14.27 lb whole ribeye at Sam's today.  It's a whole one in the cryo bag.  Yes, the whole ribeye was $100, but it will produce about $250 worth of dry-aged steaks!  If you've never had a dry-aged steak, you don't know what you're missing!  The beef flavor is "concentrated," much like reducing a sauce to concentrate the flavors.  When you slowly dry the meat, the fat and connective tissues break down, leaving very beefy-flavored meat that is incredibly tender.

I bought a sample pack of UMAi bags, and packed the new ribeye in one.  The picture shows the ribeye, day one.  I'll leave it on a wire rack in the fridge until 1/26, at which time I'll trim it, slice it, and grill it!  The leftover steaks will be individually vacuum sealed and put in the freezer for later.

More updates to follow!

Their website is:

www.drybagsteak.com

Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Three Sons BBQ

Re: 21-day dry-aged ribeyes!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 04:31:18 PM »
I am speechless.  Completely out of my league... :'(
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 06:21:56 PM »
Naaa...not as hard as you think, Steve!  I'll give a complete review in 3 weeks, and you'll see this to be an incredible treat that anyone can do!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 07:36:34 PM »
I really liked the looks of those bags when you posted them prior. Can't wait to see what results you get from them. I want to do this so bad.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

cwshiles

• Get out there and Smoke it!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 07:55:47 PM »
Tony,
I am impressed. I have never even thought doing this myself was possible and here you go and show me 2 ways to do it in one week. Cool stuff. Can't wait to hear how it turns out.
Charlie from MD
Smokin it Model #3 with Cart
Auber 1503, Maverick ET-733, iGrill

vwbrad

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 09:29:12 PM »
Tony,
    I was completely clueless on the process of dry aging beef.  I only knew that a dry aged steak is very pricey at the steak houses.  I looked at the website and the UMAi process looks extremely cool.  Let us know how your rib eyes turn out and when we can come by for the BBQ :)

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 09:50:24 PM »
I hope they turn out as good as I think they will!  First BBQ will be Jan 26 if you're in the neighborhood! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 10:57:57 PM »
Day 3 of the quest for the "perfect steak!"  The UMAi dry bag is bonded to the surface of the meat very well, and I can tell a definite difference in the meat!  When I took it out for this picture, it was much stiffer than on day 1.  Also, this pic is the fat cap side (the first pic was the meat side).  Notice how the fat cap is much more red?  It was pearly-white on day one.  That means the moisture is moving to the surface, and saturating the fat.  Can't wait until 1/26!!  More to come!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 10:50:03 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 11:31:41 PM »
DivotMaker... I can hardly wait for you!!!!!!

Thanks for the pictures... this is something I may need do as a special treat if I learn how to do this from watching you!!!

Thanks again.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 10:38:05 PM »
Here's how she looks on day 5!  Notice the rind is starting to form (brownish coloration on the fat), and the exposed meat areas a really red.  That means the blood is coming to the surface, and rind will form in that area also.  It will be covered with a brown, waxy rind at the end of this, which will get trimmed away to expose the incredible meat below!  More to follow!

I hate (but love) these long-term cooks!  Gonna be hard to wait another 16 days for the goodness to come!!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 10:52:23 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 11:29:25 PM »
OH Christ! I love this due to the fact that I want to do this soooo much.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 11:37:21 PM »
I know, Ben!  The hardest part is the waiting!!  It's a killer to look in the fridge every day and see that beautiful hunk of meat, know I can't touch it for 2 more weeks!!  :o
Tony from NW Arkansas

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 11:38:23 PM »
such a tease
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 11:40:07 PM »
 ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

Walt

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 11:44:23 PM »
I just lost myself on their website.  Amazing stuff you can do with their products.  Folds right in with this passion / hobby.  I'm in!
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill