Author Topic: 21-day dry-aged ribeyes!  (Read 27356 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: 21-day dry-aged ribeyes!
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2014, 10:40:44 PM »
Great, Wik!  It's even easier than you stated!  I learned this from watching the videos over at UMAi:

1.  No trimming
2.  Open the cryo bag the meat is in,
3.  Pour a little of the excess juice out,
4.  Slide the meat directly into the UMAi bag - no rinsing!
5.  Seal the bag and refrigerate!

You don't want to rinse because the meat juice in the bag is clean, and the UMAi bags rely on moisture to work properly.  The moisture, on the surface of the meat, is what makes the bag bond to the surface.  If it's too dry, you won't get a proper bond. 

Watch all the videos at UMAi - good stuff!

Good luck!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Wik

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2014, 10:56:51 PM »
Thanks for the tip!  For some reason I was thinking it had to be dry.  But it has been quite a while since I "scanned" some of those videos.  Saved me from making a huge mistake!  Definitely need to spend some time over in their videos again.
Chad from Moorhead, MN
Proud #3 Owner

DivotMaker

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2014, 11:01:49 PM »
It's SO worth the time doing this!  Absolutely the best steaks I've ever had!  I bought some nice Porterhouse steaks from Sam's last weekend.  They were beautiful; well-marbled, nice and thick with a big filet on each.  Cooked them up, as usual, and even the family said they couldn't hold a candle the the aged ribeyes!  The taste was bland, in comparison, and not even close to the tenderness.  Don't get me wrong, they were really good steaks, but the dry-aging will definitely spoil you!  Proceed with caution, my friend! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2014, 10:52:18 PM »
See there you go Tony, I don't know if I can handle NOT having dry aged after this. It would be like being in heaven then brought back to Earth and to live this as usual. Or like never having Bacon then having some and then told you can never have any again.....such horrors.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2014, 10:54:15 PM »
So, you going to try it too, Ben?  It will ruin you on "regular" steaks! 
Tony from NW Arkansas

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2014, 11:08:19 PM »
Yes I am but first I am buying a small fridge for just meats so I can keep the main fridge open to other things.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2014, 11:18:00 PM »
Cool!  You should be able to do 2 bags at once, with a dedicated "meat" fridge!  I just took my last three out of the freezer from this batch.  Cooking them will be a day of mixed emotions.  So happy, because they're so good, but sad because they're the last! :(   I have to get another ribeye in the fridge SOON!! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2014, 08:48:38 PM »
Grilled the last 3 ribeyes this weekend.  Being vacuum sealed in the freezer, they thawed like fresh steaks.  If you don't have a vacuum sealer, get one! 

The family was sad that these were the last of them, so I need to get another ribeye in the fridge as soon as possible!  That way, I can have more of them the first week of April!

This will close the books on this thread.  I've gone through the whole process, and just ate the last results, and the entire experience was phenomenal!  I highly recommend the UMAi Dry Age bags, and recommend you try this (if you love great steaks).  I want to try this process on a big sirloin tip roast, and will definitely use it on this year's Christmas prime rib!! ;D   

Thanks for following on this one; hope you enjoyed the ride!

p.s. - you can still ask all the questions you want!  I'll help in any way, but I won't be posting any "new" info here about this ribeye....IT"S GONE! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

Walt

« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2014, 09:12:47 PM »
I received my sampler package from UMAI today.  Weston Pro2300 vac sealer arrives tomorrow.  Will be following your lead soon!
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2014, 09:35:05 PM »
You'll never look back on "ordinary" steaks again, Walt!  It will definitely ruin you! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas